Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So...you have to legally end movement before you can resolve an action, but any non-action abilities don't require it. For instance, Saska can enter a space with another figure, pass out a DT from that space, and then continue moving.

Now...along comes Jedi Luke. He can, once during his activation, perform an attack without using an action. This is a first. Never before has it been possible for any figure to start moving and then perform an attack without spending an action (which is what would normally require them to legally end movement) to do so. So...it seems like Luke can perform this free attack while sharing a space with another figure. Am I missing something...?

TL,DR: Are things that normally require actions during your activation (attack, move, interact, etc) considered to be actions, even if you don't have to spend an action to do them? If not, do we have our first figure that can attack while in a space where they can't legally end movement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you're not missing something.

With this ability he can attack while in a space with another figure, but he can't attack that figure (if it's a small figure) as figures in the same space are not adjacent to oneself.

It also allows him to attack twice each round as the limit is not 1 attack per round but 1 action spend on an action containing one or more attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
No, you're not missing something.

With this ability he can attack while in a space with another figure, but he can't attack that figure (if it's a small figure) as figures in the same space are not adjacent to oneself.

I don't think this correct. I believe you are referring to the rule that says a figure is not adjacent to itself...but that does not keep another figure in your space from being adjacent to you. Things in the same space are adjacent to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
I don't think this correct. I believe you are referring to the rule that says a figure is not adjacent to itself...but that does not keep another figure in your space from being adjacent to you. Things in the same space are adjacent to each other.

Read a bit of the RRG then. By rules as written, an object and figure in the same space is adjacent to each other for Blast and Cleave only. Nothing is said about two figures. You are explicitly allowed to attack objects in your space, in which case the required accuracy is 0, and they are not adjacent. Nothing is said about attacking other figures in the same space.

Companion rules makes companions in the same space adjacent explicitly, and attacking them in the same space require 1 accuracy.

Adjacent = 1 distance is a very deep equality in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
If not, do we have our first figure that can attack while in a space where they can't legally end movement?

The rules as written require that a figure ends movement to perform an action.

The same is not required for abilities that are not actions. This has been ruled previously for Saska's Battle Technician, and would apply by extension to abilities like Force Throw, Improper Procedure, and Force Speed.

Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight) has an ability Heroic which isn't an action. So, Luke could gain movement points, enter a space with another non-companion figure (hostile or friendly), not needing to end movement, and perform an attack from Heroic, as long as he has enough movement points to be able to end movement legally afterwards - whatever the result of the attack.

So, currently rules as written Heroic can be used to perform an attack during movement.

But don't get too attached to it working...

There are also some missions where you can interact without spending an action, so those can be performed while sharing a space with another figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you say the figure you are sharing space with are blocking your LOS?
Ie can you draw LOS through your own figure while sharing the space with another figure.

Rallying shout needs LOS for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallying shout doesn't matter as it can't be used while Luke is on Gideon's space (not explicitly, but practically as Luke can't end his movement on Gideon and RS is to be used during Gideons activation which is not during an interrupt).

And yes, RAW says that that figure blocks LOS, but as Luke doesn't have reach, he needs to be adjacent to his target and thus LOS doesn't matter, but you couldn't attack luke with an interrupt if you needed to draw LOS through the figure luke is sharing a space with.

I really feel that the more they bring in new stuff they show that they didn't think about something like that when writing the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where was it stated that we can use these "non action abilities" in the same space as another figure while spending our movement points? Not that I'm questioning "a1bert"'s information, he is usually right when related to Imperial Assault, I'm just curious to know, because I've double checked the rules and the Official FAQ and couldn't find this over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each ability specifies when it can be used. A lot of abilities say they can be performed during your activation. Abilities (page 2 of RRG) says, these can be used before or after actions during your activation.

This also applies to suffering strain for movement points and spending movement points. You can only spend movement points before or after actions. So, logically this means (and said in the FAQ) you need to end movement to take an action.

You can enter a space with another figure if you can end movement in a valid space.

There is no rule (yet) that requires you to end movement to use other abilities than actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. I think I never got the notion that using abilities is different from using actions. I kno they are different by game rules, but the abilities says you are doing something, so I always assumed that you also had to stop spending movement points in order to use abilities.

But you are right. When we talk about game rules, terminology is very important and FFG is quite good at it (at least is what I get from my short experience). If they took the time to make clear that Move Action is not actually moving, and spending movement points can happen any time, and also that you can use abilities before or after an action, it really must be meant to allow the use of abilities while in the same space as another figure in the middle of a "spending movement points" instance.

This also grants us very cool situations, as Diala running through a room full of stormtroopers, pushing someone she just got in range of and keep on running, just like luke could enter this room slicing through a trooper and using his action to attack ater he is on the other side of the room.

Thanks for this! I didnd't have a question as if Jedi Luke could attack twice, but I've never thought about this non action abilities in the same space as a figure. This was enlightening
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These do not come to happen often though. These are fringe cases.

Performing an attack while sharing a space is quite iffy though (and hard physically), so when the next FAQ 2.3 (finally) comes out, it will probably have something to say about it.

There are also abilities/command cards (Parting Shot) in skirmish which allow attacking a figure while that figure is moving and potentially sharing a space with another figure. The attacker, however, has ended movement when the attack happens - due to being an out-of-activation attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.