Subject: Bannon and the European Union rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Bannon is an enemy of the EU. An article about that, whether the US will try to destabilize the EU, etc.

My two cents. Bannon thinks nationalism is good and that a bunch of nationalistic countries in Europe is a good thing.

For somebody who allegedly reads widely and claims to be a student of history, that is a fucking stupid if not actually evil assertion. But he sees this through his white supremacist sunglasses where somehow the EU is evil and bringing down the white race or something.

Trying to sabotage the EU would be really stupid for American national interests.

But Russia, well Russia would like it just fine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Trying to sabotage the EU would be really stupid for American national interests.

Apparently the candidate to French presidential election who says that the EU was made for the USA is considered as a conspirationist ...

But it made sense that the EU presence helped the US to limit the influence of the USSR in Europe so if you think that we are in a "second cold war", it makes sense for the USA to wish for a strong EU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Apparently the candidate to French presidential election who says that the EU was made for the USA is considered as a conspirationist ...

But it made sense that the EU presence helped the US to limit the influence of the USSR in Europe so if you think that we are in a "second cold war", it makes sense for the USA to wish for a strong EU.

Doesn't make sense if you are pushing white nationalism though. Easier to discriminate against folks of a different color if one has smaller nationstates rather than an entire EU. Makes it simpler to spread the requisite fear and hate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Even if NOT in a second cold war, I think a strong EU is in US interests. EU is a net contributor to stability. Stability promotes the continued existence of the current international regime, in which the US is (to be blunt) the top dog.

That's an utterly cynical, pro-US reason to support the EU. But of course there are lots of other less cynical reasons, too. None of which is to say the EU is perfect (I'll let you know when I find a political/economic arrangement that is, don't hold your breath).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it looks like Bannon is doing something to make war more likely, I honestly think the most rational assumption is that he wants to make war more likely.

If it feels like the reason he's doing that is because he's evil, I think we don't need to make any assumptions beyond recognizing that a very evil person is currently very close to the levers of power in this country and we are all obligated to oppose him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Xahendir wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Even if NOT in a second cold war, I think a strong EU is in US interests. EU is a net contributor to stability. Stability promotes the continued existence of the current international regime, in which the US is (to be blunt) the top dog.

That's an utterly cynical, pro-US reason to support the EU. But of course there are lots of other less cynical reasons, too. None of which is to say the EU is perfect (I'll let you know when I find a political/economic arrangement that is, don't hold your breath).

I think you could have stopped at

"Stability promotes the continued existence".

The next world war will be an extinction level event.

It's not just the nukes. It's the nerve agents. It's the biological weapons. It's the much more effective attacks on a much more brittle infrastructure.

If we get into "total" war, human civilization will probably be set back a hundred years and might even collapse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.