Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering what people thought was best practice for adding cheapy/knock-off versions of games to the database.

I'm not talking about illegal counterfeit games, rather the inevitable immitation games that appear after something is wildly successful.

For example, I have a copy of a game called "Splatter Face". It is a blatent rip off of Pie Face, but I don't add that to my collection as it isn't really Pie Face.

I also have an imitation version of Tumblin' Monkeys, which only has slight differences to the game it emulates.

Is there an accepted way to deal with these games on BGG?

Should I go ahead and list them as whole new games? Or would this be frowned upon as you could potentially fill the database with endless rip-off games? I don't think they can be listed as versions of the original as often they're of cheaper quality and so rating them would skew the overall rating unfairly.

Perhaps it is better to simply leave them off the database? But then I don't have all my games in my collection...

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is certainly precedent: The Unofficial Complete list of UNAUTHORIZED PRODUCTION
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Counterfeits go in Unauthorized Production. Imitations that are functionally identical to the original are often found with the original, if only because nobody can really research which editions are properly licensed. E.g. look at Jenga or Scrabble - there will be tons of local variations, on and off brand. Personally I would rather see consolidation in such cases. Editions that are known to be unlicensed sometimes have their own entries, as the admins don't want them in the original ones (Operation Olympic, Operation Olympic: The Invasion of Japan).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember getting a Geekmail when The Strategy Game got split from Blokus since I have Blokus in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.