Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Cards: DC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone, Terry Tibke here.

Over the past several months I've been testing out each and every one of these new cards I created, playing with a group of 4. There are several ideas here that are nice variations on existing card rules that I think you'll like.

Feedback is, of course, welcome, and feel free to try any of these out.

I'm finally posting these to generate some interest for what will probably be my masterpiece DC Deck Building set. It needs more testing still, but I'll show you soon.

Line-Up Ongoing: These effects affect players while the card remains in the line-up, typically on your turn.

Events: Inspired by Crisis cards, these are typically easier to obtain, and are obtained by one player, not a whole team.

-Start the game with 8 of these shuffled into the Main Deck.
-If an Event is revealed in the opening Line-Up, shuffle it back into the Main deck.
-If a second Event comes out while one is in the line-up, it goes on top of the previous Event, and becomes the only one active. Once that Event is Defeated, the Event underneath will go back into effect.


Super Heroes























3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Events
In order to defeat an event, you must first do what's required TO DEFEAT, and then buy the Event from the line-up like a typical card. Each Event is worth a number of Victory Points. You do not add Events to your deck, but keep those you've gained until the end of the game when VPs are counted.

You'll also notice that Speedforce Crisis, Thanagarian Invasion, and Love Amidst War, all require something of a "Self-Tagging". I.E. they refer to an image or knowledge of something, rather than what's printed on a card. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. Feel free to not include these if that bothers you.

























1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Equipment/Super Powers/Heroes/Villains
I actually thought I had some more of these, but realized they're on an old PC. I will need to restore cards like Jim Gordon, Oswald Cobblepot, and Super Heroes Mister Miracle and Catwoman. Several others.





































 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Super-Villains





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing a quick pass, only looking for things that are notably over/under powered, and/or confusing.

Vibe:
"Defend" based abilities tend to work in theory, but fall short in practice. The general issue is that there aren't a ton of Defense cards in the deck, and EVERYONE wants to get some.
Problems I see with this card: If you defend 2 attacks in the same turn, you might get no benefit from the 2nd (or 3rd...) Defenses.
Also, the ability ONLY works on Defense, giving you no bonus during your turn.

Vixen:
Reword to keep things consistent "Once per turn, reveal the top card of your deck, if it's a hero you may play that card and then return it to the top of your deck"

Metron (both versions):
Would suggest adding another word to the title. Having 2 different cards with identical names is not ideal. Also, the cards neglect to mention where the Hero/Villain that goes on top comes from, presumably their Discard pile.
Metron (Hero version):
Unless I'm missing something, this card is just horrible, and I don't know why anyone would ever buy it.
+1 Power for cost 5 is bad enough, but the "Attack" is pure upside for your opponents.
Metron (Villain version):
Better than the Hero version, but still gives your opponents their choice of Hero on top their deck.

Riddler:
The Line-Up should maybe have text stipulating that it checks at the start of your turn, otherwise any amount of card draw can mess with things, and just leads to questions.

Scarecrow & Toyman:
These cards are strictly worse than Kicks.
The only 'incentive' to buy them is to avoid the Line-Up Ongoing penalty, but this just sticks you with a bad card, giving your opponents a slight advantage, as they don't have sub-par cards in their deck.

Despero:
"If any of those cards are the same type, choose and discard an additional card".
Do only the ones with matching types discard the extras? or does everyone have to discard another card?

Mad Hatter:
Do you play the extra card and instantly return it? (so it is available for purchase the same turn)
OR do you play the extra card and return it at end of turn? (so you can NOT buy it same turn)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
Doing a quick pass, only looking for things that are notably over/under powered, and/or confusing.

Vibe:
"Defend" based abilities tend to work in theory, but fall short in practice. The general issue is that there aren't a ton of Defense cards in the deck, and EVERYONE wants to get some.
Problems I see with this card: If you defend 2 attacks in the same turn, you might get no benefit from the 2nd (or 3rd...) Defenses.
Also, the ability ONLY works on Defense, giving you no bonus during your turn.

Vixen:
Reword to keep things consistent "Once per turn, reveal the top card of your deck, if it's a hero you may play that card and then return it to the top of your deck"

Metron (both versions):
Would suggest adding another word to the title. Having 2 different cards with identical names is not ideal. Also, the cards neglect to mention where the Hero/Villain that goes on top comes from, presumably their Discard pile.
Metron (Hero version):
Unless I'm missing something, this card is just horrible, and I don't know why anyone would ever buy it.
+1 Power for cost 5 is bad enough, but the "Attack" is pure upside for your opponents.
Metron (Villain version):
Better than the Hero version, but still gives your opponents their choice of Hero on top their deck.

