Subject: Custom Villain: Anomaly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't normally post decks that I've only tested once or twice, but since Adelphophage asked for it, here's an "early access" look at Anomaly.

Anomaly is a deck built off the premise of using 2 Environment decks at once. To accomplish this, I've implemented an extra rules card akin to Kaagra's Bloodsworn Colosseum. I though about shuffling the 2 decks together, but that could screw up both deck's natural flow, so I went with putting them into 2 separate play areas. Keep in mind, I've only played him once and this version has some changes that have never seen play.

No one would have said Bret Morris was a genius. No one would have said Bret Morris was even a little clever. In fact, when it came to intelligence, Bret Morris was decidedly below average. But what Bret Morris did have was money. Buckets of it. So, Bret did what any young heir to a billion dollar estate would do; he invested. More specifically, he invested in science. Even more specifically, he invested in quantum physics. Bret had read in the newspapers about the fractured timelines incident and how the heroes of earth had actually met alternate versions of themselves. Bret had always enjoyed traveling to new and exotic places, but to actually travel to an alternate reality? To cross the threshold of another dimension? The very thought of it thrilled him. So, Bret poured endless amounts of cash into his new desire and hired anyone he could to work on developing a way to cross the barrier between, even those with a less than scrupulous reputation. And, in time, his efforts produced fruit. One of his employees had fashioned a device designed to allow access into another reality from this one by temporarily overlaying the two. Of course it would need further testing, but the principle was sound.

Unfortunately, no one would have ever said Bret Morris was patient either. Even more unfortunately, no one could have known that, in another lab, in another reality, another Bret Morris was activating the exact same untested device at the exact same time. This dual activation caused a singularly catastrophic result. The device did in fact open a passage to the other reality, but on a much larger scale than intended. And, with the effect happening from both sides, it wasn't just briefly overlaying the two separate realities; it was dissolving the barriers between them. And it wasn't stopping...

Print & Play Cards

Anomaly - Dual Existence
Villain HP 64 Nemesis:
Ghostwolf
Setup:
At the start of the game, put Anomaly's character cards into play Dual Existence side up.
Put the Dimensional Phenomenon card in the center of the play area.
Game Play:
Whenever an Environment card is destroyed, Anomaly deals each non-Villain target 1 Energy damage.
While 4 or more Environment cards are in play, reduce damage dealt to Anomaly by 1.
Villain targets are immune to damage dealt by Environment cards.
At the start of the Villain turn, if there are 3 or more copies of Drawn Together in play, flip Anomaly.
At the end of the Villain turn, play the top card of the Villain deck.
Advanced:
While 4 or more Environment cards are in play, increase damage dealt by Anomaly by 1.

Anomaly - Destructive Merger
Villain HP 64 Nemesis:
Ghostwolf
Game Play:
When flipped to this side, destroy all copies of Drawn Together, then shuffle the Villain trash into the Villain deck.
Increase damage dealt by Anomaly by 1 for each copy of Drawn Together in play.
Whenever an Environment card is destroyed, Anomaly deals each non-Villain target 1 irreducible Energy damage.
Villain targets are immune to damage dealt by Environment cards.
At the start of the Villain turn, destroy 1 Environment card.
Advanced:

Dimensional Phenomenon
Setup:

Take an unused Environment deck, shuffle it, and place it face down beside this card. This deck is referred to as the Phenomenon deck.
Game Play:
This card is indestructible.
All cards in the Phenomenon deck are still considered Environment cards. Cards in the Phenomenon deck that interact with or reference the Environment deck, trash, or turn in any way, do so instead with the Phenomenon deck, trash, or turn. Cards in the Environment deck that interact with or reference Environment cards in any way, only do so with cards from the Environment deck.
After the Environment turn, but before the Villain turn each turn, start a turn for the Phenomenon deck.

Targets (x6)

Drawn Together (x6)
Phenomenon, HP *

* = (H) plus 1.
When this card enters play, play the top card of the Villain deck.
Reduce damage dealt to this card by 1.
When this card is destroyed, shuffle it into the Villain deck.

One-Shots (19)

Change of Scenery (x2)
One-Shot

Play the top card of the Environment deck.
Play the top card of the Phenomenon deck.

Reality Fracture (x2)
One-Shot

Destroy all Environment cards.
Play the top card of the Environment deck.
Play the top card of the Phenomenon deck.

Unexpected Shift (x2)
One-Shot

Either destroy all cards from the Environment deck or destroy all cards from the Phenomenon deck.

Uncertain Footing (x1)
One-Shot

Destroy (H) minus 2 Equipment cards.

Unstable Event (x1)
One-Shot

Destroy (H) minus 2 Hero Ongoing cards.

Unrestrained Chaos (x1)
One-Shot

Destroy 1 Equipment card, 1 Hero Ongoing card, and 1 Environment card.
Anomaly deals 1 Hero 1 irreducible Cold damage, 1 Hero 1 irreducible Fire damage, 1 Hero 1 irreducible Lightning damage, 1 Hero 1 irreducible Toxic damage, and 1 Hero 1 irreducible Projectile damage.

