Agricola (Revised Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Products We Actually Want rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wells
United States
California
flag msg tools
Is it just me, or is the general reception to the WizKids expansion packs a frustrated "Why are they asking me to pay $22 for figures I don't want to get $3 of cards I need?" I cannot help suspect that this is a common, if not nearly unanimous, sentiment.

I own the revised edition, and I know Mayfair Games watches this board.
Here are some expansions I would be very interested in buying:

More Minors/Occs Cards
I realize the folks at play-Agricola.com are working on the ABCDPQRS and maybe J decks for the 2018 deluxe edition. I also realize that Mayfair games wanted to keep the cost of the base game down. But that does not change the fact that 98 cards is far from enough. My friends with the Z-Man version of the game got 300+ cards. I, on the other hand, am playing an not-yet-finished game.

It's been close to a year since release; get some more cards out. May I suggest focusing on playtesting the A&B decks for now and expediting their release for sometime in early summer. You can then spend as much time as you like working on the other decks. I would snatch up an "AB Deck" expansion the moment it's available.

More Goods Tokens
When playing 4 players, we run out of wood every, single game. You only get 30 in the box and players commonly hoard wood for large fence building actions, double room builds, etc. One game, even the x5 wood token was not enough, and we had to proxy with a few pennies. We've also run out of reed, stone, and pigs on one occasion each, and have come close with the sheep.

Now, I could go onto eBay and purchase extra tokens, but I am looking at $20 + shipping for resources, another $20-ish for animals, and a third $20-ish for crops. That's more than I paid for the game, and gives me way more goods tokens than I need. I could also go to Lookout Games, but they too only sell full sets, and given the site is in German and overseas, I am a little apprehensive ordering from them.

How about a pack that expands all goods tokens by a third: 10 wood, 9 clay, 6 stone, 5 reed, 6 wheat, 5 veggies, 6 sheep, 5 pigs, and 4 cows? Maybe throw in a few 1-food markers too. I would happily pay $15 to $20 for that.

Family Edition Addon
I have cousins who are more casual gamers that love Catan and Carcassonne. They might come to love Agricola, but it's a bit more complex of a game. The family edition would be a great introduction. Now I would consider buying it, but I am on a limited budget. As such, I am reluctant to pay $45 for an entirely different version of the game that I will never pull out for my own enjoyment, but would only pull out to get new players excited about the game.

Thing is, though, I already have meeples, stables, resources, crops, and animals. It seems to me that the only things I need to run the family edition of the game would be the board and the tiles, all cardboard, all fairly cheap.

Consider offering an addon for owners of the full game. I would pay $15 for that, and I probably would be doing Mayfair Games a favor by bringing in new blood to purchase and enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could buy the family edition and combine the meeples, thus providing the family edition and giving you extra meeples for your regular set. And probably for less than buying each separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wells
United States
California
flag msg tools
FunkyBlue wrote:
Or you could buy the family edition and combine the meeples, thus providing the family edition and giving you extra meeples for your regular set. And probably for less than buying each separately.

You don't get stone or veggies with the family edition. Stone is one I have run out of before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stanley
msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't agree more. No chance am I buying a bunch of figures that honestly don't look that good IMO. But if there were a couple Revised card expansions I'd pick those up in a heartbeat. The components from the new game already look really good it just needs a little more meat for us to chew.

Also a small upgrade kit with extra resources wouldn't hurt either but would definitely be secondary to cards for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papasatyr wrote:
Is it just me, or is the general reception to the WizKids expansion packs a frustrated "Why are they asking me to pay $22 for figures I don't want to get $3 of cards I need?" I cannot help suspect that this is a common, if not nearly unanimous, sentiment.

More Minors/Occs Cards
I realize the folks at play-Agricola.com are working on the ABCDPQRS and maybe J decks for the 2018 deluxe edition. I also realize that Mayfair games wanted to keep the cost of the base game down. But that does not change the fact that 98 cards is far from enough. My friends with the Z-Man version of the game got 300+ cards. I, on the other hand, am playing an not-yet-finished game.

