Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that really the box cover that represents the photo on the game's page? I came here to learn more about this game and see if I perhaps would buy it. But if that's the "art" on the cover, then I can save myself the time straight away.
gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Is that really the box cover that represents the photo on the game's page? I came here to learn more about this game and see if I perhaps would buy it. But if that's the "art" on the cover, then I can save myself the time straight away.
gulp

Never judge a book by its cover.

Great game. Great system. You'd be missing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
gulp

Thanks. I'll gladly pass then. Plenty of other great games to play (and own) that also aren't cringe-worthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
gulp

Thanks. I'll gladly pass then. Plenty of other great games to play (and own) that also aren't cringe-worthy.

shake

Not really cringe worthy, though I recognize your right to your own opinion and superficial judging standards of course. It's a choice in art direction that has absolutely nothing to do with the "greatness" of the game.

ASL's maps and counters for example are hideous, but many recognize it's a great game.

But to each his/her own. Not really sure why you felt the need to post about it instead of moving along and finding a My Pretty Pony game or something more attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is brilliant. Who cares what the box looks like!!

What exactly was the point of this post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I've been backed out of a game by an extremely ugly art design; Marvel Legendary comes to mind for instance, not only the art: card design, font(ugh!), etc.

On the other hand, the box cover is not something you're forced to watch during gameplay, so I don't see how it is a concern. And in this particular case I don't think it's an ugly design, it's clean and easy to look at. You mean the guy in the box is ugly? he looks like one of those loveable sarges from old b/w war movies.

Speaking of which, the uniqueness of this guy's face (you know, he looks like an ordinary guy, not your square-jaw-tough-as-nails-superhero typical fictional soldier) makes me think he might be a real soldier taken from a stock picture or something. Might it be so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billie Kingfisher Jr
United States
Vermillion
SD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have similar issue with the cover art. As a former paratrooper who has met many WWII veterans who served in the 101st & 82nd Abn divisions, having an overweight & unkempt individual as the literal face of those great men who set the standard for those of us who followed is a disservice to them. By the way what was wrong with the old cover art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry but I agree, it's horrible art and doesn't do its job as a cover (evoke a theme and sell the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
Speaking of which, the uniqueness of this guy's face (you know, he looks like an ordinary guy, not your square-jaw-tough-as-nails-superhero typical fictional soldier) makes me think he might be a real soldier taken from a stock picture or something. Might it be so?

This is who the image is based on.

Maybe we could ask LnL to put up some art based on glamorous celebrities on their cover art. You know, those beautiful people who aren't cringe worthy like the rest of us regular folks. After all, only square cut guys with perfect appearances fought in WWII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
My response above was perhaps a bit sarcastic in the extreme. I don't find the "soldier's" appearance evocative of the theme, but it's less to do with his looks and more because his facial expression is too soft. I'd prefer a more serious look on his face.

But I'd not let that stop me from buying a great game.

Edit: I also don't have a problem with the "cartoon" style rendition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well having that about 15 million americans served in the military during WW2, I think it is unlikely they all were Brad Pitt lookalikes. Here's a couple of them:

They look pretty unremarkable to me. And a little unkempt too, maybe it's difficult keeping a spotless appearance with all the shooting, exploding and bleeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
srcabeza wrote:

Well having that about 15 million americans served in the military during WW2, I think it is unlikely they all were Brad Pitt lookalikes. Here's a couple of them:

They look pretty unremarkable to me. And a little unkempt too, maybe it's difficult keeping a spotless appearance with all the shooting, exploding and bleeding.

The man on the box cover is sporting a neatly trimmed goatee.

If you do a google image search for "goatee" you're going to see pretty much every modern day American "A-List" actor with a goatee...including Brad Pit.

I have no idea how many American soldiers sported goatees during WW2, but they are definitely popular in America today. Joe Foss did have one at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:

Too fat, especially for airborne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the chance that LnL monitors and cares, I'll chime in that I find the box art quite ugly. When it was first posted, I believed it to be place holder art. As a final cover?.... could have used a bit more workshopping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
srcabeza wrote:

This is who the image is based on.

Maybe we could ask LnL to put up some art based on glamorous celebrities on their cover art. You know, those beautiful people who aren't cringe worthy like the rest of us regular folks. After all, only square cut guys with perfect appearances fought in WWII.

The guy looks like a real Sh** Bag (a term we often used in the military).
Not only is his smile creepy but he is generally just fat and out of shape and probably wont ever make a line NCO because he cant pass his PT test. So they just make him a supply Sgt, who in the end just ends up eating all the rations.

His well kept creeper goatee isnt helping the situation either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If disliking the art on the box is enough to keep you from buying and playing a great game, then you really don't deserve to play it anyway.

Sounds to me like you want it to look good rather than be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
If disliking the art on the box is enough to keep you from buying and playing a great game, then you really don't deserve to play it anyway.

Sounds to me like you want it to look good rather than be good.

I have high standards for my niche hobby of boardgaming. Art and look are part of the whole game experience, and if I find them lacking, then I will pass. Thankfully, there are many great games that also don't look ridiculous that I "deserve" to play. No love lost here on my part for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do get your criticism of the box artwork for this series, but as someone who plays the games, I would have to say that once you get past the box art, the game / system is deserving of attention.

For the tactical player, we have a system that is old enough to be solid and well developed, with an order of battle that extends from 1939 out to through WWII, into Nam and onto the Falklands and Europe mid 80's.

