Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Has the time for BGG to return results from searching for Direct Match trades been shortened? I'm getting 504s when I try now.

Edit: Of course, after posting this, it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I get those *all the dang time*, especially trying to do custom searches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting them too. I can't seem to do a custom search for direct trade matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I think I figured it out.

If you have a game that AlexSR wants and you use custom search to include all games in your collection, it blows up because AlexSR wants so many games that it times out.

Try a direct search to see what he wants from you. Temporarily remove that item, then try custom again and see if it works.

I am not sure if blocking AlexSR will also solve this problem, then you can unblock him after running the search
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
I am not sure if blocking AlexSR will also solve this problem, then you can unblock him after running the search

Wait, you know how to block someone in the Trade Manager??

You may have uncovered one possible cause of the time out delays, but there've been a couple of discussions (that I'm aware of) about fine tuning trade searches, and supposedly it's not possible to block someone.... unless it's a new development or unless you've discovered some nifty trick to do it. As I've observed here before, I'd love to be able to block some trade matches, and there's nothing personal or mean about it at all -- it could be as simple as someone only doing local trades and not being in my state.

But back to the 504 errors -- I've seen plenty of times that I was searching only one state, checking to see what matches I had with one member in that state, and still timed out, so I think we are yet seeking the primary source of all the time outs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I've never played with that functionality, so I have no idea.

You have pretty convincing evidence that what I found was a side issue or luck, unless you live in North Carolina. Oh ho! You do live in NC. Try a search on all states other than NC and see if that works.

He has almost 10,000 items on his want in trade list, so when I wanted a game he had, it showed me the 500 games I own that he wants in trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Try a search on all states other than NC and see if that works.

That's what I was meaning -- I've closed a search down to only one state on numerous occasions and still ran into time outs.

I was sure hoping you knew how to filter members out of searches though -- dang!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Gotcha. I assumed that when you filtered down to one state, the state was always NC, so you could make postage-free trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Gotcha. I assumed that when you filtered down to one state, the state was always NC, so you could make postage-free trades.

No, that's why I said about narrowing down to find matches with one member in particular. If all I know is that someone wants to trade for Widget Quest and I have it, I'll do a search filtered to their state and the game to see if we have any matches.

Btw, that's how I discovered the little problem that crops up when folks enter their state abbreviation in their profile instead of using the menu drop-down to pick it -- doing that keeps that member from showing up when a search is filtered on their state. So for example if I were to enter "NC" in the state field, and you did a search filtering on North Carolina, I would not show up in the results no matter how many matches we might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same issue with both the direct matches and custom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Could you guys run a test?

1. Go to this link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/findmywants?sort=title

2. Note the games being sold by AlexSR (he tends to list all games for sale as also for trade)

3. Remove all AlexSR games from your trade list that are being sold by AlexSR.

4. Try running the custom or direct search again.

5. Do you still get a 504?

I just tried this and every time I had a game on my "want in trade" list that AlexSR was trading, I got a 504.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Could you guys run a test?

Sorry, not me, there's no way I can help with that right now, as I have something like 60 games in my inbound trade list that he is selling.

But I don't think he is the key to the problem -- I'm seeking even more games that are being offered by the seller down in Atlanta ('rsolow'), close to 100 I think, and just got a quick result when I filtered a custom search down to the state of Georgia.

However, I do have to say that trade searches aren't doing badly at all for me right now, I'm getting results without too awful a delay on just about any that I try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Interesting - well, I don't have any other good ideas other than running trade searches on Friday afternoons after the East Coast is off work.

I thought that rsolow might be different because he is not seeking 9000 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Interesting - well, I don't have any other good ideas other than running trade searches on Friday afternoons after the East Coast is off work.

I've never noticed any link between trade search delays and time of day, and I do a LOT of searches. That's still semi-anecdotal, though.

Quote:

I admit, I've never really paid attention to how many games in total anyone is offering or seeking, only those that show up in my results.

Interestingly, I just did a search that had no restrictions on games in either direction, but filtered down to NC and GA to net *both* of those fellows, and got a result after something like 20-30 seconds. But as I say, any searches that I'm running today seem to be processing in reasonable times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:

A followup observation on this part.... search matches between me and Alex total about 60 in either direction, while matches between me and rsolow show closer to 100 from him and only around 10 from me.

I have NO idea if that has any significance at all. But surely if any one member's holdings could slow down the searches, the combined weight of all members would bring the entire process to a near halt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does look like alexSR is the problem. If I exclude NC, then I can do a custom search.

Are the mods aware of this? Perhaps they could put a button in to allow one to exclude specific users (and recommend putting alexSR into that list).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.