Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there's any hope of changes being made in the artwork and graphic design at this point, but I wanted to add my feedback just in case.
I know many players don't care much about the visual quality of a game, but there are probably more who do. Unless it's a question of cost, I don't understand why a publisher would release a game nowadays with subpar looks.
Or is it just me that finds this game very unattractive?
I think the gameplay looks fun, and I want the product to succeed, but I really worry about its chances because of its looks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tzvika Harpaz
Israel
Kiryat Tivon
North
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
grithog wrote:
I don't know if there's any hope of changes being made in the artwork and graphic design at this point, but I wanted to add my feedback just in case.
I know many players don't care much about the visual quality of a game, but there are probably more who do. Unless it's a question of cost, I don't understand why a publisher would release a game nowadays with subpar looks.
Or is it just me that finds this game very unattractive?
I think the gameplay looks fun, and I want the product to succeed, but I really worry about its chances because of its looks.

I agree with you that the art and graphic design can be largely improved by a seasoned board game graphic designer. However, the tiles and hexes have an easy to understand iconography and some nice colors.
The part that really bugs me is the board (and I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder). It looks very different from the tiles, like someone else made it with far less skill. The board is bland and looks like it was done quickly for testing purposes and was left like this since then. This part should really get an update by someone skilled as it looks like something I could have done myself in less than 10 minutes :-)
You'd be amazed by what a professional board game graphic designer can do with this game. I can recommend Giota Vorgia which did this work for Athlas, but any professional can bump the game's graphic quality by more than a few notches.
Other than that, I really like the mechanics in the game and I do want to see the project comes to live and sold well in the stores.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Smith
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I kind of like the art...reminds me of Peloponnes

Also for me the game looks to be fantastic, so the art will just be a background to some hopefully fantastic gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 5
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah IMO also the art is terrible.I love the game idea but the art style/design is really offputting.I think it will lose a lot of support on kickstarter because of the art style , as a lot of people won't give it a second look.
But even with that I will probably back because of the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I saw one pic in the gallery that said "final art", so...

Also, people railed on Nations for the art, but I thought it was on par with the original Through the Ages and the gameplay was more enjoyable to me than TtA. I love a pretty game, but to me, the gameplay is the thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Gameplay beats Artwork each and every time ...

Also, I don't mind the artwork of this game. It's clean and functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tzvika Harpaz
Israel
Kiryat Tivon
North
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Gameplay beats Artwork each and every time ...

Also, I don't mind the artwork of this game. It's clean and functional.

Gameplay is also much more important to me. This is why I backed the project. I really like the clean mechanics of the game and I'm sure it would be fun to play.
I just wished a little more effort was put to match the ideas with a suitable worthy graphic design.at least for the board.
Let's hope the game still gets funded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to see "ugly", wait til I have a functional prototype for what I'm working on. That's gonna be ugly! It's what happens when you have zero artistic skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I really like the artwork. <shrug>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Rahdo's video was using a prototype, so kind of hard to judge based on that. Still looked decent enough to me though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Nations and Nations: The Dice Game, and I backed Tribes as soon as I knew about it. But, yes, the art is, to put it kindly, functional. As long as the actual quality of the pieces is good, I'm happy. Nation's art isn't spectacular but the cards and tokens themselves are high quality and have held up through repeated plays. And, gameplay-wise, Nation's cards are clear and functional.

With Tribes, I'll be able to look past that creepy baby as long as the tiles feel high quality and hold up though many plays.

But, seriously, that baby's creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Spangler
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
matt0001 wrote:
But, seriously, that baby's creepy.

I feel like that whole "eye-of-the-beholder" thing may not be the whole story when things like this happen. There is some metric where we could measure the creepiness of that baby and it would come out non-zero, based on physical laws somehow. Like, this is not my beholding eye. We agree, it is objective fact in a way I can't fully prove, but know in my bones is true: that baby is creepy.

EDIT: On second thought, it could be that all babies are objectively creepy and the art is just faithfully portraying things as they really are. It is we who are blind. These things cannot be truly known.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Insta-back if they release a print and play version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
New version of Tribes from Kosmos at Spiel 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
sixpintsofbitter wrote:
Insta-back if they release a print and play version.

