Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Saturday my wife and I will be teaching about eight 8-year-old boys (and one 6-year-old?) how to play X-Wing for our friend's son's birthday party. I think it's going to be a BLAST.

I think that my wife and I will do a pretty good job teaching it, since I'm pretty good at explaining things to beginners, and she's a teacher. However, I still wanted to seek out advice from anyone that's taught X-Wing to kids of this age before.

Did you alter rules at all? I'm thinking of mainly just leaving upgrade cards out, which simplifies it enough, I think.

We were thinking 2 tables of 2 vs. 2. This means that my wife and I can each be stationed at a table.

As for builds, we were thinking that one team we'd have each kid flying one Rebel ship, and on the other team, each kid flying two tie fighters. Not sure about pilots yet.

What we have available to us:

3 T-70 X-Wing
1 T-65 X-Wing
1 A-Wing
1 B-Wing
2 Sabine's Tie
1 Falcon

4 Tie Fighter
6 Tie F/O
2 Interceptors

I was thinking maybe...

2 T-70's vs. 4 Tie F/O
1 T-70 & 1 A-Wing vs. 2 Tie F/O and 2 Interceptors

+ the younger 6-year-old brother with another ship in there somewhere.

Alternate:
2 Sabine & 1 Falcon vs. 4 Tie Fighter

What do you think? And, what pilots would be good for young beginners? Should I academy everyone?

As far as breakage goes, I think our friend would replace anything that broke... though I'm a bit more attached to the T-70 with Poe's paint job (Heroes of the Resistance), since you have to buy it with the Falcon to get it (right?). I could pick up one more T-70 so that I don't have to bring it.

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Flint
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd keep it simple. 1 ship per player, no upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keoki Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've demoed X-Wing to players of all ages. I find it best to use materials from a core set (original or TFA), since they need no reference cards. Start with neither upgrade cards nor actions. All stress does, then, is prevent red maneuvers. Just the basics - plan, move, shoot. For the beginning, don't bother flipping over damage cards. Later, the additional complexity of the game can be layered in - actions, crits, and finally upgrade cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
What these guys said. When I taught my kids to play X-Wing (mostly at age 5-6), we started with no upgrades, basic box only, and no actions. We did use stress.

That's pretty simple, and we only needed to do one game of it to learn to play. Then we added in actions, then upgrades, and then list-building.f

Start simple, keep it simple. But you know your son and your son's friends, so play to the crowd. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crian
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've taught a bunch of 12 year olds to play.
My experience is that one ship per player is fine, all vs all is easier for them than teams, actions are ok, but upgrade cards and ship text get forgotten almost every time. More than one ship per player gets fairly confusing for them.
For actions they generally go focus every time, with a very rare barrel roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.