6 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Mansions of Madness Play by Post rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Britton
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With all the talk about custom scenarios, has anyone considered trying to run a play by post game with a scenario they've designed?

It could be something like this, but ideally using scanned copies of the boards:

Ashcan Pete, Wendy Adams, and Joe Diamond awake to find themselves in a small dark room. A pile of what appears to be discarded machinery lies to one side of the room. The only door is old and weathered, and most likely locked.

EDIT: ASCII art seems to collapse extra spaces. Using a picture instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joelbritton wrote:
EDIT: ASCII art seems to collapse extra spaces. Using a picture instead.

But note if you use (c)(/c) (but with square brackets) to insert it as a code block...

|
\___/

Yeah okay - I'm no ASCII artist...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joelbritton wrote:
With all the talk about custom scenarios, has anyone considered trying to run a play by post game with a scenario they've designed?

Wouldn't that be more like running a 1st edition Mansions of Madness PBM/PBF? You'd need the MoM 1e resources for things like fights (or another system).

I wasn't involved, but it appears that there was some minor PBF action on MoM 1e: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/83330/mansions-madness/f...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Britton
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Oh cool, that does work better.

And if I had the time to run something like this, I'd use the app for combat options and such. Fighting a cultist? Load up Cycle of Eternity and pass a couple times till the cultist shows up, then make repeated attacks without recording damage to get what you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joelbritton wrote:
And if I had the time to run something like this, I'd use the app for combat options and such. Fighting a cultist? Load up Cycle of Eternity and pass a couple times till the cultist shows up, then make repeated attacks without recording damage to get what you need.

Which is brilliant if you're fighting monsters that come up regularly - but how long would it take to get the right monsters to fight in a user created scenario that uses Dark Spawn, nightgaunts, 2 zombies and a mi-go?

And how easy will it be switching between the monsters? i.e. a fight with any one monster may take place over several rounds - you'd have to either find all the required monsters in the app at one go, or maybe need to keep re-finding the next monster for battle.

A few rounds of that could cause more SAN-loss than afternoon tea with Azathoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Britton
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
joelbritton wrote:

Which is brilliant if you're fighting monsters that come up regularly - but how long would it take to get the right monsters to fight in a user created scenario that uses Dark Spawn, nightgaunts, 2 zombies and a mi-go?

And how easy will it be switching between the monsters? i.e. a fight with any one monster may take place over several rounds - you'd have to either find all the required monsters in the app at one go, or maybe need to keep re-finding the next monster for battle.

A few rounds of that could cause more SAN-loss than afternoon tea with Azathoth.

I'm not positive, but so far it seems that the monsters are divided into the categories of humanoids, creatures, and ghosts. That cuts down on the types of opponents you need to find. Slight spoilers, but
Spoiler (click to reveal)
a humanoid will always spawn within the first couple rounds of Cycle of Eternity, a creature will always spawn within the first couple rounds of Shattered Bonds, and there is always a ghost in Shattered Bonds.
It take a decent amount of clicking around, but would be doable if you're just doing it twice/day or so to update the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.