Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Sheppard
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to get familiar with the mode I wanted to play with people. I played a 3 player semi-coop by myself and was struggling the entire time to cover the basic needs, Oxygen, Medicine and Food for the colony, let alone even worry about what the scenario wanted.

What are some tips for a bad colonist?

What are some good first cycle actions to take?

What are your thoughts on the events, unnecessarily cruel or just right?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get some energy generation going immediately. Building the lab and getting the 4th time unit is also a high priority.

Getting medicine was hard enough that I don't try in the early cycles. I'll use my extra time to just get them out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add a few more and even second one.

Energy production is a must. Don't hesitate to make that Priority #1.

Also the 4th time unit is pretty important.

I don't worry so much about medicine if I can get an expert who can make it for me instead. I forgot the name of them, but they require like $4, energy, and water to produce one medicine. Not sure in a 3 player game but in solo, that's my medicine maker.

I think the events are right on. Some of them make me wipe my forebrow and breathe out a 'whew' while others make me curse the heavens. To me, that's the sweet spot. Curse or sigh in relief.

Also to alleviate strains on your production, researching the techs to have one less disease or oxygen need every cycle is pretty sweet if you build them early on.

So obviously, most of these require excavating to use. I originally thought upgrading to using the crane was useful and while it can be, it's not necessary. Even the Geologist isn't as useful as I first thought. Sure, there are tiles with 3 resources on them but there are far more without than with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Physician is great as he'll convert one Medicine and $4 to remove two Disease tokens.

The Geologist works well as it alleviates the deleterious effects of an Earthquake Weather card.

Yes, get Energy production up and running!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Sheppard
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all good points. Especially to ignore medicine, since it takes more actions and time to make than then penalty.

In the other thread "Flaw", OP brings this up and also to ignore hunger tokens because it is easier to make money with the regolith cards than to actually farm. This (unintentionally?) is kinda interesting, thematically at least. It probably would be easier to trade/sell minerals to Earth for Food.

Giving the penalties an incentive over doing the thematic actions I feel takes away from the theme entirely. The theme is what drew me to it initially. A little disappointing.

Has anyone been able to meet all 3 basic needs for all 4 cycles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick,

I've played a dozen games and won nine and lost three (these include Solo and co-op), but in every one I pursued removing the Hunger, Oxygen, and Disease tokens. Also, I researched DNA Modification for at least one of the teams and Birth Rate Management to ensure I had access to the last set of Colonists. Most of the time I succeeded in removing the tokens, but sometimes the Events proved too much of an impediment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Sheppard
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe,
I'd love to see a detailed session report or a full walk through video. I must be doing something wrong because in the couple attempts I don't see how it's possible to have enough actions to clear all the tokens every cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick,

I'll try to do that with one of my next games. As you may guess, it's exceptionally time-consuming. As to retrieving all of your tokens. I would suggest taking ALL of your actions (three Time Units) during the 1st Cycle's 1st Round; retrieving your Astronauts at the beginning of the 2nd Round to take a total of two Actions in order to open the Lab, research Birth Rate Management, and get some Energy Production up-and-running.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Degnan
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other strategy that has really helped me out a lot is utilizing one Action Marker for multiple time units. This means I spend less time recreating (in real life that would be a bummer!) and more time working.

The challenge of this game is that recreation action, it eats up SO much of your time, when many rounds you only have 2 to work with due to an event.

Getting the 4th time action from the Lab is helpful, but make sure you get enough energy if you do that! I have done this a couple times but since it takes 3 time (one entire turn) to make this, I ended up running out of energy because I wanted to do more actions due to the extra time. I usually can manage with 3 time, and less energy as long as I am efficient as possible with my action markers.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Dickinson
Canada
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Well, just finished my first solo game and took the approach of only trying to clear the oxygen markers every cycle and ignoring the disease and food tokens and just taking my lumps in dealing with those penalties.

All was going well and I was convinced I was on my way to an easy victory. Until I realized at the end of the 3rd cycle that in order to beat the scenario I had to fulfill all the scenario goals AND clear all the requirement tokens from the living quarters... Oops, lol

By that point I wasn't equipped to deal with disease and hunger and I was scrambling to take care of those while finishing the last couple scenario requirements.

In the end, I didn't have enough actions to make it all happen and I lost. Next time I won't be so quick to ignore those hunger and disease tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad,

Ignoring the Oxygen, Hunger, and Disease tokens can really hamper progress. Do not be surprised if the 1st Cycle is comprised of clearing O2 and setting-up Energy Installations. By and large, the 2nd Cycle focuses on clearing tokens from the Quarters, establishing DNA Modification and/or Birth Rate Management, and hiring key Assistants and Experts.

In short, I love this game!

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.