The latest PNP version is on our community development site (dev.teatimeproductions.se no cost), it is fine but the layout is slightly out of layout sync. There will be a fully updated PNP in a couple of days. There you can also see what we are working on with the game right now, and other games by us and others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tzvika Harpaz
Israel
Kiryat Tivon
North
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!
Here is how you know the people behind the project care about the people who back it. This is taken from the latest kickstarter update:

"We will always listen to what our backers think, and one of the more popular demands has been regarding the layout of the board and its design. Therefor we can now reveal that in honor of our first 381 backers, we will try to put as much effort into improving the board as possible. As soon as we have more substantial things to show, we will post them here and at our boardgamegeek page"

Two thumbs up for the effort of making us happy :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Lehnardt
France
Benfeld
Alsace
flag msg tools
also a bit disapointed by the graphisms.
Functional ok but not good looking.
I am really hesitating....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tzvika wrote:
Wow!
Here is how you know the people behind the project care about the people who back it. This is taken from the latest kickstarter update:

"We will always listen to what our backers think, and one of the more popular demands has been regarding the layout of the board and its design. Therefor we can now reveal that in honor of our first 381 backers, we will try to put as much effort into improving the board as possible. As soon as we have more substantial things to show, we will post them here and at our boardgamegeek page"

Good on them, but the fact that they had to have people tell them this to take action worries me a bit. And the fact that they are now committing themselves to trying to improve the board means that delivery times might slip before the campaign even concludes. Any edits seem like they would need to be rushed to effect much positive growth in campaign funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tzvika Harpaz
Israel
Kiryat Tivon
North
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thorphin wrote:
tzvika wrote:
Wow!

Good on them, but the fact that they had to have people tell them this to take action worries me a bit. And the fact that they are now committing themselves to trying to improve the board means that delivery times might slip before the campaign even concludes. Any edits seem like they would need to be rushed to effect much positive growth in campaign funds.

Not necessarily. Edits to a simple board, before sending it to the printer, shouldn't delay anything. This is the fast part and can be easily done during the campaign itself. Causes for delays are usually found after everything is ready to go to the printer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is obvious now that we focused really really hard on gameplay and too little on layout. We are working on it, and same as before we are releasing updates on the dev site to show how we are thinking and how it is going. Comments on the changes are very positive, and when we are happy with them we will release both here and on the Kickstarter page. Please join if you want to participate, it is free.

We do not see a risk of delay due to this work, we are not doing any drastic changes that need months of testing.

Although we have worked through the rulebook again and again based on tons of feedback over the years, now with a wider audience we are getting even more comments and are updating that too. Same here, we do not see a risk that it will delay the production. If a critical issue in gameplay is found, that will have to take it time to be fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Gameplay > Art each and every time.

Game doesn't look that bad to begin with, but any minor improvements to the look are a simple change and shouldn't require much time at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:

I have to disagree. There are so many boardgames to choose from, that I will not buy or back a game when I dislike the art. No matter how stellar the gameplay. Happened with Terraforming Mars and is happening here again. I just know, it will bother me while playing and there are too many other choices around anyway.
I would have probably backed the game, if it weren't for the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Candacis wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

I have to disagree. There are so many boardgames to choose from, that I will not buy or back a game when I dislike the art. No matter how stellar the gameplay. Happened with Terraforming Mars and is happening here again. I just know, it will bother me while playing and there are too many other choices around anyway.
I would have probably backed the game, if it weren't for the art.

Terraforming is an amazing game, your loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I wanna give it the benefit of the doubt and not only judge it by its looks. Is there a way to play the PnP to get familiar with Tribes? I havent found it on the mentioned website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candacis wrote:
Well, I wanna give it the benefit of the doubt and not only judge it by its looks. Is there a way to play the PnP to get familiar with Tribes? I havent found it on the mentioned website.

dev.teatimeproductions.se , but please wait with printing a couple of days for the updated PNP with the revised layout.

Edit: You are very welcome to join now of course, participate in discussions and see how the layout work is progressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay should be more important than presentation (art and graphics).

But, in the long tail, gameplay doesn't sell games. Presentation does.

Look at CMON, they sell millions of dollars worth of plastic and cardboard, yet the gameplay is usually just average/sub par. It's the presentation selling these toys.

I think this game sounds interesting, and fun, but I'll never get it to the table in it's current presentation, not when it has to compete with what else is on the shelf these days.

Kickstarter has ruined the days of getting by with poor presentation. If you look at the history of Euro game publishing (with some notable exceptions), you can see an uptick in presentation right around the time that KS became an accepted avenue for game publishing. This game's presentation would have been fine 6 years ago, no one would had batted an eye. Today. It's just not hitting the bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.