Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
140 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: Brisbane April 2017 Maths Trade Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
What did you expect to see here?
badge
Nope, nothing much here either, but thanks for looking :)
mbmbmbmbmb

This maths trade is a local swap for Brisbane, Australia. To participate you need to either be in Brisbane, or have a way to get your games to and from Brisbane for the trade.

17 April 2017 - Easter Monday public holiday
Trade location - Critical Mass Chermside

Maths Trade Geek List (CLOSED): --> Brisbane April 2017 Maths Trade

Results here: --> Results are Here!!

Post leftovers for sale here: --> Brisbane Maths Trade Leftovers Sale and Flea Market

Organisers:
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sly Gryphon
Australia
Upper Kedron
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rules:

d10-0 Everyone should work together to make this trade work out and ensure everyone gets their games in good order. Be up front about delays. Overcommunicate. Try to help other folks out. Ask for help if you have any concerns, questions or troubles.

d10-1 The official trade window time will be 13:00 - 16:00 (i.e. 1pm till 4pm)* on Easter Monday (the public holiday), 17 April, 2017 at the Critical Mass Chermside meetup: Chermside Library, Ground Floor, 375 Hamilton Road, Chermside (north side of Brisbane).

If you haven't been to Critical Mass before, you are more than welcome to play before, during, or after the trade; gaming runs 10:00 - late (maybe you can also get an intro / how to play from the person giving you the game!).

More details about Critical Mass are in the forums here. There is also a Facebook group.

You are welcome to handover your games prior to this if you arrange it yourself, but you must be able to make the games available at the trade if necessary. If you won't be able to make it to the trade, you may be able to arrange for someone to drop off / pick up your games.

d10-2 If you are outside Brisbane, you are welcome to participate, provided you can get games to/from the trade. Alternatively, you could arrange the relevant shipping for anything you send or receive, or possibly both, outside Brisbane.

General rules:

d10-3 This trade is for board games, expansions, card games, game accessories, RPG, and the like.

d10-4 Provide as much detail as possible (edition, language, sleeved cards, game condition, etc). Pick a picture that represents the game you're offering if there are multiple versions or publishers. If necessary, take a picture of the game, upload it to your gallery, and use that image.

Note whether the game is: never opened (still in shrink wrap), open but unpunched, open and punched (but never played), open and played, or other condition.

Count all the pieces and make sure they are there. Indicate if you are combining any items, e.g expansions, organisers, or other accessories.

d10-5 Duplicate items are fine; there is no limit on how many items you can add. You can also combine items (e.g. expansions) if you want to trade/sell as a lot.

d10-6 Cash offers and swaps are fine, although the preference is to swap games. Anyone receiving cash is required to give 3% to BGG via a marketplace listing.

Details for paying commission are in this thread

• Receiver of the cash needs to make the listing.
• Should be a generic accessory item, as the game you send isn't the game they receive.
• Instructions say that the sender of the cash (rather than receiver of item) needs to "buy" the item,
but you can just buy it yourself (add to cart), which is probably easier (and still pays the commission).

You don't need to put a price in the Geek List, as it will be handled by the want lists. Note that cash can still participate in a swap chain so it can be added to a want list even if there isn't a price listed, e.g. one person offering $40 for Game A can match with someone else accepting $40 for Game B (if there is a swap of Game A through to Game B).

There will also be a want list verifier that we are going to try and get set up for folks to use to ensure their wish list is not malformed.

d10-7 Comments and questions in the Discussion Thread are great. Feel free to ask about anything you don't understand, or about which you need some help.

Important Dates (times in Brisbane local):-

All Items added to the list by: 21:00 (9pm) Wednesday 29 March 2017

Item want list codes will be posted: Thursday 30 March 2017

Want lists due by geekmail to JxxD: 20:00 (8pm) Sunday 9 April 2017

Results posted: Monday 10 April 2017

Trade Location:

Critical Mass Chermside
Chermside Library,
Ground Floor,
375 Hamilton Road,
Chermside

Trade window:

13:00 - 16:00* (1pm to 4 pm)
Monday 17 April, 2017
(Easter Monday public holiday)

Useful Links

Maths Trade Geek List (CLOSED): --> Brisbane April 2017 Maths Trade

Results here: --> Results are Here!!

Post leftovers for sale here: --> Brisbane Maths Trade Leftovers Sale and Flea Market

HELP: Wiki link for how it all works, documentation, tools and templates: Aussie Maths Trade (some documentation may be out of date). Or feel free to ask questions in the Discussion Thread and we’ll try to help you as much as we can.

____

*Note as to Times: At time of original posting the library is currently moving and arrangements are yet to be formally confirmed for the Easter Monday public holiday booking, but both the organisers, and Critical Mass, expect there to be no issues with their booking. Should anything change, we will post it in this Discussion Thread, and in the Geek List.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running this maths trade. Avoiding postage makes games trading much more doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gab Pal
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
The best games ingeniously blend Euro and Ameritrash styles
badge
THE CAKE IS A LIE !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for organising this.
This is my first maths trade
I have been wanting to take part in one for a while!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jeff you learnt the code eh? good job, looking forward to it .... though a little bummed I just sold like 20 games ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for organising guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Got a question on the Geek List so thought I'd cross post here....

Critical Mass on the 2017 Bne MT Geek List (here) wrote:
What is the stance on making pre-trade deals?

Good question. I had assumed pre-trades would occur - it's what we did last year and it seemed to work and not unnecessarily hamper the trade loops, so let's roll with it again this time round. If it becomes an issue, we can look at it again before the next MT.

