Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year there was some post from people wanting to try unusual/foreign/wierd sweets and snacks. Should we setup a trade or taste meetup during this years Spiel?

I guess for Germans attending the norwegian "Totenflak" snack sounds unusual, if a little distubing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds disturbing but looks like potato chips

I'd love to participate in a snack meeting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I need those for my next ASL game when I play the Jerries meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind someone from the UK bringing me a couple of bags of Porky's scratchings. We might not make it across the pond until next year and my stash is starting to run low already cry . My only alternative is an ex-pat store near Brussels, but €2 a bag is a hefty price for fried pork skin .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I'm coming this year - still not sure if I have anyone to do the rounds with - but if I am I can hook you up with pork products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
get off my avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing you have to take with you is smaaaaaash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed.
Now I've got seven months to think about what to bring that's not readily available in every supermarket...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Hatfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm coming from the United States. Is there anything people are looking for from the U.S.?

Edited for a typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinruns262 wrote:
I'm coming from the United States. Is there anything people are looking fro from the U.S.?

This. What would folks like to see/experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldron wrote:
The only thing you have to take with you is smaaaaaash

How about I bring one piece for each person

BTW Totenflak, smash and Freia Melkesjokolade are the 3 things if will likely bring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek Obszanski
Poland
flag msg tools
Black!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, sweet&snacks math trade ? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
The Dice & Mystics Board Game Guild say: Good play - better day!
badge
We can still hear you, Major Tom. Thank you.
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, if any one of you is after those "Stroopwafels" from the Netherlands: I found a supplier in an underground station in Düsseldorf last Saturday: The underground station which comes out at the old town near Galeria Kaufhof has a (nice!) Dutch snack shop, and I saw 3 different types of Stroopwafels, and also one organic variety. I do not now if there are better brands, but they are the only ones - apart from the honey variety you get at "dm" or some organic shops - that I have ever seen in these parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always interested in Dutch Droste choc pastilles. You can get them in England but they've been steadily getting too expensive over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, do you happen to know "Scho-ka-kola", the caffeine chocolate in a tin box, or "pocket coffee" which is real liquid espresso in a sugar chocolate coating? Both are very popular with our guild members from abroad and also our friends from America and Finland who like to have both handy at their booths during the SPIEL.
You can easily get them at "real" markets, and we found some at the "Kaufhof" food department. Both are not particularly expensive. Our friend from Belgium who has just been over took some home because he can't get "pocket coffee" at all in Belgium, and "scho-ka-kola" only at an absolutely insane price.
A piece of advice: If you want to go to sleep any time soon and suddenly feel a craving for chocolate - fingers off the scho-ka-cola. During daytime you might think you do not feel much of the caffeine - but at night, it will have you buzzing round the ceilig light till daybreak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
I wouldn't mind someone from the UK bringing me a couple of bags of Porky's scratchings. We might not make it across the pond until next year and my stash is starting to run low already cry . My only alternative is an ex-pat store near Brussels, but €2 a bag is a hefty price for fried pork skin .

You can usually also get them - in snack sized bags but at a fair price - at "The English Shop" in Dortmund (on Westenhellweg; move west from the Reinoldi Church and it will come up on the left).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arboretum wrote:
You can usually also get them - in snack sized bags but at a fair price - at "The English Shop" in Dortmund (on Westenhellweg; move west from the Reinoldi Church and it will come up on the left).

Cheers, will keep that in mind for when we visit Dortmund's Weihnachtsmarkt this year!

Arboretum wrote:
Actually, do you happen to know "Scho-ka-kola", the caffeine chocolate in a tin box, or "pocket coffee" which is real liquid espresso in a sugar chocolate coating? You can easily get them at "real" markets.

We've been shopping at Real for over ten years and I totally missed these all that time. They're on the shopping list for next time, thanks for the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wonder what to bring as a German as Essen is in Germany and there are a lot of shops in Essen. There are some regional snacks here that you can't get that easily in Essen, but usually they need to be kept cool.
Maybe I just need to invade the Ritter Sport factory and steel the experimental and very new stuff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's an idea. May try to access some newer Katjes stuff and bring it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Maybe I just need to invade the Ritter Sport factory and steel the experimental and very new stuff...
Remembering the reports from the last years the Ritter Sport Pfefferminze was sold out everywhere in Essen during Spiel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd blame
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impy wrote:
Locu wrote:
Remembering the reports from the last years the Ritter Sport Pfefferminze was sold out everywhere in Essen during Spiel

That's an idea... buy up the whole Ritter Pfefferminz stock in the run-up to Essen, set up a small booth and sell the bars at €5 a pop devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for 10€ if you want to make a profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
Impy wrote:
Locu wrote:

That's an idea... buy up the whole Ritter Pfefferminz stock in the run-up to Essen, set up a small booth and sell the bars at €5 a pop devil
We have to delete some posts in this thread then... For reasons ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
Arboretum wrote:

Cheers, will keep that in mind for when we visit Dortmund's Weihnachtsmarkt this year!

Arboretum wrote:
Actually, do you happen to know "Scho-ka-kola", the caffeine chocolate in a tin box, or "pocket coffee" which is real liquid espresso in a sugar chocolate coating? You can easily get them at "real" markets.

We've been shopping at Real for over ten years and I totally missed these all that time. They're on the shopping list for next time, thanks for the suggestions!

All I can say is, our real has them. I cannot guarantee that absolutely every real will have them, as markets have different managements, but they usually have the same products.
Scho-ka-kola is something that often turns up at filling stations (usually at the larger ones), but as small packets only.
I also saw pocket coffee at Galeria Kaufhof in Düsseldorf, but not the branch next to the Altstadt (old town), but only the branch on Schadowstraße; they still have a smallish food department in the basement. You see the small packages with just 5 portions at cashier points in a number of supermarkets, but that particular Kaufhof and our real sell packs of twenty or so (also cheaper that way). The other Kaufhof branch moved their food stuffs to another location nearby, and all of a sudden they do not sell any of the really good things anymore, only those boring goods you get anywhere anyway.
I never saw any multi-packs of Scho-ka-kola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
get off my avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
you also get "Scho-ka-kola" at Edeka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.