It's been close to a year since release; get some more cards out. May I suggest focusing on playtesting the A&B decks for now and expediting their release for sometime in early summer. You can then spend as much time as you like working on the other decks. I would snatch up an "AB Deck" expansion the moment it's available.

More Goods Tokens
When playing 4 players, we run out of wood every, single game. You only get 30 in the box and players commonly hoard wood for large fence building actions, double room builds, etc. One game, even the x5 wood token was not enough, and we had to proxy with a few pennies. We've also run out of reed, stone, and pigs on one occasion each, and have come close with the sheep.

Now, I could go onto eBay and purchase extra tokens, but I am looking at $20 + shipping for resources, another $20-ish for animals, and a third $20-ish for crops. That's more than I paid for the game, and gives me way more goods tokens than I need. I could also go to Lookout Games, but they too only sell full sets, and given the site is in German and overseas, I am a little apprehensive ordering from them.

How about a pack that expands all goods tokens by a third: 10 wood, 9 clay, 6 stone, 5 reed, 6 wheat, 5 veggies, 6 sheep, 5 pigs, and 4 cows? Maybe throw in a few 1-food markers too. I would happily pay $15 to $20 for that.

Family Edition Addon
I have cousins who are more casual gamers that love Catan and Carcassonne. They might come to love Agricola, but it's a bit more complex of a game. The family edition would be a great introduction. Now I would consider buying it, but I am on a limited budget. As such, I am reluctant to pay $45 for an entirely different version of the game that I will never pull out for my own enjoyment, but would only pull out to get new players excited about the game.

Thing is, though, I already have meeples, stables, resources, crops, and animals. It seems to me that the only things I need to run the family edition of the game would be the board and the tiles, all cardboard, all fairly cheap.

Consider offering an addon for owners of the full game. I would pay $15 for that, and I probably would be doing Mayfair Games a favor by bringing in new blood to purchase and enjoy the game.

Reading through the full list of things you'd like it seems like you'd be best off selling this botched revised version and try and get your hands on an original Z-Man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wells
United States
California
flag msg tools
I would hardly call it a botched version. I have the puzzle board which makes setup a breeze. I have farmer meeples, veggimeeples, and resource meeples instead of boring old discs. I have a version which will be supported, versus the ZMan version which is fading into obsolescence. The current version will have balanced decks and cull broken cards.

My gripe centers on the fact we still have no extra cards and the expansion we have been offered is shockingly lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
An expansion card deck is coming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
you could have just bought the original version for like 40 bucks and got everything you want . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stanley
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
An expansion card deck is coming soon.

Was this announced somewhere? I must have missed it if so. Link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stanley
msg tools
mbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
you could have just bought the original version for like 40 bucks and got everything you want . . .

But it wouldn't be as compatible with anything new they come out with. I've played a lot of game of the original edition on my phone and as much as I like the variety of cards I do think a few of them need a balance pass(I'm not saying EVERY card should be equal and to make all choices moot)

Also the components for the new version are really nice. I don't think OP is asking too much by wanting similar expansions that came along with the original game. Those were obviously popular since so many of them came out. On the other hand these sculpted minis are definitely targeting a more niche player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBloody9 wrote:
On the other hand these sculpted minis are definitely targeting a more niche player.

I think this is exactly right. It's a pre-painted pimp pack with a bonus pack of unique cards. It's not 6 mini-expansions that you have to have all of them.

Hell, when the Z-Man version came out, I made a bit of money selling sets of pawns I painted. I sold a set of 5 families for $20, and they were just painted wood. Didn't need them to play the game, but they were cooler than the discs. The WizKids sets are no different apart from the small card insert. You don't need them, but if they look cool and you want to sub in the minis, you can get a set(s) for the color(s) you play most often. The cards are gravy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papasatyr wrote:
I would hardly call it a botched version. I have the puzzle board which makes setup a breeze. I have farmer meeples, veggimeeples, and resource meeples instead of boring old discs. I have a version which will be supported, versus the ZMan version which is fading into obsolescence. The current version will have balanced decks and cull broken cards.

My gripe centers on the fact we still have no extra cards and the expansion we have been offered is shockingly lame.

