15 Posts

Sword of Rome» Forums » General

Subject: A few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flavius Sabbatius
msg tools
I have a few questions after my first play-through:
(1) Does the Greek player remove 2-loyalty for Dionysus at the beginning of Turn 1?
(2) Is the Carthaginian hand limit 7? For example in Turn 1, Carthaginians draw 6 cards. If they keep 1 card at the end of Turn 1 and don't gain/lose any cities in Sicily do they draw another 6 cards to form a 7-card hand?
(3) For a campaign card, must the active player declare all moving armies before moving the first army? Additionally, is it necessary to declare if the second army will perform a coordinated attack before the first army moves?
(4) Is there a limit to how many cards may be played during one battle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) no, at the end of the turn, just as the sequence of play indicates

2) the card limit is the hand size, not how many you draw. For every card you keep, that's one less you draw.

3) finish the first armies activation, then do the other. You don't have to pre indicate; for instance the first army might get intercepted thus making the flank attack not possible.

4) no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No. Strictly follow the Sequence of Play (Section 5). Loyalty for retained leaders occurs during Leader Reinforcement (5.10.2).

2) Not in your example. The Carthaginian hand size is determined per 6.2.2, and depends on Sicilian ports and unrest. Whatever cards are retained from the last turn count against that calculated limit. So, in the case cited, assuming no unrest, their limit remains 5 + 1 (Lilybaeum) = 6. If the retain 1 card, then they draw 6 - 1 = 5 new cards.

3) Per 9.5.1, if you're NOT carrying out a coordinated attack, the first activation is completes all movement and fighting BEFORE the second activation takes place; thus, the second need not be aanounced ahead of time. This is overridden by 9.5.6 if you ARE carrying out a coordinated attack; in that case, the second activation (the flanking force) occurs after the main force has moved to the battle space, but before that battle is resolved.

4) No. See 7.1.1, first bullet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavius Sabbatius
msg tools
(5) Is there a penalty for entering battle via naval movement? There is one for straits but I see nothing for amphibious attacks.
(6) The naval combat example in the rulebook shows a -2 modifier for sailing to a friendly port. I cannot find the rule this corresponds to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
5) No. This is NOT an amphibious assault.
6) Note under Naval Combat Table on map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavius Sabbatius
msg tools
For (5), I guess my question is: it seems there is no such thing as an amphibious assault (i.e., attacking an army in a port space after performing a naval movement to enter that port space). Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If you move into a space with enemy CUs, there will be a battle. When I said there was no amphibious assault, I meant that the battle that occurs is of the ordinary variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe its for attacking across the Sicily/Italy straights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavius Sabbatius
msg tools
(7) The example in the Combat section (12.2) shows the Roman player having to remove 5 CUs including 1 CU for rolling a 1 on die rolls. I don't see this in the Combat Losses Table.
(8) When can Minor Leaders be added to lead an army. If a stack with only CUs (and no leader) is attacked does a Minor Leader lead that army by default?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7) Removing CUs on rolls of 1 were a feature of the original CRT, but was subsequently changed.
8) See 8.3 -- when you're the active player or during Reinforcement. If a stack without a leader is attacked, it does not get a minor leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavius Sabbatius
msg tools
Thank you Dave for all the help!

For (7), just to be clear -- the fact that removing CUs on rolls of 1 was removed from that CRT means that no longer happens? The example is out-of-date and the Roman player should only lose 4 CUs.

(9) If the Greek player has played the event "Heights of Epipolae" and Syracuse is taken over by someone else, does the new owner keep the -2 DRM siege modifier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I think the example was updated in the latest version of the living rules, so I can't discuss the result you're seeing with certainty. All I can do is report that the loser used to remove one of their own CUs when they rolled a '1', and that that is no longer the case.

9) Yes. Once placed, there's no mechanism to remove the marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moral of the story - ALWAYS use your Minor Leaders. Get in the habit of making sure they are deployed every turn. Use them to back up key leaders in case the main one gets displace via Event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavius Sabbatius
msg tools
(10) At the beginning of turn 1, what is the Carthaginian hand-limit? I count 7 = 5 + 1 (for Lylibaeum) + 1 (for Panormus).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds right, so long as Carthaginian Unrest is below 2. (I don't remember all the particulars of the Set Up.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.