Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These two variants are meant to improve the way the game models economics, while being generally minor tweaks that don't drastically affect gameplay. They are, of course, entirely untested - happy to hear any thoughts.

a) Buy and Sell markers can cross tracks, however, the Buy marker must always be on a higher value than the Sell marker. (And since the markers are identical, that's how you will tell them apart once they are allowed to cross tracks - the higher one is the Buy price, the lower one is the Sell price.) Moving a marker from one track to the other is done as in Maximum Rise/Fall. You pay 3 CHF (Sanagal with Tax Rebate pay 1 CHF) and may move the Buy marker from the lowest price on the Buy side to the highest price on the Sell side OR move the Sell marker from the highest price on the Sell side to the lowest price on the Buy side - then lock that marker. Exception: when moving the marker to a different track on the Gold resource track, it costs 6 CHF (4 CHF for Sanagal with Tax Rebate). As usual, you cannot move a locked marker, and the new rule that the Buy marker is always on a higher value than the Sell marker applies in all cases. Thus, if the Buy price is already at its lowest and the Sell price is already at its highest, then you cannot take this action.

Additionally, if both markers are on the same track, you can't move one so that it would coincide with or overtake the other marker. If Buy and Sell are next to each other on the same track, you MAY take the Variation On One Resource action to move both markers in the same direction, provided that this does not require one of the markers to change tracks (which can only be done with the Maximum Rise/Fall action).

The Gineva power Influence and the Tessina power Pre-Speculation may not be used to move a marker across tracks.

This rule is meant to allow the Sell and Buy markers to exert some pressure on each other. Now, a player who wants to Sell High has some incentive to move the Buy marker up in order to give more room for the Sell marker to rise. Previously, with the prices entirely independent, raising Buy prices was only useful to mess with another player - only occasionally useful in a game with other players involved who would be unaffected by your move but happy to see you waste your money speculating. In addition, there is some possibility for raw speculation in commodities - buying a good, waiting for the Sell price to go higher than what you paid for it, then selling for a profit. Still pretty unlikely and probably not worth the effort, but theoretically possible.

b) Limited Supply (not actually limited, but using up the supply causes a price increase) - At the beginning of the game, start with some resources in an available supply and some in their trays, out of play. Let N = number of players. Start with 2N wood, 2N Stone, N Iron, N Coal, 2 Copper, 2 Silver, 1 Gold. Whenever a player sells a good, it goes into the available supply. Whenever a player buys a good, it comes from the available supply. If a player uses goods to build or buy a warehouse or miner, those goods are removed from play to the appropriate tray. When a mine (or building) produces, it gains goods from the out of play pile. Grisa's "Surprise!" coal cube comes from the out of play pile.

If the available supply runs out of any resource, then refill it with N cubes, and place a cube on the Shopping Cart icon on that resource track. During the "Free Trade" portion of the Administration Phase, each good that was replenished at least once (indicated by the cube on the Shopping Cart icon) has its Buy price increased by 1 for each time it was replenished this round. If it cannot (Buy price is at the top of either side of the track), then it has its Sell price increased instead, if possible. Note that this price increase cannot move a marker from one track to the other. Also note, because the actual price increase from resupply doesn't happen until the Administration Phase, turn order usually doesn't matter. The main case that might matter is if one player wants to Sell to the bank and another one wants to Buy the same resource, and the two players cannot agree which order the exchanges should happen (i.e. one player wants the price to go up and the other does not), then resolve actions in player order as per section "4. Management" in the manual.

Optional - If, during the Free Trade portion of the Administration Phase, the available supply of any good is greater than the number of players (N), remove N goods of that type and the Sell price goes down by 1. If it cannot go down, the Buy price goes down by 1, if possible. Do not resolve this action on the first turn of the game.

This rule is intended to cause prices to react somewhat to the amount of goods players are producing. In the rules as written, it seems like a production glut will tend to send prices higher, as a player pays to speculate and increase the Sell Price by 1 or 2 per turn, and then the price only goes down by 1 when the good is sold (not necessarily every turn). Meanwhile a lack of production will cause the Buy Price to generally go DOWN instead of UP, as players reduce the price of what they have to buy. The second half of the rule is optional because I'm not sure it's worth the added complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, this seems to be a first - a Variant post on BGG without people posting "it's fine the way it is." I get that that probably just means very few people are subscribed to this game's forums, but I'm going to choose to believe that it means that nobody hates these variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Kornegay
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I think it means there are not many playing it. My wife bought it because she liked the box and the sound of game play, as well as the deal of a price. We opened the box and punched everything. Then we laid it out and perused the instructions.

Needless to say, we never played. I so want to try it and like it, but it has gotten a lot of negative press.

Do you like it? I cannot comment on the variants because I have never played the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smkornegay wrote:
I think it means there are not many playing it.

Yes, of course.

Quote:
Needless to say, we never played. I so want to try it and like it, but it has gotten a lot of negative press.

I haven't seen that much negative about it other than "meh," and the board is too dark. They certainly made some infuriating design decisions, but I plan to use poker chips instead of the tiny currency and maybe reprint the ability cards with text on them.

Quote:
Do you like it? I cannot comment on the variants because I have never played the base game.

I haven't played it (that's mostly what I meant by "of course, entirely untested" above), but I like a lot of things about it. I've played enough games to have at least some idea of gameplay without having gotten it to the table (other than a 2-handed solo play to get a feel for it). The reason I'm thinking about including these variants is to add some dynamism to the markets. A game that goes over really badly on the first play is a game that doesn't get a second play, so... considering the game doesn't exactly have a wild following, I don't feel bad about trying a variant on the first play. Assuming I get it to the table eventually. But so little time and so many games to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.