____

sgryphon in the 2016 MT thread (here) wrote:

TLDR; any trade is good, maths trade is better as it may be 3-way or more (longer chain), but direct trade is still okay, even if not as good.

----

Well, any trade is the objective, as far as I am concerned.

If both people are happy with the trade, then that is good. If they are trading directly, they didn't need to go through the maths trade, so if running the trade simply helped them find each other that is good.

I suppose a negative of pre-trading is that leaving it in the algorithm may get more total trades, because it may be able to find a 3-way trade, and will preference longer chains (more trades).

e.g. if someone will trade Game A for Game B or $50, someone else offers $50 for Game A, and someone else will sell Game B for $50, then the only direct trade is $50 for Game A (the person with Game B misses out).

If run through the algorithm, however, it will preference the 3-way trade: the first person gets Game B, the second gets Game A, and the third person gets $50.

The trade off is a bit of the unknown (exactly what you will get) in return for more total trades (although unknown can also be exciting).

Note that after direct trading, if the first person still really wants Game B, then they can always put in a cash offer (with the $50 they just got).

So we'll leave it like that for this trade and revisit if we need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah heaps of people were trading / selling last year and it was fine.

But I remember Sly specifically saying not to remove items but to cross them out so as not to break order in the list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep. you don't want to mess with game item codes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reminder Mick!

Yes folks, please don't delete any items. If you trade or sell your game before the trade closes, please DO NOT DELETE THE ITEM.

Just edit the entry and clearly mark it as TRADED or SOLD or WITHDRAWN or whatever, and we'll make sure not to give it a code, and not to include it in the games that will up for trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'll have to have a look at what i got lying around.

Value wise i got the short end of the stick last year, but that was my fault entirely. Unfortunately I've got very little trade bait, that i would actually trade away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes pre-trades are a good idea. The idea is to trade games, so if the maths trade drives that through pre-trades, then so be it. Plus, you can't really stop them. How do you tell the difference between someone choosing to keep a game vs having already traded it or sold it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up folks.

I'll be asking for help to work the trade table - won't be much involved, basically just making sure games are collected by/given to the right person.

If we can get a few folks to help out, and share the load that will be really great, and mean we can all get more gaming in.

So while you are thinking about which of your games need a new home, or what games you want to add to your collection, think about whether you could help out for a little while. If nothing else it will give you the chance to meet some other local gamers, and maybe make a new gaming buddy!

If you think you could help us out, let me know here, and as we get closer I'll firm up a plan/roster/loose arrangement/whatever.

At this stage it's just asking you to think about helping out and if you think you could, to let us know. Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You make a list of the games you would be happy to receive for EACH game you post. So long as you don't screw up (eg list a little card game on your desired trades for a $250 collectors item) you can't lose. You can only get trades for things you say you would like for each of your games. You also can set an amount of money you would be happy to receive for each game but only if you want to. In fact if you can't find anything you would find as a good trade for an item you post, you leave it with a blank list and don't trade it.
If you want a bunch of small games for one rare or valuable item of yours, you will need to contact the owner of the small games and make a pre-trade deal. The system only works for one to one trades (they may be a circle of trades with hundreds of items involved but each one listing of yours can only trade for one listing of someone elses in the trade algorithm.) If you have a bunch of small items it may make sense to group small or medium sized games into one listing if you are trying to trade for some premium items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Osiris,

totally get your confusion I felt the same last year ;-)

1. Listing the games and the actually trade are separate. At a certain time (pretty sure March 29) Jeff will put up all the "codes" for each game. Then you send back in a geek mail the code of each of your games with all the codes of games you are willing to trade for (also money amounts if you would also accept cash). Thus if you don't like any of the trades don't list anything after them.

2.a) you can only trade 1 item for 1 item so if you make a "bundle" be sure to only place codes for other games / bundles that you think are worth it. However you can make proposals via private messages to other users BEFORE THE CODES to organise a private trade / sale

b.) Hmm don't know the rule but generally you just put a cash offer up if your particularly looking to sell, not trades.

3. Once the Math trade is finalized you will receive a document stating who you are giving and receiving games / money (yes you can potentially give $20 to one guy and get a game from another guy). Then you can private message them to organise when to meet etc. I found last year that all my games were just left in a big pile with my name on it from people who had been and gone, then I just gave mine in person or left in a named pile.

It really is very cool how the system works. Quite a lot of fun

Hope this make it clearer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Martin
Australia
Dimboola
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is organising the trade table? - And did they want some help with it? I can help for an hour or two if they want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Me I guess Damien!

Thanks for the offer - as we get closer to the date I'll hit you up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james Reid
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
As someone who didn't trade any last time - I can say you don't have to turn up if you don't trade anything. For people who did go last time, did much post trade buy/swap/sell went on at the event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not much, it was mostly before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold or gave away a couple of games post trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I'd disagree with Mick, there was a lot that traded on the day. Sure some games went in pre-trade sales or swaps, and some deliveries were arranged before the day, and a few untraded games sold after the trade day, but the vast majority actually changed hands on the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a reminder folks - get your games listed asap - time's a running out fast....

Deadline for adding items to the Trade List is next Wednesday 29 March 2017 - cutoff is at 21:00 (9pm).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've broken the 500 games listed barrier - woo-hoo!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i swear it took longer this year, although that said Jeff is only just listing his stuff now ..... we might break the 600 barrier soon too

Just kidding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although now he is the one coding I'm sure he'll hold back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.