Popular Tags: [View All]
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I came to the party late. I recently bought Evolution: Climate as a stand alone game. This game is a major surprise. I hope this game continues to get more attention because the game system is so simple, and yet, the card/player interaction appears to have great depth. I will withhold a rating until I have more plays under my belt with different player counts.

I have some thoughts about the game that I wanted to mention and get your thoughts.

Ways to add more variety to the game:

1) This game has amazing expansion potential. They could easily create an "advanced" trait deck that wholly replaces the standard deck or augments the deck. So an expansion would just be a new deck of cards and possibly some extra food tokens. It could have more traits, more interplay between traits, etc. etc. It could make the game even more thematic. The game would be longer but I think the game could be longer IF the game had more tactical and strategic decisions. Currently the game length feels right for the level of complexity. It feels similar in weight to, say, Viticulture. It could become something heavier like Through the Ages or Food Chain Magnate.

examples:

a) Various speed traits. Ones that allow you to jump ahead of the turn order when feeding. Evade attacks and/or improve attack success.

b) More detailed rules about scavenger trait. The amount of meat available for scavengers is limited by the body size of the animal killed.

c) Alternate to (a) above: You could have new boards that have a speed track. Turn order could be based on speed, attack and defense as well.

The possibilities are endless.

2) How could the game be made more strategic? Advanced rules could also add a time element to how long a particular species survives. So you would keep track of how many rounds each species survives and get points for that. This would give you a new strategic option (the game is very tactical currently). To balance that strategy, you could get a point for each species you create. So one strategy would be to churn out lots of species, and the counter to that would be to protect a few species for a long time. The food tokens would still go in the bag. But the number of species and age of species would be public. So you would have partial information about where you stand.

3) This game could easily have a team variant: 2v2, or 2v2v2. Sit next to your teammate and the right/left species interactions could extend to your teammate's species directly to your right/left. The table talk would be amazing.

Changes to make:

4) The rules to Evolution: Climate could use a rewrite in a number of places (IMHO). As an example, I don't think the Climate rules explicitly mention what the circles mean on the player boards. You can figure it out implicitly, but it wasn't clear on my first read of the rules. All compontents (especially player boards and cards) should have an explanation section that clarifies what each symbol and space means. When I looked in the original Evolution rules it included a feeding round example that made it clear where to put the food tokens, what the limits were etc. They did not include this example in the Climate rules.

Another example (a small thing): They should have explained what the background colors of the trait cards symbolized. You figure it out in time. Red helps carnivores, white protects from carnivores, etc. But not having an explanation in the rules can cause people to wonder if they are missing something.

I could point out other examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
The colors on the cards are described on the quick reference sheets. It's probably something that should have been in the rulebook as well, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
The colors on the cards are described on the quick reference sheets. It's probably something that should have been in the rulebook as well, though.

Ahh. Didn't notice that. Good catch. But it should be in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had had the same idea as you for Scavenger.

Re the speed track, the thing is whoever feeds first has that advantage but is at a disadvantage by not knowing what the players after them will play in terms of traits and body size.
So if you introduce speed, you nearly remove turn order and then, in what order would players play cards?

Lifespan of species – in the current game, the longer your species survive, the more cards you draw, so you do already have an incentive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
I had had the same idea as you for Scavenger.

Re the speed track, the thing is whoever feeds first has that advantage but is at a disadvantage by not knowing what the players after them will play in terms of traits and body size.
So if you introduce speed, you nearly remove turn order and then, in what order would players play cards?

Lifespan of species – in the current game, the longer your species survive, the more cards you draw, so you do already have an incentive.

I meant the speed only changing the "turn order" during feeding. Not when playing cards. Card play would be the same. I wasn't clear on that.

Re: lifespan. True. The cards you get are a benefit. You would have to have some increasing incentive to keep a species alive. And you would similarly have to have an increasing incentive to create more species. (Something with polynomial growth.)

Like this (I'm shooting from the hip here):

Rounds Survived <==> points recieved
1 0
2-3 2
4-5 5
6-7 10
8+ 20

(You get the point. The rounds and point totals would have to be adjusted to the length of the game, possibly number of players, etc.)

The table would have to try to beat down somebody who is going for this strategy. You would have something similar for number of species.

Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Alton
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This game is one of the current favorites with one of my groups. I love the idea of creating a team play variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
I meant the speed only changing the "turn order" during feeding. Not when playing cards. Card play would be the same. I wasn't clear on that.
Yes but then the order in which cards would be played would just be bad luck for whoever goes first more often, since there’s no longer the normal, built-in compensation of feeding order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That may be true. I haven't played enough to be able to balance my idea. And it might not work. Just something I thought of and threw it out there.

My overall point was that the game is very expandable because it is card driven. And it can be done with simple expansions that "plug in" a new game inside the same system.

Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RA_gamer wrote:

This game is one of the current favorites with one of my groups. I love the idea of creating a team play variant.

Yeah, so if your teamate is sitting to your right, then your right-most species could have cooperation with the species on its right, which is the left-most species of your teammate. :-)

Would be an easy experiment to try. I'm still learning the base game for now.

Edit:
I might consider having each team take their turns playing cards simultaneously. And during feeding each team would choose to feed one of their species. You would alternate teams. So the team would choose one species among both players species to feed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.