Subject: The Monstore in Montclair, CA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Cheng
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anybody know what's going on with the Monstore in Montclair, CA? We stopped by today and the store was closed with only a sign saying "Closed for Inventory." When we checked Google, it said that the store was permanently closed. Does anybody know if they are indeed gone for good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At Strategicon, I heard that the store closed permanently due to funding. Sounds like it had been struggling for a while, perhaps due to factors not related to their business model itself, and inventory had been dropping for a while without restocking. I heard reports that earlier this year/late last there were times when leadership hinted that there was trouble.

In the end, I heard secondhand that the store was closed by the banks involved and locked up by them, to the surprise of some employees.

The Monstore was a great shop and their "buy two, get one free" special at the Strategicon Dealer Room was a highlight. They will be missed if there isn't a way to revive it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cheng
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's harsh. Thanks for the info! It was a shocker to pull up and see the store shuttered like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love, love, love the Monstore.
Their board game days will be missed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monstore was awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's missed for sure. It's a little bit of a trek but I highly recommend Dicehouse Games in Fullerton. It's right off the 57 freeway at Nutwood/Chapman.

The selection is amazing, everything is 10% off retail pricing (and new items are 20% off). They have gaming space and they're really nice people.

http://www.dicehousegames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cheng
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tuan, who runs Dice House, is very cool. It's not nearly as big as the Monstore in terms of gaming space, but Tuan is very accommodating and will try and fit you in.

Good selection of games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bummer to hear this. Monstore was a little out of the way for me, but it was a nice store and enjoyed my visits. At the time, it was well stocked. Plus, it was right across the street from Pegasus Hobbies (which probably didn't really help them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.