Eric Stevenson

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resolution phase:

Determining "winner" at each location mat.
Comparing poker hands clearly wins one person the winners pot.
But what about a whether a player receives the reward from the resolution side of a placement spot?

Say for example:

On the resolution side of a placement spot:
Yellow player is injured and on its side
Red player defeated the yellow player and is on top of the yellow players piece in this spot (also on the resolution side)

During the resolution phase, the yellow player has the winning poker hand and clearly wins the winners pot.

BUT, what about the Red player, in this circumstance does the red player get the resolution spot reward (they are the one standing) or are they not eligible because they lost the overall poker hand?

The rules are slightly unclear on this in the beginning of the Phase Three Resolution heading, but I THINK this is addressed under the "Winning the Hand" header and it seems to be what Rodney Smith indicates in his video too. This was just something we struggled with during a play today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Riemenschnitter
msg tools
interesting question - after looking at the rules again, i'm not sure where exactly i got the idea - but how we've been playing is that the red player would still be eligible for the resolution spot award, but would play against the rival's hand for that instead of the yellow player (since they were beaten in the duel).

then, for the winner's pot, the red player would play against the yellow player's hand (and, in your example, lose).

but now you've got me curious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to win the poker hand to gain the rewards at the resolution spot. Whether against the house or another player, and whether they're standing or wounded.

Here's a few links to official answers.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23816931#23816931

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23842655#23842655
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

While I agree that the wording could be a little clearer, I submit that the paragraph referenced by the OP ("WINNING THE HAND"), page 13, covers it well enough. Plus it's also a bolded rule on page 8.

Let's look at page 8 first... it says (of the Resolution side of the spot):
"...gain 2 of the influence shown, during Resolution, if you win the hand."
(underlining is mine)

Now per the paragraph referenced by the OP:
The opening sentence of that paragraph implies beyond a doubt that there is only one winning player per location. Then the 2nd sentence goes on to say that if the winning player is [also] not wounded and on the Resolution side of a spot, they gain that benefit as well.

So if Red didn't win the pot, then that sentence wouldn't apply to Red.

And finally, you'll notice the "stack of chips" icon printed on the Resolution side of the spot, next to the benefit. Well, if you look at the back side of a player's mat (Player's Aid card), you'll see that the "stack of chips" icon means "Winner's Pot", which is to say that, that benefit is enabled only by the winner's pot (i.e., you must win the winner pot to be able to claim the benefit).

But yes, the rulebook could've coalesced and clarified all that a bit more neatly than it did! But it's there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.