Subject: Favorite Euro combat system? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to get too far into the weeds of genre definitions, but I was just thinking about how most focus on combat systems tends to focus on Ameritrash or, of course, wargames. I was wondering what are some of your favorite Euro-style combat systems.

While both Eclipse and Dominant Species have been called "hybrid" Euros, it seems to me that the combat in DS is much more "Euroey", and I think I like that about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat in Inis is very deterministic, but still offers the defender a choice, and is related to hand management of cards that let you do literally everything else in the game. It's tight and delicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
While technically a wargame, I find the combat system in Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan to be somewhat euro-y and simply one of my favorite combat systems period. It revolves around what the designer refers to as "one-sided uncertainty," meaning you know exactly how much power you can generate, but you are uncertain of what your opponent can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euro combat system.

Isn't that an oxymoron?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
The combat in Inis is very deterministic, but still offers the defender a choice, and is related to hand management of cards that let you do literally everything else in the game. It's tight and delicious.

I can't stand the combat in Inis. Although to be fair, there's not much about Inis that I can stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gerritsen
New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cube tower in Shogun / Wallenstein is great. Both sides chuck their army cubes into the tower and wait to see what comes out the bottom.
Any cubes stuck in the tower will likely be dislodged in a later battle so a loss in one round can prime a victory in another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hart
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow's "combat system" for resolving a siege on a location is pretty freaking great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brown
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the combat system in Stronghold. Very deterministic with just enough hidden information to stay interesting. The idea of losing/winning one key battle by enough being all it takes to end the game makes the combat that much more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Raubythyme wrote:
A Few Acres of Snow's "combat system" for resolving a siege on a location is pretty freaking great.

+1

came here to say this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Simple deterministic elimination is time-tested and works well in many euroish games, e.g. the light wargame 2 de Mayo, the hard-to-classify abstract-euro-wargame Neuroshima Hex!, and the hut elimination in Clans. Also in certain Military worlds of Friese's 504.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation has 2 characters fight via their printed combat strength + simultaneously chosen combat value cards, high total beats low total. (If I recall, that's how Dungeon Twister works too, but it's been a very long time...)

Combat in Drako is card driven: dwarfs can play cards to melee attack or shoot, and the dragon can play cards to physically attack or to breathe a line of fire. Each attack card tells how much damage that particular card does. In both cases the defender can play cards to completely defend against one attack. Simple, fast and fun.

PeteyWA wrote:
Euro combat system.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Only the fourth comment. I wondered how quickly that one would come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much like the "modified Stratego" approach of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.

Not technically a Euro but Dune's gives agonizing decisions, maybe that's Euro enough if you squint at it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great combat in Euros:
Reef Encounter
Domaine
Rheinelander
Tigris & Euphrates
Fealty
Barony

Although you have to squint a bit to call some of these "combat" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike/Antike II and I presume Antike Duellum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
john gerritsen wrote:
The cube tower in Shogun / Wallenstein is great. Both sides chuck their army cubes into the tower and wait to see what comes out the bottom.
Any cubes stuck in the tower will likely be dislodged in a later battle so a loss in one round can prime a victory in another.
The amusing ashtray in Andromeda is quite good fun in a similar "perverse probability" effect (in that you can practically guarantee that when you've got ten cubes in there and your opponent has one, it will be theirs that comes out first...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like the combat in Tigres & Euphrates, Curt. And Shogun/Wallenstein also look like fun games to give a try.

I hadn't really heard about a lot of the other games on this list, so thanks to everyone for bringing some interesting games to my attention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is Polis: Fight for the Hegemony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of Thrones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stannis the King wrote:

That gets my vote for least favorite. And more generally, blind bidding in general where losers also pay their bid. In this case, you're effectively blind bidding with your combat cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Condottiere
Not a eurogame? What do you mean, not a eurogame? The game was even published by a company called 'Eurogames'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Stannis the King wrote:

That gets my vote for least favorite. And more generally, blind bidding in general where losers also pay their bid. In this case, you're effectively blind bidding with your combat cards.

Since Dune, blind bidding in combat is one of my favorite mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb

Maria is elegant, thinky, and models the willpower of a long war campaign with simple mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

May I ask what it is about the kind of combat that you describe that you dislike it so much?

Also, sidenote, I haven't played Game of Thrones, but doesn't it look kinda...Ameritrashy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sort of like asking for the most fuel efficient large SUV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:
This is sort of like asking for the most fuel efficient large SUV.

If I take your meaning correctly, you think that Euro mechanics all treat combat poorly and there's not much reason to compare them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.