DZ Woloshyn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
This design issue started HERE. You don't have to read it, but I like to reference older contributing threads.

THE PROBLEM: Any sort of game in which you must keep track of the positions and general well-being of dozens of racers is going to drag (and I don't mean "to go really fast in a straightforward manner for a short time").

But what if it could be streamlined?

THE GENERAL IDEA: Imagine tokens on a race track that represent, rather than individual racers, GROUPS of racers. Therefore, individual racers (which are possibly cards or miniatures linked to a group, and also possibly in racing order within the group or perhaps in a mad scramble) could be traded between groups (say, when one group passes another) and can also crash and be removed. As a player of this racing game, one's interests might lie in having certain racers end up in the group that crosses the finish line first.

Sticking with the number 42, a race could start with 6 groups of 7 racers each, assigned randomly. Through clever play, one might maneuver groups past each other in the hopes of trading racers between them.

THE QUESTIONS: Has this concept been tried before? Would you like to offer suggestions to streamline the idea further? How might one handle the idea of having 2 - 6 players but always 6 groups of 7 racers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thunder alley has i believe up to 7 players controlling 3 cars. Everyone is on a team and you can move any of your cars. Your cars move on the moves others make so the game moves along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to play this all the time with 4-5 players when I was in my 20's

USAC Auto Racing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not with 42 cars.

For most racing games, not more than 10 or so is a maximum before the game tends to drag to a crawl.

Thunder Alley each player races a team of 3-6 cars for 12-18 cars in the field. Each car is actively moved once per turn (though adjacent cars in a line either before or back draft off of the active car--that means a lot of movement occurs in a single round.) This works to model NASCAR racing, but less effective for Formula 1 racing in Grand Prix, its companion game.

Wolkster wrote:
Used to play this all the time with 4-5 players when I was in my 20's

USAC Auto Racing

This game is the epitome of fiddliness--roll dice, look at chart for driver to how many spaces to move, move car counting every space so you don't go over for up to 33 cars. Avoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DZ Woloshyn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
rri1 wrote:
Not with 42 cars.

For most racing games, not more than 10 or so is a maximum before the game tends to drag to a crawl.

Ah, but could a race with 42 cars be streamlined so that the things racing around the track are 6 tokens, representing 7 cars each? That's more the point of the thread.

Thank you for the tip about USAC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Parmenter
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, races in real life often have cars forming 'the pack' with one or two out in front, and drivers jostling to get to the head of the pack so they can try to overtake someone...

Okay, on the track you have seven tokens (Say, different-colored cars, or at least numbered -- Position 1 through Position 7).

Off the track, you have seven 'Position' cards. You start your 42 cars split as evenly as possible between Positions 3 through 7.

Each turn, whoever has the most cars in a pack gets to control it on the racetrack, doing... whatever. (Special rule: If Position 1 and/or Position 2 are empty, Position 2 is always one space ahead of Position 3; Position 2 is always one step ahead of Position 1.)

After moving, one car from each pack (Random? Skill of the driver? Majority picks?) has a chance to move on to the next pack, provided the two packs are adjacent on the racetrack. If they do, then a random car from that pack gets bounced back a pack.

Special cases: There can never be more than one car in Position 1. There can never be more than two cars in Position 2.

This sort of thing scales easily to the number of players; if it's a two-player game, then whoever is in first place has less cars to try and move forward in the pack, but can still get his car's 'teammate' to try and get into second place to protect him. Or, if you have (3, 6, 7 players all divide in evenly) players, then you have everyone playing the 'can I get out of this pack' game even if only the pack leaders can control how things go on the track. Nobody has to get left out, you just may not be in a position to decide the outcome every single turn of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Ness
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
If you have tokens representing groups of cars, how is that fundamentally different from having just six cars? If you had some piece that could fit seven car tokens on it and then just moved that piece with all the tokens, it might work, but honestly, I think 42 is just a bit too many. I think players would forget about the cars in the rear and perhaps even be annoyed that they had to keep moving them rather than focusing on which of the cars in the lead pack would win. I would try to keep it at a max of 20. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DZ Woloshyn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Ideablurt:

You, as the player, do not represent a team. You are ONE of the 42 racers, and you want the group that has YOU in it to cross the finish line first. You might not have control of that group at the end.

Each of the racers has two attributes. Each attribute corresponds to a track section that may come up in the race, and each track section has its own minigame.

This minigame would have rules regarding the positions of the racers within a group, trading racers between adjacent groups, crashing, attributes, and possibly trading group control markers between players and the dummy hands (if any).

I am working on this concept... now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.