Subject: Reassurance For Those Who Do Not Want to Sleeve Their Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
If only there were microbadges about not sleeving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sleeves are "card condoms"....I don't like them either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Come on, anonymous internet person. Topic doesn't interest you, move along.

a) I'm not anonymous! I have a first and last name, out there for you to see. (Unlike you, I must point out.)

b) Of course the topic interests me! Look at my microbadges! I agree with your points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree with you for the most part, but would like to point out a few more exceptions.

I don't sleeve most of my games, but I do sleeve some. Namely, I sleeve games which need sleeves and games which I lend out.

Like you, I sleeve games which only have a few cards, but I also sleeve games which get shuffled a lot. I don't sleeve all my deckbuilders but I sleeved Friday because I'm constantly shuffling it.

I also sleeve games which I like but feel cheap, especially print and play games and old games which, frankly, were printed cheaply. Sleeving a thin card goes a long way to making it feel good.

Finally I sleeve games which I lend out. I have XCOM: The Board Game and London Dread sleeved because I let people borrow them. I have no problem "protecting" my games when I'm there, but I think of it as a courtesy to my buddies to lend them a sleeved game. They worry less and I worry less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I have never had the compulsion, or even a slight interest in sleeving cards. Now my indifference has been justified. Though I will never remove my beer from the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
skutsch wrote:

mb

Trust me, I know. I have a teenager. Oy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Dawson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Totally agree with this - The reason I have moved over from playing video games to Board games over the last year or so is that they are tactile. There is pleasure in handling the parts. Moving them, exchanging them - if there is a delux set of them for sale them I am queing up to buy it. Sleeving seems so......well like buying a new sofa and keeping the plastic on so that it keeps nice

H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Trinket
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points, great topic. All valid points, and worthy of discussion.

I used to sleeve all the cards from my games but recently stopped doing this as a religious act that accompanied the purchase of a new game. Honestly though, I truly love the look of some of my older cards that belonged to my parents, with their fuzzy edges and crackled printing, coffee stains and roughed up edges. The aura that drips from these cards is beautiful. The artist in me, adores used things, and I totally dig, reading the stories that so obviously spring from the tears and stains that they wear. I look at an old monopoly box with it's taped up corner and I'm immediately transported to younger years, to our caravan by the beach, on a night where an electrical storm shorted the power and we sat around playing by candle light.

I used to freak out about loaning my games to people, but now I think it's great that they are getting used. I've had wine, beer and coffee spilled on games, a board broken, miniatures busted and cards chewed on and these days I don't mind so much. On the other hand, I have had to sleeve Love letter, when it became quite obvious which card was the Princess.

On the other hand, recently at my work, I removed all the cards from dirty, sticky and crushed sleeves for our old Sitting Ducks game and the cards looked brand new. The box had been destroyed and all the target tokens were missing but we had the board and new cards and this breathed new life into the game, the kids came in droves to play it.

I guess some things are right either way, huh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Dorito
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
badge
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
mbmbmbmbmb
good for you but my fellow gamers and non gamers are messy and un predictable.

Sleeves for life! modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:
Let me explain what this thread is and what it isn't. This is for those who do not want to sleeve their games, but feel a compulsion to do so. This is not meant to attempt to convince those who want to sleeve their games, not to do so, and so it is not a thread to debate the pros and cons of sleeving.

I do not engage in the practice, and I have no misgivings about it. So I am somewhat discomforted about your title implying I might require reassurance. Perhaps a more suitable title would be something more like

Reassurance For Those Who Agonize About Not Wanting to Sleeve Their Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have been a prime target for your reassurances, but having played a deck construction 2 player game and seeing my Mage knight cards wear out, I now sleeve everything that gets shuffled during setup or gameplay more times than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:

I apologize, but if you re-read your comment, and combine that with internet culture, my conclusion wasn't totally off base.

The anonymous part was certainly totally off base. Further, if you're going to immediately assume the worst about someone participating in our discussions on such little evidence, maybe you shouldn't be starting them in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I put a card up my sleeve I get accused of cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:

Sleeves are "card condoms"....I don't like them either.