The most recent versions of the original edition came with all those meeples. Sure they revamped the way the boards go together and it looks very nice but they botched the release by cutting the card count WAY down. As it is, it's not a stand-alone game unless you only play very infrequently. You NEED more cards.

With the original you bought a FULL game with loads of cards and there was never any reason to worry about whether or not it will be 'supported' because once you bought it you had it and you could play the hell out of it for the rest of your life. This new version, yes, you do need to worry about support and expansions and all that because it is incomplete.

Once the new version has the same amount of cards as the original it will be very interesting to see if this argument about 'balanced' cards evens out to mean anything. Agricola was never broken. People took out a card or two out they didn't like or didn't use but it was not a broken game; it was an extremely fine one.

If you don't agree with my perspective that's fine, no worries, go the way of the Mayfair version and I hope you manage to get your hands on some cards soon enough. But it is just a though, you could always just try and get your hands on the original version - you'll have cards a plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much have to agree with Jack; the revised edition is fine for those who only intend to play the game a handful of times per year. Beyond that, I fail to see how the jigsaw board makes set-up significantly quicker, and the shaped meeples actually make storage and board restocking more difficult (they look pretty, though). The lack of card variety is a definite weakness, and I have developed definite doubts about how "balanced" they are.

Nonetheless, the revised edition is easily retro-compatible with all the original sets and expansions, including "Farmers of the Moor." The few changes in action space terminology are easy to work out, and all the essentials of the game are identical.

Well, except for that unnecessary and illogical tie-breaker...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Svien
Japan
flag msg tools
Many at Play-Agricola were a bit shocked to see the 98 card set that was chosen as the AB deck. We were in the process of playtesting, commenting and voting on all of the proposed cards for the deluxe edition (still are actually!), when suddenly it was announced which 98 of those cards were AB, regardless of our votes or balancing concerns. While some were well liked, others were not and called out for balancing issues. Caravan, for example, is the most egregious inclusion and few or none on Play-Agricola would call it a balanced card. Therefore, while these cards may have been playtested thoroughly by Lookout and Mayfair games, Play-Agricola wasn't involved in the playtesting of these cards at the time of their choosing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Michaud
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions...
Can anyone tell me if each of the 6 mini expansions have unique cards or do they each contain the same 20 cards so that just buying one is enough? I assume the latter, but some sites make it misleading by stating "unique to this expansion". And any idea if these will show up in the deluxe 10-year anniversary edition planned soon?

I wouldn't mind buying multiple colors of these nice miniatures if they had any variety. Instead it's five highly detailed miniatures that come in 6 different colors (ie. their clothes and bases change colors, but the sculpts remain the same).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadorus wrote:
Can anyone tell me if each of the 6 mini expansions have unique cards or do they each contain the same 20 cards so that just buying one is enough? I assume the latter, but some sites make it misleading by stating "unique to this expansion". And any idea if these will show up in the deluxe 10-year anniversary edition planned soon?

I wouldn't mind buying multiple colors of these nice miniatures if they had any variety. Instead it's five highly detailed miniatures that come in 6 different colors (ie. their clothes and bases change colors, but the sculpts remain the same).

If you buy them all, you'll have 120 different cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadorus wrote:

The cards are all different.

Furthermore, these cards belong to WizKids, not Mayfair. They would, in all likelihood, not be part of any deluxe edition. source: Re: Agricola Revised Edition Cards as Stand Alone Purchase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
papasatyr wrote:

More Minors/Occs Cards

More Goods Tokens

Family Edition Addon

The 5-6 player expansion fills up the component lack pretty nicely. There's a total of 10 pieces of wood and you get additional extra resource tokens to fill up (5 in case of wood).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These comments backup what I expected from the new version.

Agricola is not a miniature game. It is about the cards, smooth mechanics and tight game play.

You do not need to amend the action spaces or cut the deck by 75%. Then to expect people to pay over £100 extra for six expansion packs to still leave you with 50% less cards. It looks as if most of this cost is for the miniatures that they probably can not sell individually. They then say that the cards are owned by Wizkids and would not form part of a later combined edition.

I live in hope that they realise their mistake and end up re-releasing the original with a few tweaks.... Uve may well end up trying to do this as he sees his masterpiece being butchered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.