BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Deciding player 1 ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jebroni Games
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Does anyone use or even like a card swap mechanic for determining player one for each round?

There are 8-12 rounds in my game and player 1 can be important, it certainly is going to be for the final round.

I think simple clockwise rotation is a little boring so want another idea, hence the card swap... whoever swaps the highest card goes first. If it's a tie the player 1 from the last round goes first.

Thoughts would be appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Barker
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by "a card swap mechanic"? Without knowing more about your game, that doesn't tell us very much.

Is it an advantage or a disadvantage to go first? If it's an advantage, give it to the person who did the worst on the previous round. If it's a disadvantage, give it to the person who did the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Lumiukko
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I understand what you mean correctly, players select a card from their hand and reveal at the same time, and the higher card starts?

That sounds like bidding and there are many games where you have to do some sort of bidding to determine player order.

For example in Five Tribes you bid with money to choose your spot in the player order. The difference here is that it's not simultaneous reveal.

Game Of Thrones does this in a simultaneous way I believe.

In Evo it's also turn by turn bidding, where you bid for an upgrade as well as turn order at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also not unusual for modern games to give a slight bonus to players who play later in turn (more money to start with being very common).

Or allowing an action to take the first player from another player. That is also a recurring thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebroni Games
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, yes looking at your replies it is more like bidding using cards in hand. Each player passes one card to the right. The game has an area control element to it so there is a benefit to going first, but to go first you have to get rid of a high (good value) card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.