Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I opened my copy, I was really surprises to see that it was very empty. I was also very surprised with the amount of damage tokens for a game where apparently all units heal after the end of the battle. Here is the original box and content.

I tried for fun to fit the game into another FFG smaller box which is half the original box and it still fit.

Sure assembling can take more space, so I assembled, sleeved and plastified the game. Used storage box, and it gave me those results.

While the small box, it fits very tight.

But if I did not use storage box, it would have probably fit pretty well.

So as some of you might say, this only mean 1 thing: expansions are on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
this only mean 1 thing: expansions are on the way.

"Search your feelings, you know it to be true"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Every time I pull this game out, I really do think to myself that this box is way over-sized for what is actually in it. This is probably my favorite game, but the box makes no sense. Space is a premium on my game shelf and this takes up too much of it.

Now, an expansion would make all my grips on this topic go away! Corey, let's do this. FFG needs to move on this sooner than later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jar Jar coming your way! They're going to fill that box with poodoo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, love the big box. I can fit all my stuff in it easy and neatly. A lot of my games have to have some components stored separately because the box is too small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've liked the big box as well. I've put all the miniatures and leaders into a couple Plano boxes, and having the big box means that I can still fit them in there without too much problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually we're complaining that there isn't enough space so on the rare occasion where there's too much space, I'll take it. And agree: FFG probably has an expansion or two in mind for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i feel, the only reason they used a big box is to justify the price.
ie giving the people a real feeling of buying a big game worth its price tag

it would be difficult to justify the price for the size of the Fod box.

at this point, i doubt they will make any expansions for it anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
How on earth they could expand this game? Adding what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:

Exactly. Everything of episode 4 to 6 is in the game. For episodes 1 to 3 you would completely different components. Maybe you could reuse the board. But this would almost cost as much as a new game.

Maybe some scenarios could be added. Maybe something about what happened after episode 6. In the end, I do not really have a plan how to expand this game.

I would have preferred to have a smaller box. But I understand that many customers see box size and price they would pay related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:

Rogue One.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
rattkin wrote:

Rogue One.

Rogue One is one of the objective card draw already
(And you can sort of argue that some of the mission and activation before that contribute to that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damage markers are good for marking off regions during the build and deploy phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Usually we're complaining that there isn't enough space so on the rare occasion where there's too much space, I'll take it.

The only game I have that does not have enough space is "Hero Scape", besides that I rarely saw a game with that issue unless they are expandable, but most of the time, those expansions comes into additional boxes.

As for expansion ideas:

- More mission cards to add theme and variety (it does not have to follow the movies, but it can be in the same era)
- Scenarios with specific objectives and setup
- New ships and units: I was surprised that simple tie bombers were missing.
- New leaders: Not sure as they are all very similar, but new mission or ability cards could be made for them.
- New mechanisms: Not sure exactly what, comparable to the "Focus token" in Eldritch Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Turner
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This has become my new pet peeve. I have only a limited amount of space for games so when something new comes in something old goes out. In the case of SW:R, 3 old games had to go!

Same problem with ST: Ascendancy. But at least they do promise some expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well the only dimension they could have changed is the height - which could have 1-2 inches shaved off.

Ultimately it's about buying advertising space in games stores and justifying the price tag by it being massive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a number of plastic sorting boxes and as a result, I'm glad to have the fatty box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:

more missions, more leaders. More action cards. More projects.

There's a lot of room for expansion in that department. A lot of players have said they've felt that more missions are needed for more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
rattkin wrote:

There's a lot of room for expansion in that department. A lot of players have said they've felt that more missions are needed for more variety.

That surprises me - typically only about half the mission cards come up in a given game, and it's long enough that you aren't going to get in a lot of plays in a short period of time. But then I come from the GMT CDG games where you always have the same cards come up in every game, and we don't consider it a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
rattkin wrote:

Room for expansion doesn't mean there should be.

The game is so card driven, and depends on both sides having knowledge of a tight card pool and thinking about what they may or may not be trying to do with missions and objectives.

More cards dilutes that are wrecks that part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I rather prefer not knowing what my opponent can possibly do like if it was my first game. So variety is welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
rattkin wrote:

Room for expansion doesn't mean there should be.

The game is so card driven, and depends on both sides having knowledge of a tight card pool and thinking about what they may or may not be trying to do with missions and objectives.

More cards dilutes that are wrecks that part of the game.

If they made an expansion that just had you sticking all the new cards in the decks then perhaps yes, dilution could make for a problem. But they could rather make modifications to the decks both tailored and tested for balance, perhaps offering short scenarios, a more battle-game, etc.

In other words, seems like there is plenty of room to maneuver between "Don't do an expansion E-vah!" and "Let's just throw a bunch of new cards and units toegether and call it an expansion."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Everyone's assuming adding more missions would break balance. Personally I think you could add mission that help with the balance (which is already good) as I think Hidden Fleet is a little to much of a garunteed draw, adding more missions would fix that while simultaneously making "Star the Evacuation" a more powerful card given that HF would be rarer.

I think the fact the empire often plans around knowing they are sure to draw Planetary Conquest at some point before the end of the game is not good. It should be a card that you might draw, but the fact that it's usually used on the last turn to try to win I don't like how often it gets drawn in games. Yeah it's not guaranteed but I think it's so common that people plan their strategy often around having it and thus throw a fit when they don't get it. Maybe add five or so more missions and make that card draw less likely forcing empire players to not use it as a security blanket so much and use alternate strategies.

More action cards and leaders would be great because it would make One In A Million less likely to be drawn which would be great because a lot of people have (rightfully to some extent) complained that the DS is too easy to blow up. Again, not a guarantee, but it's common enough that people plan around drawing that card. Which I don't like. Make it a bit less likely. Make it more of a game where you plan based on what you draw and have to constantly be changing your approach. Maybe only add two leaders (3 action cards) but still that could add a lot of variety.

The game already is this way in many ways but I think it can be better in a few areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was so big to fit the storage trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw, *Usually* boxes are chosen for price, rather than fitting. That is, a bigger box may be a standard size that's cheaper than a smaller custom box. However, with FoD, the components fit, so, uh, there goes that theory. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.