Riddler:
The Line-Up should maybe have text stipulating that it checks at the start of your turn, otherwise any amount of card draw can mess with things, and just leads to questions.

Scarecrow & Toyman:
These cards are strictly worse than Kicks.
The only 'incentive' to buy them is to avoid the Line-Up Ongoing penalty, but this just sticks you with a bad card, giving your opponents a slight advantage, as they don't have sub-par cards in their deck.

Despero:
"If any of those cards are the same type, choose and discard an additional card".
Do only the ones with matching types discard the extras? or does everyone have to discard another card?

Mad Hatter:
Do you play the extra card and instantly return it? (so it is available for purchase the same turn)
OR do you play the extra card and return it at end of turn? (so you can NOT buy it same turn)


All very good initial observations. I'll make some adjustments for each of these.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm using this as an example for the Line-Up Ongoing effects. Card A, below, is the Toyman card I came up with initially.

I thought by simply having the Line-Up Ongoing effect, players would want to gain the card to stop the effect from constantly affecting them. Therefore, giving lower Power or effects as a card in your deck would make this a difficult decision. However, this has been pointed out as probably flawed.

So, A1 and A2 are improvements to this in two different ways. I'd like to know which you find more appealing? Notice the Power difference and the VP difference.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some very powerful character cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Those are some very powerful character cards.


Not exceptionally so though? Do you have some specifics? A few have been played amidst other base set and HU set cards a handful of times, but the rest have been played many many times with other Base/HU characters.

Most have been balanced down to a level that's not out of line. Let me know your thoughts though, for sure. Thanks for taking a look.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T_Tibke wrote:
So, A1 and A2 are improvements to this in two different ways. I'd like to know which you find more appealing? Notice the Power difference and the VP difference.


The closest existing card I can find (which is pretty darn close actually) is High Tech Hero(base).
"If you play or have played Super Power or Equipment this turn, +3 Power. Otherwise, +1 Power."
So for the A1 version I'd probably either make it +3 Power/+1 Power OR keep the +3/+2 and restrict it to just Equipment.

Personally I like A2 a little better, just because it messes with the VP curve a bit. I don't think there are any other cards with cost 3 (or even 4 for that matter) that are worth 2 VP straight up.

In either case, make sure to specify "if you have played...another Villain".

T_Tibke wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
Those are some very powerful character cards.


Not exceptionally so though? Do you have some specifics?...Let me know your thoughts though, for sure. Thanks for taking a look.


A lot of them play around in not well established space, so it's hard to tell just by looking.

Captain Atom, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter are all very much better in large games than they are with 2 people. There are existing Super Heroes/Villains that obviously get better with more people (Red Lantern Supergirl(C2), Harley Quinn(FE)), so this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just makes them harder to balance.

First important thing to check, are any of them crazy good in the first couple turns? As a balancing point, do they fall off enough late game to offset the early bonus?
The only 2 concerns here are:
Green Lantern, who ALWAYS gets at least +1 Power.
Late game: With 1 opponent he's also ALWAYS stuck with ONLY +1 Power. Against 4 opponents you're looking at a typical bonus of +2 or +3, which is decent, but not overpowering.
Overall I'd say he's probably OK.

Fire Storm is VERY good early game. He can freely destroy the Weakest cards in his deck AND get a bonus by doing so.
Late game: you no longer have any starters to destroy and unless you're playing a "Forever Evil"-like base set you have little reason to destroy your other cards. BUT you can freely ditch Weaknesses for profit.
Overall, I'd say he's probably a bit too good. High risk of snowballing the early game, and has reliable Anti-Weakness power afterwards. Also compare to Bane(FE) who can only destroy cards with cost 1+ for +2 Power.
Firestorm might be OK with just the "destroy Starter for +1" part of his ability and nothing else. OR make him have to do -something- in order to Destroy a card.

Vibe/Dr. Fate
Is the "put back on top or bottom" and all or nothing thing? Or mix-n-match (e.g. 2 on top and 3 on bottom)?
If it's mix-n-match then Dr. Fate is on the powerful side, but maybe not too much so. Compare Ozymandius(X4) who basically looks at the top 6, keeps 5 and puts one back on top. If it's all/nothing then Dr. Fate is maybe a tad weak.
Vibe, my main issue is the "only triggers when defending an attack" part. Overall weak as-is, regardless of all/nothing or mix-n-match.

Captain Atom, comparable to Rorschach(X4) who only gets to play 1 opponents card, but can use it regardless of type. Possibly balanced enough by the Super Power restriction, makes it a lot easier to get nothing in return.
(Captain Atom should have text to the effect of "play and then return to the top of their deck")

Hawkgirl: 2 Heroes/turn might be a bit much, but they do go to the bottom of the deck, so there's no inherent card advantage.