Charged Atmosphere (x2)
One-Shot

Anomaly deals the Hero target with the highest HP (H) Lightning damage.

Dangerous Fumes (x2)
One-Shot

Anomaly deals the Hero target with the highest HP (H) Toxic damage.

High Velocity Winds (x2)
One-Shot

Anomaly deals the Hero target with the highest HP (H) Projectile damage.

Ruptured Earth (x2)
One-Shot

Anomaly deals the Hero target with the highest HP (H) Fire damage.

Temperature Flux (x2)
One-Shot

Anomaly deals the Hero target with the highest HP (H) Cold damage.

So, things work, but might not be finalized. I have his cards somewhat weak right now because a) he plays 2 cards a turn to give him a chance to flip, and b) the players already have a second Environment to deal with.

I'm currently trying out different ideas for his flip side mechanic. The front side is supposed to be struggling to keep him from flipping, though he more than likely will as his deck runs out. So, I'd like the flip side to kinda accelerate things to a dramatic and deadly conclusion. That's my idea any way. I realize his difficulty will be highly dependent on which 2 Environments are being used, but I'm okay with that. I just want him to be fun.

I would more than welcome any feedback on any part of his deck and, as always, thanks for looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
First glance, I like it. Very much gives the feel of fighting a chaotic environment more than a particular individual.

For the Phenomena deck, it mentions that "environment turn" becomes "phenomena turn", but no other card mentions the "phenomena turn" - they are played during the villain turn As written I suspect they'd never actually do anything as their start and end of turn effects will never have a place to go off. Is there supposed to be another turn where they do their stuff, and if so is it intended that you will play one during the villain turn and another during the Phenomena turn?

Drawn together is really clever, giving a nice timer on both sides. On the front side they cause him(them?) to eventually flip, then on the other side ramps up damage. I particularly like how as you play most card go to the trash they instead get shuffled back, increasing the odds you will eventually get some.

Bear in mind, Unrestrained Chaos can be entirely soaked by anyone with 1 DR.

Overall, as he plays a ton of environment cards, he might have the issue that they overwhelm the board? Targets aren't that bad as they can be gotten rid of, but if you're playing persistent, annoying stuff like Madame Mittermetiers etcetera etcetera, the heroes aren't going to have enough environment destruction to clear them out and the game will get overwhelming. Unexpected shift does nicely to keep it a bit under control, but maybe a few more like this?

On that note, and based of my experience with the old Miss Inf, what is Unexpected Shift destroyed everything in EITHER the normal environment OR the phenomena? Would give an interesting decision for players to make.

It seems like the difficulty would depend a great deal on what environment decks you chose, but that's no bad thing, gives the players some choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
First glance, I like it. Very much gives the feel of fighting a chaotic environment more than a particular individual.

Thanks, that is what I was aiming for. Just this giant world threatening hazard that the heroes have to deal with.

Adelphophage wrote:
For the Phenomena deck, it mentions that "environment turn" becomes "phenomena turn", but no other card mentions the "phenomena turn" - they are played during the villain turn. As written I suspect they'd never actually do anything as their start and end of turn effects will never have a place to go off. Is there supposed to be another turn where they do their stuff, and if so is it intended that you will play one during the villain turn and another during the Phenomena turn?

Oh, I forgot to put a rule in that specified that there is any "Phenomenon turn", so all the cards from the 2nd Environment that now have their text changed to say things like "At the start of the Phenomenon turn, do X" won't do anything. Arrg! Using a 2nd Environment really is confusing and text heavy. (And I just noticed that I forgot to put the "This card is indestructible." text on it. I'll have to fit that on there) So, I'll have work the text around, but the result we want is to make the turn order look something like this: Villain turn, Hero turns, Environment turn, Phenomenon turn.

Do you think changing the line "At the start of the Villain turn, play the top card of the Phenomenon deck." to "After the Environment turn, but before the Villain turn each turn, start a turn for the Phenomenon deck." would work?

Adelphophage wrote:
Drawn together is really clever, giving a nice timer on both sides. On the front side they cause him(them?) to eventually flip, then on the other side ramps up damage. I particularly like how as you play most card go to the trash they instead get shuffled back, increasing the odds you will eventually get some.

His flip mechanic is the one part of the deck that I feel is solid.

Adelphophage wrote:
Bear in mind, Unrestrained Chaos can be entirely soaked by anyone with 1 DR.

Yeah, I was trying to put too much on one card and there won't be room for irreducible in front of each of those damage types. He does already have a bunch of damaging one-shots. Any suggestions? Drop the damage and have it discard more cards or destroy more stuff?

Adelphophage wrote:
Overall, as he plays a ton of environment cards, he might have the issue that they overwhelm the board? Targets aren't that bad as they can be gotten rid of, but if you're playing persistent, annoying stuff like Madame Mittermetiers etcetera etcetera, the heroes aren't going to have enough environment destruction to clear them out and the game will get overwhelming. Unexpected shift does nicely to keep it a bit under control, but maybe a few more like this?

