Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While sitting around waiting for my copy of Championship Formula racing to finally arrive, I got to thinking about other racing games and how they might be updated/re-implemented. DMS obviously came to mind.

Now I generally like the game the way it is, but obviously there are a lot of little rules ambiguities and oversites that could be cleaned up a bit. Heck, just look at the forums here and you see that everybody seems to play the game differently. Since it seems unlikely that a new edition would ever be released it seems like a community effort might be necessary to get things more consistent.

For purposes of the discussion, I'd like to set a couple parameters ,

1. The changes should make no changes to the construction of the track. I wouldn't want to have to re-create the maps to play the game.

2. The basic movement system should remain basically intact. I feel a key component to the game is the way you can program the car on the fly rather than having to log/pre-plot speeds like other similar racing games.

3. Keep the timer.

So, if YOU could re-work the game, what changes would you make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would change the rules for time penalties, and the rules for accumulation damage:

We do play with these rules at the yearly Viking-Con tournament, at Rubicon, and everywhere else I play the game.

Time Penalties:

The problem with the Time Penalties in the Rules, is that it allows you to take a time penalty instead of a driving error.

What do you do then? Either you have a major (or minor) driving error or you simply pretend that you can’t work it out, and suddenly the time is up, and all you receive is a time penalty, which won’t bother you unless you accumulate three of these.

To avoid this situation we play with the following rule:

When the time is up, you still have to finish your move, and you can use all the time you need but you loose your next move. So you end up using two moves to complete one move, and you still receive unavoidable driving penalties. When using this rule you only use the white flags to indicate that the player should not move in the following round, white flags never accumulate.

Accumulating Damage:
To make everything a bit more streamlined, we simply use the following:

Two yellow flags are replaced with a red flag.
Two red flags are replaced with a black flag.
Two black flags are a total crash, and you are out of the game.

I think we play everything else by the rules, but as you say the rules seems to be interpreted differently by everyone.

Our take on the time is that you have to do everything with in the time limit: Pick up your dice, rolle the dice, change the dice, place the dice, move your car while counting the dice, hit the timer before it runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More than six cars, robot cars, solo play.
No idea how to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scale the game down. I successfully copied some tracks at half scale some years ago and it worked really well. That way, you can save table space and make the game more accessible. At this scale, you can use game boards. 1/300 or 1/220 scale cars are used.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all of the suggestions above. I also read somewhere on these forums, to record your last die used (as current gear) for a tie breaker for going first the next turn. This helps with strategic overtaking and does not take much time if implemented correctly. I place a 5mm die of the player color to place next to the car with the last gear face up.

I've also printed several tracks at 35% and use Formula D / Rallyman cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWorm331 wrote:
I agree with all of the suggestions above. I also read somewhere on these forums, to record your last die used (as current gear) for a tie breaker for going first the next turn. This helps with strategic overtaking and does not take much time if implemented correctly. I place a 5mm die of the player color to place next to the car with the last gear face up.

I've also printed several tracks at 35% and use Formula D / Rallyman cars.

But the current rule for going first next round works, whoever entered the space first, goes first next round.

No need to fix what's not broken.

I like the big tracks, but would also love a version I could play at a normal table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current method for going first does indeed work.

Using the last die as a tie breaker is interesting, but I'd have to think if it adds any real strategy for the extra complexity.

We did try a variant where the Time Penalties was the tie-breaker. It seemed to work, but I don't know that it added all that much.

As far as scaling down goes, I have the game so I hadn't really considered the need for a smaller version. The game only comes out when I have a lot of people at the house, or at a convention, so I find the large size a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Coxon
msg tools
We solved the time penalty fudge. Any unused spaces are completed by the driver of the car behind you. If you elect to not even order the dice, that is done by the next driver too.

And you still get a time penalty.

Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyArea66 wrote:
We solved the time penalty fudge. Any unused spaces are completed by the driver of the car behind you. If you elect to not even order the dice, that is done by the next driver too.

And you still get a time penalty.

Fun!

We tried that aswell but it turne out way to harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Coxon
msg tools
l-hansen wrote:
We tried that aswell but it turne out way to harsh.

Harsh is good :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.