Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Replay *experience* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have searched for informations on the replayability of this game. It seems many claimed that they *think* that the replayability is high but I didn't find much from people who actually replayed scenarios multiple times after finishing the campaign or information how good the hard mode is.

Normally I wouldn't worry so much about it. I have played Pandemic a lot of times and still enjoy it since it plays out differently each time and there are enough things (at least with the expansions) that can be varied to provide a satisfying experience.

So will this be similar with this game or are the scenarios more like a puzzle that will always play the same and be boring once you solved it once?

I don't worry so much about the price but I would hate to have a game with so much content (plastic content, no less) to just collect dust on my shelf after I finished the campaign.

I'm not interested in *opinions* from people who haven't actually replayed scenarios but I want to mainly hear from people who finished the campaign and still enjoy playing this.

Tobias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco van Barneveld
Netherlands
EDE GLD
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ola,

I've finished mission 10 last week and and in between the subsequent missions I replayed earlier missions with other players.

I found that, just like most other games, you know the criteria to win, but the cards you get, the dies you roll, the choices players make create a different game. A mission that is a breeze one time can be lost another.

Also this game leaves easy room for custom adjustments to suit your liking and fanmade scenarios or playmodes can be added to the fun.

I feel there are plenty ways to play (with) this game.

good luck deciding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am only half way thru the campaign, but have played those missions multiple times with different people each time.

I can say that so far the missions are replayable and fun, I will say that mission 1 which I treat as a tutorial is a little worn out for me, but other than that one I like the others I have played.
I think some are a little too easy to complete, but since I have about half a game to go, and I hear there is a hard mode, I am not worried
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played MvM every week end from November to January, completing the campaign twice and have been replaying missions outside the campaign many times since January. Our favourites are Mission 2, 3 and 4. For us, each of these missions is more interesting than Pandemic.

Edit: after unlocking schematics and damage cards in our first campaign, we keep them with the base deck so when we are playing Mission 2, we can use schematics from Mission 3-10 and getting the more advanced damage cards. That makes the game more interesting for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
Esvath wrote:
I have played MvM every week end from November to January, completing the campaign twice and have been replaying missions outside the campaign many times since January. Our favourites are Mission 2, 3 and 4. For us, each of these missions is more interesting than Pandemic.

Thanks. Have you tried the hard mode as well? Is it really harder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I played through the campaign 1.6 times, and we're currently playing it again with 4 players.

So yeah, there's definitely replayability. You'll want to try different characters, try missions with different strategies, then there's also a new mode that unlocks after clearing the campaign the first time.

I'm sure it's good for at least three full playthroughs, if you enjoy theme and mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played through the campaign twice... Once in normal mode... and then again in hard mode.

I'm currently going through the campaign a 3rd time with a different group of people (in normal) and still having a good time. Like a poster above, I agree Mission 2 is the best.

Though I will mention... once you've experienced Hard Mode... normal mode is just too easy. With this 3rd group I'm going through it with, we've only lost once and it was in the 4th round of Mission 7 and it really only due to a horrible draw of cards at the beginning. We quickly restarted and breezed by it. We have found only a handful of times where it felt "hard."

I may just start playing in Hard Mode from the beginning, expect maybe Mission 8! HORRIBLE Mission 8! Tough as nails in Hard Mode... and long!

Anyway, I think the replay-ability is high and I'm sure more will post more missions and various ways to play to keep it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therobbot wrote:
Hi,

I have searched for informations on the replayability of this game. It seems many claimed that they *think* that the replayability is high but I didn't find much from people who actually replayed scenarios multiple times after finishing the campaign or information how good the hard mode is.

Normally I wouldn't worry so much about it. I have played Pandemic a lot of times and still enjoy it since it plays out differently each time and there are enough things (at least with the expansions) that can be varied to provide a satisfying experience.

So will this be similar with this game or are the scenarios more like a puzzle that will always play the same and be boring once you solved it once?

I don't worry so much about the price but I would hate to have a game with so much content (plastic content, no less) to just collect dust on my shelf after I finished the campaign.

I'm not interested in *opinions* from people who haven't actually replayed scenarios but I want to mainly hear from people who finished the campaign and still enjoy playing this.

Tobias

It is easiest just to compare it to something else. Mechs VS Minions is as replayable as a Dungeon Crawler. You have a stagnant scenario that adds in a few difficulty modifiers but in the end it is the same scenario. Depending on how that makes you feel will determine how replayable you will find the experience.

If for example you play Descent, Imperial Assault, etc, and replayed the same campaign a 2nd time it feels a lot like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therobbot wrote:
Esvath wrote:

Thanks. Have you tried the hard mode as well? Is it really harder?

I am playing with my 7-yo son so even the Normal mode is a challenge for us. Usually we play at Easy mode.
Looking at the Hard mode, yeah, that will make the game harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Denton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
I can die fighting. I imagine it's easier the second time around.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing with 3 different groups - still with my game. I've enjoyed it every time. I think a lot of that is the different people I'm playing with. There's not any overlap (family, work friends, gaming group outside of work people). It's just a fun game. Besides, I think it's pretty darn easy to come up with your own missions for this game, and that makes it pretty endless.

Still, to stick to your point, I don't think any replays are a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.