Subject: Favorite dungeon crawl game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
I hear people talking about dungeon crawl games and not only have I never played one before, but I hadn't even heard about them until recently. Being a bit newer to gaming I wanted to ask what your favorite dungeon crawl games are and maybe what you would recommend trying as a beginner to see if I am a fan of them or not? I bet there are other threads about this but upon initial search I didn't really see what I was looking for. Feel free to throw in some links of other threads if you know of some good ones right off the back. Thanks in advance for your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games are my favorites and also among the best for beginners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clank! is my favorite dungeon crawl game, but I'm not sure if that's actually the type of game you're looking for.

My big question to you is Evil Overlord or no Evil Overlord? They are two different beasts. If you are looking for a game without a player acting as the overlord, then I would say check out Gloomhaven. There is going to be a kickstarter in April from the same designer for a different game in the same universe that will have a tier for the 2nd print run of Gloomhaven.

If you want a dungeon crawl that has someone acting as the overlord, I'd say look into descent 2nd edition if you like fantasy or Imperial Assault if you like Star wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Gloomhaven for a beginner?

He probably wants something a bit faster-paced and light, not the heaviest dungeon crawler ever created that takes hours and hours to play and is nearly unobtainable anyway.

I'd recommend HeroQuest if it wasn't out of print. Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) might be a good one for you.

If it's relevant at all, my big draw to dungeon crawls are games where your character makes personal progress over a series of games (a campaign). A quick and easy combat mechanic is also good, to keep the gameplay moving, and to allow you to fight against scores of monsters. And then there's loot! Finding new, rare stuff to equip your character is one of the best things for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) with the Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend app. It'll eliminate the need for someone playing as a overlord (dungeon master)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients but I wouldn't recooked it to start out with. I would probably recommend Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. It doesn't take place in a dungeon per we, but you do all the same things, fight monsters, collect loot, look for puzzles to solve, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Though not strictly a dungeon crawl(but close enough), I would recommend Zombicide: Black Plague for a beginner.
Its a nice gatewayish crawl-like with simple rules and good tableappeal.

The Dungeons and Dragons Games, as mentioned, also a good place to start.

If you want something even simpler/lighter than those Masmorra could be a option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get Warhammer Quest. Easy to learn. And actually better then Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you prefer for the enemies to be controlled by the game itself without the need of a player to control them, AND don't mind assembling and possibly painting miniatures, then Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower is a good choice and is one of my favorites. Putting the miniatures together is way more difficult than learning the game, so it's good for a beginner in a sense.

If you prefer the enemies to be controlled by a player and don't mind a sci-fi theme, Level 7 [Omega Protocol] is also really fun and goes over really well with new players in my experience.

Lastly, if you like big, flashy but highly overpriced games that are surprisingly simply to learn and really fun and tense, there is Space Hulk (fourth edition). I don't actually recommend it as it is really expensive and hard to find, I just like to mention it because it doesn't get a lot of love. It's available in digital form on PC and iOS though!

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
In my experience as a new gamer(only about 3 years in), I would say that as a new gamer choosing simpler games is the way to go.

My third game was Eldritch Horror and man was I not ready for that rulebook, I got there eventually, but let me tell you it was a struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I quite enjoy Dungeon Crawlers and have played several, but I have to say that my absolute favorite, which I've only recently played, is Vast: The Crystal Caverns. However, it may not be the most representative of the genre as a whole, so maybe not the ideal starting point. Also, it's in a bit of short supply at the moment, so it may not be easy to come by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I will throw out a recommendation for Mice and Mystics, If you are looking for a cheaper entry point I would recommend the D&D games you should be able to pick one up used pretty easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Appleyard
Scotland
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that the D&D games are a good place to start. Personally I would try Temple of Elemental Evil. Outside D&D, Perdition's Mouth is interesting and a bit different from others in this genre. Quite difficult though. It may also be worth looking at the forthcoming Sword & Sorcery which should be released very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Assault on Doomrock, which is fully cooperative.
However: Somewhat hard to find right now (although it should have another print run some time in 2017 or 2018), and hard to win. Only play this if you enjoy a challenge.

But if you do, it's great: It has a really clever questing and adventuring system, and combat is abstracted in a very clever way. Furthermore, while you roll dice, they can't completely hose you if you build your character the right way: Which numbers you roll just determines which actions you can do that round. Actions you choose that way always succeed.

Thematically there are lots of little jabs at the dungeon-crawling theme itself, spoofs of classic fantasy tropes. I find those really funny.

As I said, this is not easy to get right now, but if you happen upon a used copy somewhere at a decent price, I very highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
Although we occasionally play more than 2 payer, most of the games we play are just my wife and I. We want to try a game that gives a taste of the genre to see if we enjoy it but not put a lot of money into it right off the back. Can you play dungeon crawlers 2 player and if so are there any that are really enjoyable with only two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love dungeon crawling in video games... but I haven't really found a board game yet that scratches that itch. D&D is a little heavy for me though, so I have to admit I haven't played anything like that just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Appleyard
Scotland
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:
Although we occasionally play more than 2 payer, most of the games we play are just my wife and I. We want to try a game that gives a taste of the genre to see if we enjoy it but not put a lot of money into it right off the back. Can you play dungeon crawlers 2 player and if so are there any that are really enjoyable with only two?

