tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now the whole box is painted and the two expansion figures too. Now I just need to get to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wow, those look really cool!
I'm trying to paint mine, too. But so far can't figure out how to get the blue ones to look like ice.. Do you have any tips on how to achieve the crystal / ice effect or maybe even a tutorial that you can recommend? Any help would be really great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugeonlady wrote:
Wow, those look really cool!
I'm trying to paint mine, too. But so far can't figure out how to get the blue ones to look like ice.. Do you have any tips on how to achieve the crystal / ice effect or maybe even a tutorial that you can recommend? Any help would be really great

Thanks! For painting ice like mine you need three colors: Bright mid blue (Regal Blue), light blue (ice blue) and white and a blue shade.

1. Paint the whole miniature with mid blue
2. Shade the model with blue shade/ink
3. Drybrush with mid blue
4. Drybrush with ice blue
5. Drybrush with white (only the edges)

Quick and easy.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Wittenberg
msg tools
Great work! Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, so I just got this game because someone had it and I love MOBAs, so I had to order it.

I have never painted before but I decided this game deserves it, I have a few games with miniatures but never dared considered painting them.

I did some sparse research online, and if all goes well I will post results here. If I get any replies to this I will be looking for input as I paint each hero. The minions should be easier, so I will start with them.

So far I know to clean minis first (which I just finished and they are drying) then prime, then paint. Methods I am going to try are dry brushing and using a wash. Work inside out (painting exterior layers last, like cloaks and gloves) and then coat with some sort of finish (not sure what i am going to use yet, as I saw a few ideas on how to do this).

This forum doesnt seem very active but if anyone has suggestions, especially for color mixing, which colors to use, please let me know. I am going to try to replicate as best I can what I see on the box and from other artwork (like the cards).

I am going to use Acrylic Vallejo paints, the Intro color set of 16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok so they are all black now.

Been looking at the the artwork for the heros, and there is one thing that is bothering me, the color scheme is pretty much split between the brass and blue.

For the minions I don't care but I think I am going to try and dumb it down for the heros a bit, for example, Arien is head to toe blue, Sabina is head to toe bronze. I feel like that may make the game feel a bit "confusing" if I paint these guys exactly like that but then they end up being used by a hero on the opposite team (like Arien being used by a hero on the bronze side). I know there are the little circles to put on the bases but I still don't know how I feel about making Arien all blue. Will I ruin the game if I go with like a purple? something sorta blue but not blue? I wish I had a sweet computer program that I could view what it will look like before I paint it.

Oh well...
Just waiting for the paint to arrive and then I will begin (when I am done working).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
TDevils6 wrote:
Will I ruin the game if I go with like a purple? something sorta blue but not blue?

I`m pretty sure you won't ruin the game by not following the color scheme from the images.
It's completely up to you how to paint the minis. Personally, I still use the colored circles on the painted minis to distinguish between teams in my own copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finally got everything set up, had the day off work, and spend all day doing this one. Still learning a lot about the process. I think my OCD kicked in hard at the end because I kept re-mixing paint to fix any mistakes I saw. All I have left to do is spray a finish on it.
Sorry about the glare.

On a side note, despite all my preparations, I still managed to make a huge mistake. Grabbed a can of paint + primer that was in the house to use on all the minis as a primer. Then I looked up what that meant, that means its not primer its just a thicker paint....

So now I have a few of the smaller heros sitting in some simple green. This guy I painted as is with the black paint. Not sure which one I am going to do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok so I finished the 4 small minions for the Atlantis side, two photos with Monkey Man.
I am definitely making this harder on myself by trying to pick out details and use like 8 different colors, but, screw it, I am enjoying how it looks.
I am definitely learning a lot about the process though, and I (hope I) should be getting quicker at this. 4 at once with multiple colors seemed to take forever.
Wanted to paint the ice minions first but I didn't really have a light blue so I ordered Electric Blue to use, but didn't wait so I painted these guys.
Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're doing great! Have fun with it and don't worry too much about the outcome. You'll get better with practice, just like with anything. Watch some Games Workshop tutorials on youtube, they helped me a lot; just don't get hung up on trying to make things look like they do... they are on some non-human level of skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tigerclaw!

