Subject: Mythos Pack vs. Scenario Pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably a silly questions but Arkham Horror LCG is my first game of this type. I've purchased 1 core set and the Dunwich Legacy so far and have loved my experience. Before I go any further I wanted to make sure I understand the difference between the Mythos Packs and the Scenario Packs.

What are the major differences and what makes the most sense as far as what I should purchase next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario packs (Curse of the Rougarou, Carnivale of Horror) are standalone adventures. They only have scenario cards. There's rules to play them standalone or to do them as "sidequests" within a regular campaign.

Mythos packs (Miskatonic Museum, and more upcoming) are campaigns scenarios the continue the campaign in the latest big box expansion (Dunwich Legacy for now, eventually once this campaign is done they'll release a new big box and have the Mythos pack continue that campaign). They have both player cards (to build or upgrade decks) and scenario cards.

Which ones you want depend on your favored mode of play. Personally I am snatching up all of them anyway, but as a priority I definitely would rather complete the Dunwich Legacy campaign by buying up Mythos packs.

But the standalones are pretty cool so... argh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to continue the Dunwich Legacy campaign and/or get more player cards, you will need to buy the Mythos packs (starting with Miskatonic Museum).

If you just want some unique standalone scenarios with no player cards get the scenario packs (Curse of the Rougarou and Carnivale of Horrors).

I would say you should definitely get the Mythos packs. Only get the scenarios if you have played the campaign scenarios and want more, or if you prefer one-off scenarios instead of campaign play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythos packs is the Arkham Horror LCG name for it's scenario packs (the smallest box releases in the line). Netrunner calls them data packs, Conquest called them war packs, LOTR has adventure packs.

Mythos packs require a core set and a deluxe box to play. Each mythos pack belongs to a cycle of connected story scenarios. Each cycle has a linked deluxe box, which contains cards common to all scenarios in that cycle. Also they continue the campaign started in that deluxe box.

There are also Print on demand scenarios for Arkham Horror LCG and they are just outside the regular cycle releases. They only require a core set to play. The regular cycle releases all contain a scenario and new player cards. So far the print on demand scenario packs only contain scenario cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bennett
msg tools
Mythos Packs are part of a normal campaign cycle. So first they release a Deluxe expansion, such as Dunwich Legacy. This will be followed by 6 Mythos Packs, each of which adds a scenario to the existing Dunwich Legacy campaign. They will generally require the corresponding Deluxe expansion, and they add new player cards as well.

Scenario Packs are stand-alone scenarios, such as The Curse of the Rougarou and Carnivale of Horrors. They are print-on-demand, so their quality is a little lower, and they don't contain any regular player cards. They include all cards needed for the scenario, so you don't need any Deluxe expansion, and the only player cards they have are story assets, cards that you can gain from the scenario resolutions. There are rules to fit these packs into any campaign you are playing, or you can play them as single scenarios.

I agree with the others - since you have Dunwich already, you definitely will want to continue that campaign, so I think the Mythos packs would be most important. But the Scenario packs are really good, so I would look into getting them eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the future a set/collection of Mythos Packs are connected and require a deluxe expansion to play? The ones coming out now for Dunwich Legacy, but eventually another expansion comes out and then Mythos packs come out for it?

Also, does it matter what order I play the Mythos packs in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
yes after 6 mythos pack releases the Dunwich Legacy campaign will be over and they will release another deluxe box to kick off a new cycle campaign. Look at the LOTR LCG. The release structure will be almost identical to that as far as we can tell right now.

The mythos packs are meant to be played in release order starting with the deluxe box. The stories are written in that way and the campaign logs will reference previous resolutions. Though you can always play a scenario with the standalone rules. Therefore you don't need to buy and play them in order, but it's optimal to do it that way to get the most out of the story.

Add: Note each campaign is a separate experience so you don't need to buy the cycles in order. In the future when multiple full cycles are released you could just pick a cycle at random and start collecting it as long as you have a core set.

Though the player cards are designed to be legal throughout the life of the game so you can use any player card you have for any cycle released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythos packs expand a specific deluxe expansion.

Scenario packs can be played alone or during any campaign.

AC0990 wrote:

Together, they tell a complete story. Playing them as a campaign but out of order probably won't make sense (we don't have a lot of data points on this as of yet). You can play a given Mythos pack by itself, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon George
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AC0990 wrote:
So in the future a set/collection of Mythos Packs are connected and require a deluxe expansion to play? The ones coming out now for Dunwich Legacy, but eventually another expansion comes out and then Mythos packs come out for it?

The order matters much in the same way the order you play the core set scenarios matters. They form one linear story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L
msg tools
I'd recommend the mythos packs over the scenario packs. The entire dunwich legacy to date is brilliant: the scenarios are balanced, well-designed, and flavorful. The scenario packs, on the other hand, are a bit dicey. Still interesting, but more challenging and leaning more towards combat than narrative. I'd view them more as promos for the hardcore investigator who just can't wait for the next mythos pack (which, admittedly, is me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm playing the Core Game campaign.. can I upgrade with cards from the Dunwich Cycle campaign? Or is the answer, yes I can, but it would probably ruin the theme or something? Or no? It's totally fine mixing cards from different cycles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Totally fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Totally fine.

Cool. I was just wondering. Because for example, there's a Mythos pack whose story is on a train. And I was wondering if there were player cards that had you doing "train" stuff. Thus it would be weird to see those cards in the Core Set scenario.

I hope that makes sense. Haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Nah, player cards stay themed around the classes, with a bit of experience progression (packs later in a cycle tend to have higher level cards), not really around the scenario they show up in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.