Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The last sentence on the card says "shuffle her into an other open location deck". If the other locations are closed, what happens?

I assume she would get shuffled back into her current location deck, since there is no "other" location to pick. But I wish the card said that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If all the other locations are closed, you ignore the directive to shuffle Meret-Hetef into another open location deck. Since this directive was a consequence of the before-you-act summoned encounter(s) with the Graven Guardian, once those are over -- regardless of the outcome, in this situation -- the character who encountered Meret-Hetef continues the encounter with her.

This is spelled out in the Golden Rule:

MM rulebook p.2 wrote:
If a card instructs you to do something impossible, like draw a card from an empty deck, ignore that instruction.

(But also note that it continues:
Golden rule wrote:
Regardless of the above, if you need to do anything with any number of cards from the blessings deck (other than shuffling it) and you don’t have enough, you lose the scenario; if that happens with your character deck, your character dies.
)

Also note: the other locations must be permanently closed, not just temporarily closed. This is because:

MM rulebook p.17 wrote:
Temporarily closing a location only prevents the villain from escaping there during this encounter; it does not trigger any of the other effects of closing a location, and the location opens again immediately after the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
If all the other locations are closed, you ignore the directive to shuffle Meret-Hetef into another open location deck. Since this directive was a consequence of the before-you-act summoned encounter(s) with the Graven Guardian, once those are over -- regardless of the outcome, in this situation -- the character who encountered Meret-Hetef continues the encounter with her.

This is spelled out in the Golden Rule:

MM rulebook p.2 wrote:
If a card instructs you to do something impossible, like draw a card from an empty deck, ignore that instruction.

The golden rule is not nearly as useful as some people think.

But you're right that in this case the fallback would be to continue the encounter. I was thinking it would end up in a weird limbo where she had nowhere to go.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm familiar with this situation from Organized Play. This "what do you do when there are no other open locations" question has come up more than once, and this is the official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
Maybe I'm familiar with this situation from Organized Play. This "what do you do when there are no other open locations" question has come up more than once, and this is the official answer.

So are you saying that if something specifies "other open location", and there are none, that the official ruling is to use the thing's current open location instead? That's what I would guess as a last resort, but it would be good to know if that's official.

EDIT: And again, that doesn't apply to this card in this situation. I'm asking about some future hypothetical case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
So are you saying that if something specifies "other open location", and there are none, that the official ruling is to use the thing's current open location instead?

Um... no. No, not at all.

I'm saying exactly like the main topic of this thread, if you are told to move something to "another open location", and there are no other open locations, you ignore the instruction to move that thing, and proceed as if the instruction wasn't there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, Ok. It sounded like you were describing the other case as common. Sorry I misunderstood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
np. I was trying to say, the question you originally asked has come up several times in Organized Play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.