Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! So, I'm about to do the final quest in the base game and have it all set up. I have a few questions though:
1.The encounters attached to the objective cards count towards the threat total, correct?
2.If an encounter on an objective is defeated, do you HAVE to take the objective? What do you need them for?
3.The Nazgul says after a successful shadow effect, defending player discards a character, so I assume that means heroes as well which in turn would put you on a clock for defeating him. Am I getting this right?
4.I already did it randomly but can players "pick" a hero to be abducted? I already presume the answer is "no" but I would like some clarification.
Sorry if these are "silly" questions, I just don't remember reading any of these in the manual so if they are then boo on me.
Thanks again, gamers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
datpusheen wrote:
Hey! So, I'm about to do the final quest in the base game and have it all set up. I have a few questions though:
1.The encounters attached to the objective cards count towards the threat total, correct?
2.If an encounter on an objective is defeated, do you HAVE to take the objective? What do you need them for?
3.The Nazgul says after a successful shadow effect, defending player discards a character, so I assume that means heroes as well which in turn would put you on a clock for defeating him. Am I getting this right?
4.I already did it randomly but can players "pick" a hero to be abducted? I already presume the answer is "no" but I would like some clarification.
Sorry if these are "silly" questions, I just don't remember reading any of these in the manual so if they are then boo on me.
Thanks again, gamers!

Not silly at all!

1. Yes. That's one of many things that makes this scenario so difficult. Starting with three cards worth of threat in the staging area is a lot. However if you get lucky and any of them are treacheries they are simply immediately resolved and then discarded so sometimes it's not too bad.

2. You don't have to take it right away, but you will need them eventually. The text on the quest cards will tell you that you need at least one to advance at some point, and eventually you will need all 3. Conventional strategy for this quest is to always wait til the last moment before grabbing them.

3. Yep, character refers to allies and heroes.

4. By the rules you are supposed to do it randomly, but this quest is so hard (especially solo) that just to have a chance sometimes players will choose who to get captured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
datpusheen wrote:
if it helps, think of the objectives as attached to the encounters
Quote:
not immediately. you need to take them though (the quest explains how and why). i don't want to spoil too much of the quest/strategy though, but if you have a more specific question about this later on, i can give a more precise answer
Quote:
yes, it can force a hero discard if you have no allies
Quote:
Thanks again, gamers!
legally, no, but some people pick the hero since, by a random distribution, that hero would have been picked eventually anyway

it's your game though. for the first times trying to beat it, go ahead and try to give yourself your best chances to win. once you've beaten it (maybe after a few times of having done so), try to make a deck that can beat it regardless of which hero gets captured

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the quest by the assumptions I made while being as fair to the game as possible. I think the big reason I won is that I had been holding onto the hands/resources/attachments/allies of each hero between quests of the core set, so I wasn't starting off with nothing, though idk how much of a campaign play game this is supposed to be.
Ya'll reinforced my assumptions and I thank you for the help. Time to get some expansions, or at least make more decks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say you were holding on to the "hands/resources/attachments/allies" of each hero... are you playing with each hero getting a separate hand of cards? If so, that's a misunderstanding of the rules. Each player gets a hand of cards (six cards to start with, plus one more card at the start of each turn, so you start turn 1 with seven cards), and each player can have up to three heroes in play. (And should have three heroes, not less, if you just have the core set. Later expansions make a two-hero deck viable, but it's not viable with the core set). I don't know for certain that you're making that mistake, but I figured I should mention it in case you are, just to clear things up.

Also, by the normal rules, you're not supposed to be able to carry over any resources, attachments, or allies from one scenario to the next, nor any cards in your hand. You start each scenario with a clean slate: your three heroes, the six cards you drew during setup, and that's it. (Then you draw one more card, and get one resource per hero, at the start of turn 1, so you "really" start with seven cards and three resources). No other allies, attachments, or resources besides those. It's perfectly fine to give yourself bonuses when you want to make it easier, but it means you just won the game giving yourself a handicap advantage -- so now you still have a challenge in front of you: to win it "straight", without giving yourself an advantage at the start.

And BTW, as I said before, don't expect to win Dol Guldur when you play it "straight" without a handicap: the cards in the Core Set just aren't enough to overcome the bad starting position that quest puts you in. Not without a LOT of luck, at least. But I really enjoy the challenge of going back to Journey Along the Anduin and facing down that troll with just my heroes, plus whatever allies I can summon up QUICKLY. (Or I give myself a few turns to prepare by picking heroes whose total is below 30 threat, so I have a few turns before the troll comes to engage me).

There is ONE exception to the "You can't take anything with you to the next quest" rule, and that's the Saga Expansions that follow the canonical plotline of the novels. There are two Hobbit expansions, and six expansions that follow the three main Lord of the Rings novels. (Five of those six have been released, and we're all impatiently waiting for the sixth one so we can finally finish our campaign plays). In those, certain kinds of attachments are considered "permanent" and stay with a character from scenario to scenario. (Not all of them are good, either.) There are other campaign rules, too, which I won't get into now -- but those campaign rules only apply when you're playing the scenarios from those Saga expansions. When you're playing any of the scenarios from the core set or the "normal" expansions, the rule is to start each scenario "fresh".

Glad you're enjoying the game so far! You have LOTS of enjoyment still ahead of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Owen
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rmunn wrote:
There is ONE exception to the "You can't take anything with you to the next quest" rule, and that's the Saga Expansions ...

I interpret the Core Rules "Expert Game" Nightmare Challenge to be another exception to that rule:

Quote:
For an expert level challenge, players can attempt to defeat all 3 scenarios using the same combination of players, decks, and heroes....For a “nightmare” level challenge, do not reset threat, hit points, or player decks at the beginning of each scenario.

"Do not reset ... player decks" suggests to me that you start each scenario with the cards in hand, in play, and in discard as they were at the end of the previous scenario. Not that I've ever tried it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.