Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be playing this game primarily solo, so initially want to just sleeve the minimum number of cards needed for solo play.

So, which card types can I sleeve 1/5th of?
And, which card types should I sleeve all of?

EDIT: I should probably clarify my question...

I will be sleeving every card I use in the game, in time. Not sleeving is not an option. But it will be a week or two before I am able to get enough sleeves for everything, and I would like to get the game to the table before that, but I do have some sleeves to hand.

What I have sleeved are:

- Most of the Spacecraft cards (enough to be able to choose to use any one of three angencies).
- One each of the Advancememt cards.
- 1/5 of each type of Outcome cards.

And I will sleeve Component cards as I use them.

Is this sufficient for solo play?
Will using 1/5 of the Outcome cards throw the balance off?
Will I need more than one of each Advancement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest it is just as easy to sleeve them all than just sleeving some of them. Especially since for some card types you can easily end up using all of them even when playing solo.

If you are determined to only sleeve some of the cards, then I would still recommend sleeving all of the Outcome cards and Mission cards, as these get shuffled (as do the map cards, but getting sleeves for those is not so easy), and sleeve components as you need/use them, so that you get an idea of how many you end up using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All, just the outcome cards, none.

that will be 0.02€ please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only sleeved the outcome cards but I will also sleeve the mission cards (even though it's not necessary).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just the outcome cards seeing as they are the only ones that really get shuffled and gotta be free of markings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP edited to clarify question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted to save money by not sleeving some of the cards, focus on the cards that get handled the most. In order of use, I think that would be:

1) Outcome cards
2) Location cards
3) Component cards (probes, rockets, supplies, capsules, astronauts, samples)
4) Mission cards
5) Agency cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
If you wanted to save money by not sleeving some of the cards, focus on the cards that get handled the most. In order of use, I think that would be:

1) Outcome cards
2) Location cards
4) Mission cards
5) Agency cards

gar0u: Have you found sleeves that will work for the location cards? If yes, details would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piman wrote:
18 outcome cards is not enough. I think you want at least 60.

Hmmm, ok, thanks.

Why is this? If 90 is enough for 5 players, why is 18 not enough for 1?
Is it normal to have more than 6 advancements in play and still being researched at one time?

Anyway, don't have enough sleeves to hand for 60, but could probably do 36. And want to keep the ratios the same as the full set of 90.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootstrap wrote:
gar0u wrote:

1) Outcome cards
2) Location cards
4) Mission cards
5) Agency cards

gar0u: Have you found sleeves that will work for the location cards? If yes, details would be greatly appreciated.

My understanding is that mini-cd sleeves are the right size.

But, problem I'm having is that there might be 2 different sizes of mini-cd sleeve and I can't find any that list dimensions.

I also want to avoid those with thick edges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piman wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Why is this? If 90 is enough for 5 players, why is 18 not enough for 1?

First, a solitaire game isn't 1/5 of a five player game. The solitaire scoring system is based on what's in the deck, not a subset of it. Just like you aren't taking 1/5 of the missions or 1/5 of the planets, the outcome cards just don't scale down like that.

Second, the point of the advancement cards is that there's enough you shouldn't have a solid idea of what's in any individual deck based on what you've already seen, outside of specific draws from that deck. Even in a five player game where it's possible (but probably unlikely) to get most of the failures of one type into the discard, the reshuffle will include plenty of discarded successes.

Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Is it normal to have more than 6 advancements in play and still being researched at one time?

It's not that you'll use all 18, though that's definitely possible. It's that you'll find two or three of the major failures early on and be able to ignore or track them the rest of the game.

Yeah, this was my concern - that it would throw the game balance out.

Thanks for confirming what I thought/feared.

Oh well, I'll see if I can double the number I have sleeved and will consider any games, before I get them all done, 'learning games'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.