In that case I'd definitely just start with whichever of the D&D series you can pick up at the most reasonable price. They will give you the flavour of these games. I would suggest you do want a game with an integral AI rather than an overlord if you're playing 2 player as you'll probably get more enjoyment from the cooperative aspect which is, for me, one of the best aspects of the dungeon crawl. Other than that, playing 2 player should be fine. You'll probably each want to run a couple of characters to give your party a balance but as these games all allow stand-alone scenarios that won't be an issue. If you decide you like the game style you'll be able to find ones that play a campaign with character development over time. You could argue that, when you play campaign style, handling multiple characters is a distraction from the immersion of developing a personality over time. In the end though these are boardgames not RPG's so the true immersion in character development is limited anyway and I've never found it an issue to play multiple characters in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest 1995, accept no substitutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:
If you prefer the enemies to be controlled by a player and don't mind a sci-fi theme, Level 7 [Omega Protocol] is also really fun and goes over really well with new players in my experience.

arthurcucumber wrote:
Warhammer Quest 1995, accept no substitutes.

I never ever understand why in all of these recommendation threads people insist on recommending hard to find out of print games???

I feel like when people ask for a recommendation they are generally asking for a game they can purchase in the immediate future. That being said...

+1 for Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) being new to dungeon crawls that game will give you both options for play to see what you like. Do you like the one versus all aspect, or do you like total co-op which you can do with the app.

Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia should be no the shelves soon as well, that is a fun light dice chucker that you can play competitively and cooperatively. So that one has a couple of options in the box as well.

I would avoid Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients at first unless price isn't a factor. You can grab descent and even a couple of expansions or hero and monster packs for the same price. It is an amazing game with great character progression, just going to cost you more upfront.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:

Lastly, if you like big, flashy but highly overpriced games that are surprisingly simply to learn and really fun and tense, there is Space Hulk (fourth edition). I don't actually recommend it as it is really expensive and hard to find, I just like to mention it because it doesn't get a lot of love. It's available in digital form on PC and iOS though!

Hope this helps.

Space Hulk 4th is in print and available for $125.00 on the Games Workshop website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Only because someone has brought up Level 7 Omega Protocol, I'll mention the newest DOOM from FFG. I'm a big fan of this game, it's less of a dungeon crawl than it is a mission based "in your face shoot-em-up", but I think it scratches the same itch as Level 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:

That's how I usually play games as well and it's one of my favorite genres.
Now as far as dungeon crawlers go they are almost always fairly complex.
Most will also have one player playing the bad guys.
Most will require one player to handle multiple characters.
For the above reasons most don't work well with just two players. And for these same reasons that I would not suggest Descent or Imperial Assault.

One question to ask is are you open to adventure style games?
Another question to ask then is do you want a co-op or competitive experience?

The reason to ask these questions of yourself is because typically both adventure games and dungeon crawls perform the same function - pick a character, kill monsters, complete quests, gain loot and level up.

Another thing to ask is are you all right assembling miniatures?
If not you will want avoid any Games Workshop games or the Shadows of Brimstone series.

My favorites to play with my wife and work really well two player are as follows:

Runebound (Third Edition)
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
DungeonQuest Revised Edition

These aren't technically dungeon crawls per se buy they are all an RPG lite experience.
As mentioned the D&D board games work well 2 player and are not very complex. You might also wish to check out Massive Darkness which will be releasing this summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dizzybit wrote:
Only because someone has brought up Level 7 Omega Protocol, I'll mention the newest DOOM from FFG. I'm a big fan of this game, it's less of a dungeon crawl than it is a mission based "in your face shoot-em-up", but I think it scratches the same itch as Level 7.

Actually now that you mention DOOM. You could look into the new second edition of alien vs predator too. I know lots of people have lots of negative things to say about the company. Sounds like the kickstarter for the first edition was a disaster and people still haven't received there pledges. I personally bought at retail and have had good experiences even with the customer service getting stuff replaced (one of the major complaints of a lot of backers!). The second edition ships soon and you should still be able to predorder it here....

http://shop.prodosgames.com/home/291-avp-the-hunt-begins-sec...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:

I should also actually mention that I also rarely play with more than 2 players (same boat the wife and I). One versus all games are fine with 2 if and only if one player is comfortable playing multiple characters. Some people out there even like them more at two. You can get all alpha gamer on it and make all the decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barx M
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each of us has slightly different tastes so coming here to get a list is a good first step, if you haven’t done so already the next step would be go to the game pages and read their descriptions and watch video reviews. Usually the reviews will have a breakdown of how the game is played so you can get a feel of complexity and if the game is right for you. Or just got to Youtube and search for the game and watch how the games play.

I would suggest Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) or one of the Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game games. You have enough games in your collection for me to lean toward recommending that you look into Descent.

I love Decent and usually play it as a co-op with a friend against the app, so you and your wife should be ok. It is a little more complex than the dungeons and dragons games, and depending on the heroes you select it can be a bit more difficult, but it also has a lot more character progression that carries from game to game. There are rules for playing with two so you don't have to play with multiple characters.

I started with the DnD games, but once I found Descent I haven’t gone back to them. Don’t get me wrong, the DnD games are fun especially when playing as one of your favorite heroes, but in Descent you have random encounters, many dungeons leading up to the boss dungeon, and meaningful character advancement through skill selection and equipment. Not to mention once you finish you will likely want to try and play through the campaign again with another hero combination.

The base game for Descent and the DnD games are about the same price as well.

Also, I see you own Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia and enjoy it… that IS a dungeon crawl. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.