There is product still coming out, the most recent being Frozen Hell, a module that supports the Heroes of the Pacific base game.

interestingly the artistic level of the contents is very high and 'up there' when compared to available tactical games on the market. The money has definitely been spent on the contents rather than the covers.

the problem for the box is that you are getting something like counter art massively oversized, when usually it goes the other way, with such art being created large and then downsized with tightens the image and any imperfections tend to be lost.

I am slightly interested by the subject at the moment as for one reason or another, I have just blogged a reflective post on my gaming world, which looks at the question of whether in our strive to get to our current professional - 'everything must be perfect' world, we have not lost a certain something along the way. Product is certainly better than it was, but our ability to naively take simple pleasures has perhaps somewhat diminished.

None of that view is to take anything away from the poster, I am just highlighting that this is one instance when the book would benefit from not being judged by its cover. For anyone who is a tactical fan, there is quite a bit of recent video footage of this system available at YouTube, it may be worth a moment of time to look at some of that to make a judgement as to whether the game holds anything for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

normsmith wrote:
The money has definitely been spent on the contents rather than the covers.

Many of us are very thankful that is the approach you take! Pretty games that are crap to play have no place in a very saturated marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:

normsmith wrote:
The money has definitely been spent on the contents rather than the covers.

Many of us are very thankful that is the approach you take! Pretty games that are crap to play have no place in a very saturated marketplace.

I agree that attractive games with crappy gameplay are ones I pass on as well. But your statement above is a false dichotomy. As I said before, there are many games that look nice AND are fun to play.

We can disagree about what is attractive and what isn't. And if you agree that the cover is poor, but don't mind owning or playing the game anyway, then that's fine too. You just have different standards than I do. That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just sort of sad that you don't think a game is worth a look based on the box it comes in. It's your choice of course but I think to have your opinion of a system as vast and highly praised as LnL sullied by a piece of cardboard is just a shame.

I'm trying to put myself in a mindset like yours and keep failing. If I saw the same reviews that I have seen of the LnL system and the content came in a plain brown box with stick figures doodled over it I would still be interested in buying it. I somehow feel like none of this is going to shift your opinion however so I wish you luck in your future endeavors of playing games that come with both nice covers and are fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To fully get the what the graphic designer has 'gone for', one has to see all panels of the box (front / rear and side facings), which are done in the same style.

There is a unified approach to the entire series coverage on the reprint, with everything being a montage of existing counter and map artwork within the box.

The style is very deliberate and taken across the entire range, even the modules and rule book covers are dealt with in this way, together with some artwork to the play aids.

It is an interesting topic. As an owner / user of the game, I don't really see the art on the box, probably because it mirrors exactly what I am playing with. Clearly a case of I look but I do not see. This post made me have a close look today and the unified and deliberate style is actually quite clever when you look at everything, taken together.

The maps, which also appear on the cover / sides / rear, are beautiful to play on. It becomes quite interesting therefore to see that the artwork itself amalgamated into the box art can translate into a purchasing barrier. The whole thing about what does and doesn't work is obviously subjective, so all opinions are valid.

I wonder if the large face (a leader counter) was instead replaced with the front half of an armoured vehicle counter (i.e.something inanimate), whether that would strike a different chord with the poster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Tanguay
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norm, I think it has more to do with THIS cover than the concept behind LNLT covers. I have not seen a single comment about the cover of Heroes of the Motherland or Day of Heroes. I think some people perceive this one as not heroic enough, or attractive enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is not at this point or likely to be in the near future a large enough surfeit of tactical games systems that I can base my choices on something other than the play experience.

This probably has less to do with the explosion of games available as much as the explosion of people playing games. The profile of BGG users has changed greatly in the last decade, and I suspect as the percentage of the population, who play strategy games, increases the percentage in that group who are die-hard gamers decreases. I think that drives a strong increase in people having problems with tangential product issues like packaging, inserts, and other bits that do not really affect their play experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
There is not at this point or likely to be in the near future a large enough surfeit of tactical games systems that I can base my choices on something other than the play experience.

This probably has less to do with the explosion of games available as much as the explosion of people playing games. The profile of BGG users has changed greatly in the last decade, and I suspect as the percentage of the population, who play strategy games, increases the percentage in that group who are die-hard gamers decreases. I think that drives a strong increase in people having problems with tangential product issues like packaging, inserts, and other bits that do not really affect their play experience.

Hi Scott. Yes, I suppose you're right about the tastes of gamers changing, but I would not consider myself as part of the majority in terms of this changing preference for shiny bits. I'm picky, indeed, but more in terms of minimalism/realism/mature in nature. For example, I dislike using playtesters/funders/designers/etc on components even though I understand the need to recognize their efforts and/or money*. I also prefer NATO symbology over silhouettes or pictures. (I realize this is not relevant to a tactical level game such as this.) I also prefer wood and cardboard over plastic miniatures. So, in these ways, I would say I diverge from the crowd.

After all, I prefer the old Brass over the new fangled Roxley version!
It's a great hobby in that we have such a multitude of games where I'm afforded the luxury of my strict standards.
And Tanto Cuore may be an excellent game, but nevertheless, I would be ashamed/embarrassed to have it on my gaming table/shelf.

Thanks for all the comments, and glad the art doesn't affect the enjoyment for the rest of you.

Scott, let me know if you get a Sat/Sun free and we'll host you for games.

*I suppose it can be done tastefully, but here it just feels shoehorned in, and really doesn't fit the theme at all to me. Perhaps having been a soldier, I have a certain "look" for other soldiers that I expect to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.