Yeah, the only game I played with Anomaly was a 3 player one using Insula Primalis (mid level difficulty) and the Final Wasteland (one of the easiest) and we barely won. You're probably right about needing more cards in his deck to stabilize the board state. And since he hurts Heroes when Environment cards are destroyed, it's not like they'll be wasted.

Adelphophage wrote:
On that note, and based of my experience with the old Miss Inf, what is Unexpected Shift destroyed everything in EITHER the normal environment OR the phenomena? Would give an interesting decision for players to make.

I really like this idea! I'll have to figure out how to word it so it will fit on a card. (Which I haven't done for any of his cards yet)

Adelphophage wrote:
It seems like the difficulty would depend a great deal on what environment decks you chose, but that's no bad thing, gives the players some choice.

Yes, it will be total chaos and I'm fine with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always make Unrestrained Chaos like Too Many Guns: deal a second hero target 1 damage, a third, a fourth...

I'm pleased to see this is well enough different from my idea that I can go ahead with it. And I love the possibility, on his flip side especially, of him chaining environment destruction by himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I ran a game against him today with a few card changes:

- Added a line to Anomaly's flip side:
Quote:
At the start of the Villain turn, destroy 1 Environment card.

This allows you to always be able to get rid of at least 1 troublesome card & also gives Anomaly an automatic 2 damage AOE.

- Added 2 lines to the Dimensional Phenomenon card to try and make it function right:
Quote:
This card is indestructible.
After the Environment turn, but before the Villain turn each turn, start a turn for the Phenomenon deck.

- Change of Scenery was reduced to 3 copies.

- Unexpected Shift was increased to 2 copies and was changed to:
Quote:
Unexpected Shift (x2)
One-Shot

Either destroy all cards from the Environment deck or destroy all cards from the Phenomenon deck.

- Unrestrained Chaos was slightly changed & now fits on the card (barely):
Quote:
Unrestrained Chaos (x1)
One-Shot

Destroy 1 Equipment card, 1 Hero Ongoing card, and 1 Environment card.
Anomaly deals 1 Hero 1 irreducible Cold damage, 1 Hero 1 irreducible Fire damage, 1 Hero 1 irreducible Lightning damage, 1 Hero 1 irreducible Toxic damage, and 1 Hero 1 irreducible Projectile damage.

So the Environment was Cyberspere and the Phenomenon deck was The Block. The Heroes I used were Cricket, Requital Captain Cosmic, and Ra. Turns out, that those 3 heroes are a really good team for this kind of fight.
Cricket can become immune to Environment damage, Captain Cosmic can become immune to Energy damage (Anomaly's base damage), and Ra can burn everything with Scorched Earth.

Cricket started with her Silent Stalker and Telescoping Staff combo in her hand, but the real power card of the game was Acoustic Distortion. Man, was that card priceless in this game. Imagine Captain Cosmic with Unflagging Animation, Dynamic Siphon, and Vitality Conduit out. Now add Cricket's Acoustic Distortion allowing you to redirect damage between Hero cards. It was awesome. I won with everyone about half health which doesn't seem that bad, but I did heal and prevent a significant amount of damage throughout the game.

It's hard to get a great fix on balance because it depends so heavily on what Environment decks he's playing with, but I think a lot of his cards feel fine. There is one main exception. Right now, I kind of feel like Unfamiliar Surroundings shouldn't be there. It's an Ongoing card which means it adds another persistent effect you have to remember to trigger. Given how you already have to juggle 2 Environments, the less you have to keep track of the better I'm thinking. Thing is, if I cut it, I'm not sure to do with the extra card slot. Boost 1 of the other card's count? Which one? Make a new one-shot? If so, what? Ideas welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
It seems like you'd get into issues with the board being flooded with lots of little annoying environment cards, so might be nice to clear them out from time to time. So maybe something like...

Reality Fracture (one-shot)
Destroy all environment cards.
Then play the top card of the environment deck and the phenomenon deck.

Sort of "resets" the field, if there were a lot of cards out you will take a big hit, but that still be okay if you're getting rid of a lot of stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
It seems like you'd get into issues with the board being flooded with lots of little annoying environment cards, so might be nice to clear them out from time to time. So maybe something like...

Reality Fracture (one-shot)
Destroy all environment cards.
Then play the top card of the environment deck and the phenomenon deck.

Sort of "resets" the field, if there were a lot of cards out you will take a big hit, but that still be okay if you're getting rid of a lot of stuff?

Theoretically that would work and I like the name. With the above changes, he'd have 1 card that destroys 1 card from either deck, 2 card that destroy all cards from either deck, and now 1 card that destroys all cards from both decks. That would put him up to 4 cards that destroy Environment cards, plus the auto destroy on his flip side.

Now I wonder if maybe I should reduce the number of Change of Scenery cards from 3 to 2. That way he wouldn't be helping flood the table with Environment cards as often. Of course, if I did drop it, I'd need to add another card... Need to test more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knocked Change of Scenery down to 2 copies and gave Reality Fracture an extra 1. Went ahead and made some character art for it and uploaded the Print & Play cards for any that feel like messing around with it. You can get some weird games with 2 Environments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.