Huntress: This is such an odd ability I'm not sure without actually trying it out.

Robin: gets a LOT of bonuses out of 1 Equipment, then again, most of the bonuses are tied to some of the weakest cards in your deck...Probably OK.

The Ray: Probably OK, possibly a little weak, depends on how many card-draw-Super-Powers are in the deck.

Vixen: One of the weakest of the group. Without ways to "put a Hero on top of your deck" she'll likely miss more often than not, especially in the early game. Has the potential to be a late-game powerhouse though if you get enough Heroes/Deck-stacking.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
T_Tibke wrote:


The closest existing card I can find (which is pretty darn close actually) is High Tech Hero(base).
"If you play or have played Super Power or Equipment this turn, +3 Power. Otherwise, +1 Power."
So for the A1 version I'd probably either make it +3 Power/+1 Power OR keep the +3/+2 and restrict it to just Equipment.

Personally I like A2 a little better, just because it messes with the VP curve a bit. I don't think there are any other cards with cost 3 (or even 4 for that matter) that are worth 2 VP straight up.

In either case, make sure to specify "if you have played...another Villain".

-- All good points again. Yes, I didn't consider High-Tech Hero as a good comparison for this. You're right. I also lean towards A2 I think, for that exact reason. I'm going to test some more of these "Line-Up Ongoing" cards out with a similar adjustment to VP and card strength and I'll report back.

T_Tibke wrote:
[q="Jlerpy"]Those are some very powerful character cards.


A lot of them play around in not well established space, so it's hard to tell just by looking.

Captain Atom, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter are all very much better in large games than they are with 2 people. There are existing Super Heroes/Villains that obviously get better with more people (Red Lantern Supergirl(C2), Harley Quinn(FE)), so this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just makes them harder to balance.

First important thing to check, are any of them crazy good in the first couple turns? As a balancing point, do they fall off enough late game to offset the early bonus?

--This is something I try to take a look at after several testing sessions, yes.

The only 2 concerns here are:
Green Lantern, who ALWAYS gets at least +1 Power.
Late game: With 1 opponent he's also ALWAYS stuck with ONLY +1 Power. Against 4 opponents you're looking at a typical bonus of +2 or +3, which is decent, but not overpowering.
Overall I'd say he's probably OK.

Fire Storm is VERY good early game. He can freely destroy the Weakest cards in his deck AND get a bonus by doing so.
Late game: you no longer have any starters to destroy and unless you're playing a "Forever Evil"-like base set you have little reason to destroy your other cards. BUT you can freely ditch Weaknesses for profit.
Overall, I'd say he's probably a bit too good. High risk of snowballing the early game, and has reliable Anti-Weakness power afterwards. Also compare to Bane(FE) who can only destroy cards with cost 1+ for +2 Power.

Firestorm might be OK with just the "destroy Starter for +1" part of his ability and nothing else. OR make him have to do -something- in order to Destroy a card.

--Good observations. Firestorm
started off with a +2 Power when destroying any card, and DEFINITELY hit that early game snowball mark. Thus the adjustment to the +1 only for Starters, and still +2 for cards cost 1 or greater (nobody wanted to destroy much after the 1 cost threshold was met pretty consistently for only +1 Power). It's possible he is a bit OP still, especially considering this card, Nuclear Fission:




Vibe/Dr. Fate
Is the "put back on top or bottom" and all or nothing thing? Or mix-n-match (e.g. 2 on top and 3 on bottom)?
If it's mix-n-match then Dr. Fate is on the powerful side, but maybe not too much so. Compare Ozymandius(X4) who basically looks at the top 6, keeps 5 and puts one back on top. If it's all/nothing then Dr. Fate is maybe a tad weak.

--This is a mix and match (top and bottom) and draws you no additional cards. Simply a powerful filter mechanism. Often you end up with all 3 Vulnerabilities in a hand eventually, because they've been shifted to the bottom several times.

Vibe, my main issue is the "only triggers when defending an attack" part. Overall weak as-is, regardless of all/nothing or mix-n-match.

--I've been considering this since you said it, and it makes a good deal of sense. I couldn't figure this out because some of my Defense related abilities did still feel fine, because they allow increased Defenses from other cards and happened frequently enough still. I'm thinking this change to Vibe might be good, but will test:

Each time you avoid an Attack, reveal the top 5 cards of the Main Deck. Gain 1 card of cost 3 or less and put the rest on the top or bottom in any order.

It allows a permanent gain based on a defense, which does feel a bit better, over a temporary bonus. Shazam seems the closest comparison to something like this, but without this sort of trigger. We'll see how it goes.


