Łukasz Sowała
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi!

I recently bought LE: Alien core set and I really enjoy playing it. I play only in solo mode. After several games I started thinking about getting an expansion. Obvious one is LE: Alien Expansion but I'm also considering LE: Predator for variety reasons and mixing option (AvP). On the other hand I went through some posts here and there that this mix is not doing well (with naming rules as the biggest con?).

So my question is what should I get? Keep it more consistent with more Aliens within the same universe or get Predators for some hunting (+1 for variety) and so-so mix with Alien core set?

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Predator is 2 films twice. First you do them co-op against the hunters just like the LE Alien, the you go pvp hunting humans and each other when you play predators.

It mixes quite nicely with LE Aliens, even have specific rules for a predator hunting trip in the aliens movies.

But if you are really in it for the co-op experience, then go with the Aliens expansion, 2 more films, 10 more avatars, 2 more characters to put in the barracks per film (not the new ones though). Great expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play only solo, Alien Expansion for sure. Half of Predator game is unplayable solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Predator really wasn't very good, in my opinion, for a couple of reasons.

1 - It split the game into 2 different variations, which means you only use half of the cards for each version of the game. This means each version has a LOT less variety.

2 - Since the predator scenarios are city and jungle, it's hard to mix things around to get more variety within it.

3 - The PVP version of Predator really doesn't flow well (at least for the people I've played it with). Every time we've tried it the game has ended before we get to the end of the enemy deck, because it's so brutal that someone dies fairly early. I know this is part of the game, but it really robbed some enjoyment from it.

4 - You cannot play as a predator unless you do the PVP version, and since a lot of the abilities on the PVP cards don't work co-op, you can't just decide to be Predators and hunt the Aliens, it doesn't work well.

If you absolutely love the Predator franchise than you may enjoy it, but in my mind there is no contest between the two. The Aliens expansion has a ton of great content, and would definitely be a better option if you already own the base set and want more.

The Firefly version of Legendary is fun and interesting, but doesn't blend well with the rest at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Sowała
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the replies. I think I will stay with Alien Expansion because as you mentioned, there is less replayability for 2 game modes in Predator and I'm mostly hyped only for the second part (playing as Predator).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Mann
South Korea
Seoul
Seoul Teukbyeol-si
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Predator is good for some variety, but due to the nature of the Hunted (cooperative) Avatars which need coordinated cards to function (unless you play multi-handed solo) and the design of the Hunter (competitive) scenarios, it really needs to be played with a group to get the full effect of it.

I highly recommend the Alien expansion for variety and challenge, and get Predator only if your really want some new characters and scenarios and aren't too concerned about more than half of the game not really working with solo play. I personally like the Predator set, but I have a regular group I play this with for both the cooperative and competitive modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Firefly? Is it better or worse than Alien?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
What about Firefly? Is it better or worse than Alien?

I haven't played firefly, but consistently Reviews by critics and majority of BGG user comments say LE:Alien is the better game.

But opinion is subjective; if you're a huge fan of both series, buy Alien first then Firefly. Check the video reviews of both. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.