Popular Tags: [View All]
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I had a few questions come up while reading the rules...

1. Reinforcements for Cadre units. The placement rules (6.2.2) imply that you have some flexibility with where you place reinforcements. This makes sense for units in the dead pile, but when restoring a Cadre unit, wouldn't the reduced step unit be placed exactly where you remove the Cadre unit from?

2. I assume Canadian and British troops can attack together? Since they are both from the 2nd Army.

2.1. The only case I see where CW and US troops "mix" in combat, is with respect to the air support units. For Naval and ground forces, no multi-national attacks are allowed (except for the Canadians & Brits). Is this correct?

3. In the retreat example Y on page 15, just so I understand, the German unit could still retreat to hex E even if there was not an IP. That is, assuming the friendly unit in hex E was not disrupted itself.

4. On Desperation Defense, paragraph 1 of 12.5 states "Both steps used for the Desperation Defense must come from units qualified to be the Lead Unit in the initial Determined Defense." But in paragraph 2, it says "ANY unit in the defender's hex is eligible to receive the step loss, including Strongpoints, HQs, Werfer Brigades and Disrupted units." [all caps emphasis mine]. Are these two statements not at odds with each other? Considering that HQs, Werfer Brigades, etc., are not allowed to be designated as the Lead Unit (12.4.1).

5. More of a strategy question, but I don't understand the designer note for 16.2. When would the Germans want to purposefully destroy a SP? If the allies want to launch a giant attack against an SP, how does this hurt the Germans more than removing it themselves?

6. This one could be very simple to answer, but in rule 13.2.2, I see that mechanized units are eliminated for crossing a Major River hexside. Is it possible that this was meant to say 'eliminated for crossing a Major River hexside unless "they began their movement next to the river hexside and their first move is to cross that river hexside." ' I see this exception regarding Major River hexsides quoted often, in 9.4, 14.4.4. That is, usually the restriction only applies if the hexside is NOT the first hexside crossed. Is this an oversight, or is the restriction for crossing Major River hexsides exact ONLY in this case where a mechanized unit must retreat and potentially face elimination?

Thank you very much in advance for your help! I am enjoying this beautiful game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris2476 wrote:
Hello! I had a few questions come up while reading the rules...

1. Reinforcements for Cadre units. The placement rules (6.2.2) imply that you have some flexibility with where you place reinforcements. This makes sense for units in the dead pile, but when restoring a Cadre unit, wouldn't the reduced step unit be placed exactly where you remove the Cadre unit from?

Yes, though 6.2 is unclear on that given the language in 6.2.2. You are basically adding a step to the Cadre, so the unit needs to go into the same hex as the Cadre.

Quote:
2. I assume Canadian and British troops can attack together? Since they are both from the 2nd Army.

Yep...they can attack together.

Quote:
2.1. The only case I see where CW and US troops "mix" in combat, is with respect to the air support units. For Naval and ground forces, no multi-national attacks are allowed (except for the Canadians & Brits). Is this correct?

Correct.

Quote:
3. In the retreat example Y on page 15, just so I understand, the German unit could still retreat to hex E even if there was not an IP. That is, assuming the friendly unit in hex E was not disrupted itself.

Yes...the example probably should have used a 3 or 4 strength unit as the unit in hex Y to be consistent with the text.

Quote:
4. On Desperation Defense, paragraph 1 of 12.5 states "Both steps used for the Desperation Defense must come from units qualified to be the Lead Unit in the initial Determined Defense." But in paragraph 2, it says "ANY unit in the defender's hex is eligible to receive the step loss, including Strongpoints, HQs, Werfer Brigades and Disrupted units." [all caps emphasis mine]. Are these two statements not at odds with each other? Considering that HQs, Werfer Brigades, etc., are not allowed to be designated as the Lead Unit (12.4.1).

I'll have to ask Mark, as I think the text in the first paragraph was added in 2nd Edition and contradicts the text in the second paragraph. I would play it as the second paragraph, but that the defender must pick a unit that would qualify as a lead unit. The attacker could pick any unit.

Quote:
5. More of a strategy question, but I don't understand the designer note for 16.2. When would the Germans want to purposefully destroy a SP? If the allies want to launch a giant attack against an SP, how does this hurt the Germans more than removing it themselves?

See some of the other entries here on BGG and over at CSW. The main reason is that a high odds attack gives the Allied player a good chance of being able to put the attacking units into Reserve. Reserve movement and combat are key in this game...underestimate them at your peril .

Quote:
6. This one could be very simple to answer, but in rule 13.2.2, I see that mechanized units are eliminated for crossing a Major River hexside. Is it possible that this was meant to say 'eliminated for crossing a Major River hexside unless "they began their movement next to the river hexside and their first move is to cross that river hexside." ' I see this exception regarding Major River hexsides quoted often, in 9.4, 14.4.4. That is, usually the restriction only applies if the hexside is NOT the first hexside crossed. Is this an oversight, or is the restriction for crossing Major River hexsides exact ONLY in this case where a mechanized unit must retreat and potentially face elimination?

I believe this was addressed in the errata/faq, Yes... see
13.2.2 Elimination in Retreat: Mechanized units are not eliminated
if they retreat across an unbridged Major River if they start
adjacent to the river hexside. This returns the rule to the 1st Edition
version.

-K
co-developer N'44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much Kevin! This was immensely helpful. One followup question...

kbernatz wrote:

See some of the other entries here on BGG and over at CSW. The main reason is that a high odds attack gives the Allied player a good chance of being able to put the attacking units into Reserve. Reserve movement and combat are key in this game...underestimate them at your peril .

Is there some reason why these units could not be put into reserve immediately in the Movement Phase? As I understand it, the benefit to attacking a SP would be in being able to move the attacking units more than 1 MP, attack the SP, and then still being able to be placed in reserve [Assuming a DH or D2/A1 result]. The cost would be potentially failing the attack and suffering a step loss, or at least not being able to move any farther. Do I have this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. It is not always easy for the Allies to be able to get Reserve stacks in the front lines.

Also, nore that Advance can be in any direction, and sometimes multiple hexes ... so giving a free attack may lead to further penetration of the German lines than if they removed the SP.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.