22 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Did we play Scenario 2 correctly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Ackland
msg tools
Obvious spoiler for Scenario 2.

The Special ability of the Bandit Commander is to "jump" to the next door and unlock it, revealing the living corpses on the other side.

We played it so that every time Special 1 came up, he teleported to the next door, no matter where he was on the map. We ended up winning, but barely (3/4 exhausted, 2nd last possible play by the last character).

Afterwards, it occurred to me that the ability could be interpreted as the Bandit Commander moves his base movement with a jump in the direction of the next door. That would certainly have been a lot easier.

Which is the correct interpretation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
You played it correctly. He's a boss. Bosses are cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's correct. My daughters and I just finished that one last night as well. 2 of us exhausted and the last possible turn for my daughter playing the Scoundrel and she was able to kill the last enemy. Doesn't get any closer than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was unsure of this one as well and wondered whether he maybe just Moved with Jump. I think I actually also played that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Baker
Canada
Taber
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played this yesterday, and we finished the scenario on the last possible turn, although, we could have finished a bit earlier but we made sure to get the chest. 1 player was exhausted, and the other two of us were literally on our last turn when we won. It made for such an exciting ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jakab

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it the second way. Given "jump" has a specific meaning in the game, I assume that if he was supposed to teleport to the door it would have said so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes it a bit easier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stevens
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
It's most def supposed to be a teleport action it's a special move for crying out loud

Maybe jump should be changed to hops or shifts. I think the distinction is supposed to be made that the boss has to move on top of the door to open it and doesn't just magically open doors from across the map without jumping to the door tile

Another way to make this easy is how it happened in our game I.e. Pulling two Scenerio 2 re-shuffle cards early then having all the Scenerio 1 cards end up on the bottom after a majestic shuffle. Got thru without him opening a single door ninja sent a prayer up to the gods of Gloomhaven after that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guti
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
stevejreg wrote:
I played it the second way. Given "jump" has a specific meaning in the game, I assume that if he was supposed to teleport to the door it would have said so.

I played it that he teleports (which has been stated by Isaac to be correct), but I agree it is a poor choice of words to use a term with an already in-game meaning for something completely different. In my opinion it should be changed to "teleports" in the second printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guti_ wrote:
stevejreg wrote:

I played it that he teleports (which has been stated by Isaac to be correct), but I agree it is a poor choice of words to use a term with an already in-game meaning for something completely different. In my opinion it should be changed to "teleports" in the second printing.

The only real confusion is that it says Jump without giving a number. If it said Move 12 Jump, no one would be confused (I would hope). There's no reason to invent a new mechanic when Jump works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zhi liao
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
another question about scenario 2, what do the icons on the corner of the bandit boss mean? I assume that it meant on his attacks, he stuns, curses and immoblizes you, don't i couldn't find anywhere in the book that tells you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ackland
msg tools
technomagez wrote:
another question about scenario 2, what do the icons on the corner of the bandit boss mean? I assume that it meant on his attacks, he stuns, curses and immoblizes you, don't i couldn't find anywhere in the book that tells you.

Immune to those effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
technomagez wrote:

Rules P32:
Quote:
Lastly, bosses are immune to certain negative conditions. The conditions to which they are immune are listed on their stat card .

It's the bold text in the section titled Bosses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevejreg wrote:

Everytime jump is used as the mechanic, the symbol for it accompanies the wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So technically you cant push the bandit captain into a room he just opened, and then stand in the door way to keep him from getting out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zakner wrote:
So technically you cant push the bandit captain into a room he just opened, and then stand in the door way to keep him from getting out?

Aye, can't stop him from using his special to open the next room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy C
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
You can stand in the doorway to the next room, making that hex an invalid target for his teleport/jump.

Obviously you can only do this after he's opened all the doors and let all the monsters out, so we did not feel that this was an exploit, let alone cheating.

I.e., we still had to deal with all the monsters and the boss simultaneously in one room.

You can also surround him and then he no longer has any valid hexes in which to summon an ally.
His allies will also block adjacent hexes, so it doesn't have to be players exclusively.
(This is probably easier in 4 player.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zakner wrote:

Monsters can jump through players, just like players can jump through monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eris23 wrote:
You can stand in the doorway to the next room, making that hex an invalid target for his teleport/jump.

Obviously you can only do this after he's opened all the doors and let all the monsters out, so we did not feel that this was an exploit, let alone cheating.

I.e., we still had to deal with all the monsters and the boss simultaneously in one room.

You can also surround him and then he no longer has any valid hexes in which to summon an ally.
His allies will also block adjacent hexes, so it doesn't have to be players exclusively.
(This is probably easier in 4 player.)

I believe the FAQ still says he will teleport nearby if an open door is blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerold Wallis

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the commanders "summons" of a living bones is ambiguous.

We played it as a "regular monster" appears of that type, with its own initiative value (since we were using the appropriate monster deck with initiative values), and it lives after the commander dies, though we did say no action on the turn it appears similar to other summons.

We did not play it as a character summons (initiative just before that of the summoner, and vanishes upon death of the summoner).

Not sure which is correct.

JW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerold_wallis wrote:
Also the commanders "summons" of a living bones is ambiguous.

We played it as a "regular monster" appears of that type, with its own initiative value (since we were using the appropriate monster deck with initiative values), and it lives after the commander dies, though we did say no action on the turn it appears similar to other summons.

We did not play it as a character summons (initiative just before that of the summoner, and vanishes upon death of the summoner).

Not sure which is correct.

JW

Character summons (pg. 26 of the rules) and monster summons (pg. 31 of rules) are slightly different. The way you're playing it is exactly how the rules on pg. 31 tell you to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
warwick walker
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

stevejreg wrote:

It did."immediately jumps into a door hex, regardless of how far away it is, and opens it.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.