Didn't know what color to make his weapons so I decided to try out the electric blue that I bought for the blue minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDevils6 wrote:
Tigerclaw!

Great job. The miniatures look good as they are but if you wish to take your painting one step further you could try using Citadel Washes (the brown one called Agrax Earthshade). The technique is super easy and it would add to the shadows and create a more three dimensional feel. Just google up "using citadel washes" or similar and you're good to go.

If Army Painter is easier for you to get that works too. The Army Painter quickshades create this varnish type of layer that is very durable. The downside is that it leaves the model very shiny so at least I then always add a layer of spray matt varnish on the model to finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Ukko! I have been contemplating the washes and I watched a lot about applying them, I am honestly just nervous about how it will look afterwards, I love how everything looks when I finish painting them that I am worried I will do something stupid and mess it up. I wish I had bought some cheap-o minis to practice on first, instead I went right in to it with this game. I haven't applied a wash to any yet so now I'm also worried if I do it to one it will look different from all the rest.

Just finished the big Atlantis Minions
Threw in the little guy for size comparison, in case anyone forgot. These guys ate a lot of paint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Before I did Tigerclaw I painted the ranged Atlantis Minions, but forgot to post a picture. Probably because I messed up. I was warned about too much Matte finish, and this is why......

whoops.....
oh well this is how one learns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDevils6 wrote:
Thanks Ukko! I have been contemplating the washes and I watched a lot about applying them, I am honestly just nervous about how it will look afterwards, I love how everything looks when I finish painting them that I am worried I will do something stupid and mess it up.

If you like how the miniatures look without the wash then by all means go for that look. I will just say that applying washes is very, very easy and I have never washed a miniature and said afterwards that it looks worse. It adds a ton of visual goodness.

Maybe take one miniature which is easy to paint from the start and try. If you like it you win, if you don't just basecoat and paint it again with a knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yea Ukko I definitely want to try it out though. I have other games that I will try it on. I have Gloomhaven and that has far less minis, well at least when you begin.

Right now I'm working on Miss Swift, the warm weather has definitely slowed down my painting project....

which sucks because I really want to play this game lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok finally finished another one.

I am in the process of moving right now so I need to get everything set up at the new place before I can do another, but I haven't decided who to do either.

Its either another hero or I start going through all the titan minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Peate
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Seeing these motivated me to paint mine after owning the game for a while. They look so much better painted and it really didn't take too long (My girlfriend did do Dodger as she is her favorite). I have to get my hands on the expansion pack now. This has been a favorite of my group of friends being a team game and supporting a lot of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice job Shane, I'm jealous of your finished set
I hope you don't mind if I copy a bit of your color style, I like what you did with Hanu (or Wuk, I forget which is the skinny one).

Also, I never thought about doing grass at their feet. How did you do it? Would it be good or bad to go back after I've already sprayed a finish on them to do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Peate
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Go for it! Honestly, I just tried to match the colors on the cards the best that I could. If you want to know any specific paint name or color, let me know. Plus I also used the OP's idea for doing the minions a little easier by not using too many colors.

For basing, I usually do it after I'm done with the models painting anyways (though I know some people say to do it first). You can definitely still do it. Just a little watered down PVA glue and whatever grass flock you can find. I have an Army Painter basing kit that comes with grass, snow, sand (small rocks really), and larger rocks (cork). Comes with the glue too so it's a nice investment if you plan on doing more minis at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok so finally got back into painting after moving.
Finished Ignatia, just need to apply a finish still, waiting for better weather since I spray it on outside.

I really like how the cape and hair turned out. Next I'll be doing the ranged titan minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finished some titan minons, next I'm working on Sabina!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brachmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sabina done.

Too cold here to spray on finish though. Next I will paint Wuk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dionisis Stefanitsis
msg tools
Hello,

I also painted my miniatures inspired by yours. Here is a picture:

Can you share some details regarding the painting of atlantis minions? I am planning to use waplock bronze for basecoat and ryza rust for drybrushing. Would that be good?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.