The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Long Arm of Mordor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This feels like another one of those scenarios where they came up with a fun idea then ruined it with a ridiculous difficulty level.

How have people been dealing with this? The choke just feels impossible to overcome: 2 resources for set-up and if you don't clear stage 1 immediately, you're stuck at 1 resource per round, and quickly get overrun by enemies or location-locked. Even if you can get resources, you're limited to 1 card per round (resource match), so Events are basically out of the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with you. It's a cool concept, but I think there is too much choke. I played it 4 times and was completely stuck in 3 of those 4 plays. The whole you-don't-get-your-heroes mechanic makes a lot of decks pretty terrible. So, this quest is added to the list of quests that require specific deckbuilding (a.k.a., I will almost never play again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a quest where it really helps to build a deck specifically for it. I did it without too much trouble by including the Strider title and lots of power cards that were out of sphere. Definitely choose Firyal as your hero if you are going at it solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say you necessarily have to build a deck specifically for this scenario, but there are definitely some deck types that will not work well in this scenario. Combo decks that rely on hero abilities will struggle, but any deck with cheap allies should fare pretty well. You mostly just need a way to add willpower to the board quickly.

Mightyjim wrote:
Even if you can get resources, you're limited to 1 card per round (resource match), so Events are basically out of the question.

It's one per phase, not per round, so you can play an event each phase.

Donkler wrote:
Definitely choose Firyal as your hero if you are going at it solo.

I disagree. I find Kahliel's resource acceleration more important than an extra point of willpower and a small choice in which card you reveal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:

Donkler wrote:
Definitely choose Firyal as your hero if you are going at it solo.

I disagree. I find Kahliel's resource acceleration more important than an extra point of willpower and a small choice in which card you reveal.

OP was complaining about choke at 1st stage, and I think Firyal gets you to stage 2 much more reliably on round one than Kahliel. I really like her ability.

Also back to the original post, you do still get 3 resources. You add 2 as part of setup, and when resource phase happens and you get another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody H
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I personally think that this scenario is much more manageable then Escape from Dol Guldur was back in the core set days. I found that I had quite a bit of success with it. Take a look at the cards that you have available to you and include a handful of 1+2 cost allies that you would like to see in your opening hand, in order to get more allies on the table. Since the enemies kind of ramp with whatever quest stage you happen to be on, I feel like the scenario actually get a little more challenging as you play on, which is kind of cool. I would also highly consider going mono-sphere if you are having challenges with your deck, a mono leadership deck can do pretty well against this quest. I think it is highly manageable, you just need to have the right cards in your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.