Subject: stalemate situation at the end of the game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph K
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I really enjoyed my first plays of the game, but the last time we ended up in an unfortunate situation: In a 3 player game everyone had served 4 recipes and 1 to 3 prepared and waiting to be served. The 'serve' action was already blocked by donuts, so there was no sensible thing to do: everyone ended up stalling by learning/preparing new recipes and taking donuts back from other actions. In a situation like this there is no incentive to ever take donuts from the 'serve' action, since the next player would just spend 2 donuts to probably end the game (with 4 readied recognition cards). Even if they rolled a 1 the action space would be blocked again the next turn.

This means eventually one player has to cave in and probably give someone else a very high chance to win (since by then everyone has had time enough to prepare at least one $4/$5 recipe). Even for a light filler this is a rather unsatisfying way to end a game.

If the players advance at a similar speed situations like these could be a common occurrence and I don't think the rules offer any way to get around this. I still think I'll give the game another chance with the following house rule:

'Instead of placing or taking donuts you can choose one of your prepared recipes and return it to the discard pile to copy the action of an occupied kitchen card.'

Hopefully this should create a way out of frustrating end game situations without messing with the mechanics of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grail Games
Australia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! Never ever seen such a stalemate occur. Usually a player will bring the game end closer (such as, in your instance, by taking donuts off the Serve action), assuming they will win - it's most tips that wins, not served cards.
But I can see this may happen.
Thanks for playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can you share more on this? does the designer's answer address this sufficiently? i am thinking of picking this up but cautious if theres a weird end game (wife dislikes those)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have played a few times now and didn't end up here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.