Captain Atom, comparable to Rorschach(X4) who only gets to play 1 opponents card, but can use it regardless of type. Possibly balanced enough by the Super Power restriction, makes it a lot easier to get nothing in return.
(Captain Atom should have text to the effect of "play and then return to the top of their deck")

--Thanks. So far he's got some mild peaks and valleys but feels about right.

Hawkgirl: 2 Heroes/turn might be a bit much, but they do go to the bottom of the deck, so there's no inherent card advantage.

Huntress: This is such an odd ability I'm not sure without actually trying it out.

--Try it. It's fun. She has a bad early game that ramps to a really nice late game as the Super-Villains start getting taken down more frequently.

Robin: gets a LOT of bonuses out of 1 Equipment, then again, most of the bonuses are tied to some of the weakest cards in your deck...Probably OK.

--I've never been satisfied w/ any of the Robin's out there, so I went through 6 or so iterations to get this, working with a punches and kicks theme thing. It was tricky to ever make it powerful enough without the additional card draw.

The Ray: Probably OK, possibly a little weak, depends on how many card-draw-Super-Powers are in the deck.

--Yes, depends on the deck composition, just like several depend on number of players. Usually feels about right.

Vixen: One of the weakest of the group. Without ways to "put a Hero on top of your deck" she'll likely miss more often than not, especially in the early game. Has the potential to be a late-game powerhouse though if you get enough Heroes/Deck-stacking.


--And this Vixen, is absolutely not the Vixen I play with, lol. It was an alternative I never tested. But I do have this card that is meant to help these types of Super Heroes:


and...


And I reassembled the old Wonder Girl I had made before TT came out. Here she is, as well as the other Vixen. I'm still not sure if I want to keep Vixen like this or not.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mister Miracle
As I mentioned last week, I've several others I've not uploaded yet. Here are some of them. Some have been tested quite a bit, while others only a few times.

Mister Miracle


and...

Escape Artistry

This card has been tested only a few times. It's very powerful, but I'm trying to determine if it's any more powerful than Blue Beetle, really. I can pretty confidently say only 1 copy should be included in the Main Deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gotham Line
Here are a handful of Batman related cards I did after watching Gotham -- not particularly directly related to the show or anything. And yes, a few were included up above. This just groups them together.















1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
T_Tibke wrote:
As I mentioned last week, I've several others I've not uploaded yet. Here are some of them. Some have been tested quite a bit, while others only a few times.

Mister Miracle


and...

Escape Artistry

This card has been tested only a few times. It's very powerful, but I'm trying to determine if it's any more powerful than Blue Beetle, really. I can pretty confidently say only 1 copy should be included in the Main Deck.


Very good cards. Well done!

Mister miracle oversized super hero should be worded differently though


" you may use a defense card in the line up or your discard pile to avoid an attack.
The first time you play a defense during each of your turns, draw a card."

Fixed up the wording and gave him a chance while it's his turn.

Also the super power is a great defense, it should just read look this though.

"ONGOING: DEFENSE: you may discard a starter to avoid an attack.

If you play a card with a cost of 3 or greater from your hand, put this card on the bottom of your deck. "

Make sure to break up the text so people don't get confused. Also no need to write the ongoing stuff, I'm pretty sure people know already lol.


Either than that you have really powerful super heroes, but I'm one to play with strong super heroes instead of weak ones.

Also amazing main deck cards, the event cards ARE AMAZING ideas. Have you been play testing still?



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mrlebarican wrote:
T_Tibke wrote:
As I mentioned last week, I've several others I've not uploaded yet. Here are some of them. Some have been tested quite a bit, while others only a few times...


Very good cards. Well done!

Mister miracle oversized super hero should be worded differently though


" you may use a defense card in the line up or your discard pile to avoid an attack.
The first time you play a defense during each of your turns, draw a card."

Fixed up the wording and gave him a chance while it's his turn.

Also the super power is a great defense, it should just read look this though.

"ONGOING: DEFENSE: you may discard a starter to avoid an attack.

If you play a card with a cost of 3 or greater from your hand, put this card on the bottom of your deck. "

Make sure to break up the text so people don't get confused. Also no need to write the ongoing stuff, I'm pretty sure people know already lol.


Either than that you have really powerful super heroes, but I'm one to play with strong super heroes instead of weak ones.

Also amazing main deck cards, the event cards ARE AMAZING ideas. Have you been play testing still?


Thank you, yes, that wording is clear and far more concise.

Some of these Super Heroes are still a bit too strong, and need more testing, yes. As for additional playtesting--especially with Events--see my Justice League Dark set and the implementation of the Event cards AND Hidden Objective cards at this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1756715/custom-cards-justic....

And of course, thanks for the feedback!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.