Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started following F1 in the late 90's, the period covered by this game. One thing that confused the hell out me of was the implementation of the F1 safety car.

In most (if not all) American race series the safety or pace car picks up the leader and field is sorted out behind it. In the 90s and early 2000s the F1 Safety car would exit the pit and collect the cars behind it from the first car back. Later (I think in 2012) this was changed to allow back markers to drive around the safety car till the leader caught up.

The old rule would lead to backmarkers stacked up in front of the leader, with the pursing cars usually collected behind the leader. Setting up attacking possibilities and not allowing the leader to control the release off the Safety Car, allowing a quick escape, as they do today.

My 90's simulation would have the Safety Car placed on the board in the sector of the Pit Exit. Then the field moved forward to the Saftey Car per the normal rules with no reordering. Any cars in the Pit Exit sector are assumed to be in front of it and move to the end of the line.

All other Safety Car rules are in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Welch
United Kingdom
Swansea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the game is 1990 and my cars are painted up to 1990 I will use this ruling if and when we have a safety car. We have only just started playing with flags and so far have had no crashed cars, sounds like we are playing too conservatively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Welch
United Kingdom
Swansea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so if the safety car comes out behind the leader, the leader moves up to the back gaining quite a pot of track for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sarracenia wrote:
Ok so if the safety car comes out behind the leader, the leader moves up to the back gaining quite a pot of track for free.

The Safety car is always placed in front of the Leader. A crash can occur behind the Leader, but don't place the safety car were the crash happend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Droopy McFunbags
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How / when do I get rid of the safety car? I've checked the rules but can't see anything that explains how it's done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You remove the safety, when you move the Turn marker to the next line (black turn).
So if you have the Turn marker on a grey turn, the safety car stays on the circuit until you move the Turn marker to the next line and hit a black turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on page 19 of the published rules ("Restart"), but it's one of the rules missing from the 3.0L rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sarracenia wrote:
As the game is 1990 and my cars are painted up to 1990 I will use this ruling if and when we have a safety car. We have only just started playing with flags and so far have had no crashed cars, sounds like we are playing too conservatively.

Crashing Robots is a favorite tactic of a friend of mine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.