All my games go raw dog too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sleeved the cards in two games. I sleeved Hands in the Sea because the temporary replacement cards were a slightly different size. I've sleeved my Star Wars: Destiny cards because of their cost and rarity despite it being a new game which is probably the surest sign that I should just get out of that game despite enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather keep sleeving the cards I care about, but good points.

If the part where you say we could "buy that game again" was true, maybe you could have a valid point. But we all know there are certain games/expansions that are not easy to re-buy, as they become OOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:
TVis wrote:
newtsmelt wrote:
Let me explain what this thread is and what it isn't. This is for those who do not want to sleeve their games, but feel a compulsion to do so. This is not meant to attempt to convince those who want to sleeve their games, not to do so, and so it is not a thread to debate the pros and cons of sleeving.

I do not engage in the practice, and I have no misgivings about it. So I am somewhat discomforted about your title implying I might require reassurance. Perhaps a more suitable title would be something more like

Please accept our apologies for any discomfort we may have caused. Our goal is to provide outstanding...

That's a pretty good title suggestion, btw.

All it takes to change it is to Edit your opening post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually just like the feel of card sleeves. Probably from all those years of playing CCGs. However, I also find that in games where you at some point or another have small decks of cards, sleeves are helpful in shuffling.

Not all of us like them for their protective qualities, they are also more enjoyable in a tactile manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:
TVis wrote:
newtsmelt wrote:
TVis wrote:
newtsmelt wrote:

Please accept our apologies for any discomfort we may have caused. Our goal is to provide outstanding...

That's a pretty good title suggestion, btw.

All it takes to change it is to Edit your opening post.

I mean, sure, if you're into that sort of thing.

Umm... Clearly I am. why else would I have bothered to post ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anybody needs public reassurance that it's OK to not buy sleeves, they have fundamental problems. The fact people start threads like this one so frequently these days makes me worry about where online culture is headed. Social media is rotting your brains, people. Wake up and smell the coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:
Sphere wrote:
If anybody needs public reassurance that it's OK to not buy sleeves, they have fundamental problems. The fact people start threads like this one so frequently these days makes me worry about where online culture is headed. Social media is rotting your brains, people. Wake up and smell the coffee.

And I'm trying to help people with those problems!

In any case, based on your feelings on this thread, what is worse?: Me posting it or you commenting on it? Come on man! If you're not interested in the thread move on. BGG itself is a niche site and this is a niche problem. Don't hate, et al.

You starting the thread is worse, far worse, and it's not even close. This is a board game forum, not the Dr. Phil show. People see more and more of that crap, and monkey see - monkey do; the weak minded begin to think it's normal. I'm providing a wake-up call because to me, it appears to be badly needed.

No hate here; it's not worthy of that. Mostly disbelief, maybe a touch of scorn and loathing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huff
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the game. If cards get shuffled a lot (deck building) or if a card getting marked will affect gameplay (hidden identity cards) then I sleeve. Additionally, if the cards are of poor quality, I will sleeve to ensure they last longer.

Other than that, I guess if I started to see substantial wear on the cards I would sleeve them, but at the end of the day, I like my cards unsleeved and prefer to keep them that way if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:
'People see more and more of that crap, and monkey see - monkey do; the weak minded begin to this it's normal'

- What the hell are you talking about? You're 'providing a wake-up call' to people on a board game forum regarding discussing trivialities?

Typo: meant to say they begin to think it's normal. (Looking at the time stamps, it appears I had corrected it 15 minutes before your 'quote' and half an hour before your edit.)

If rehashing arguments against sleeving that have been stated a thousand times before makes you feel like you're providing a useful service, I'll disagree. If you think people need "reassurance" before not paying for extra add-on crap after buying their games, I'll disagree. And last but not least, I'm sick and tired of seeing social media triviality threads all over the BGG front page. It's a games forum - let's talk about games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the General Gaming forum. It's about things connected to gaming in a reasonably broad sense. I think sleeving cards in games and how you feel about the same easily qualifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.