BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Memorization techniques rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Annika
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
In a lot of games it is a huge advantage to remember a variety of things, e.g. what cards/tiles have already been played, who is out of or in need of a certain resource, how many victory points and how much money does everybody have etc. One way to deal with this is obviously brute force, but it usually only take you so far. Using some kind of mnemotic system would surely be much more efficient.

So, unless you play entirely casually and don't even try to remember what has happened in the game, what goes on in your head while playing? Any ideas you'd like to share? Do you develop new mnemonic techniques for every single game or do you find the majority transferable from one to another. To me it would seem reasonable to use the same mnemonics for recurring things like numbers and colors. I just learned these mnemotics for a standard card deck yesterday https://memocamp.com/en/brain-training-with-memory-technique... but I haven't yet had the chance to use it in a real game. Since many games have cards by suits and value it should be adaptable to a lot of games, I'd reckon, adding a fifth and sixth suit if necessary. But how do you deal with duplicat cards/tiles, especially when there are different numbers of cards for different kinds?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Bush
msg tools
Even in large games I don't find it difficult to remember what has happened or been played. Creating a mnemonic device seems like a lot of work for this. Idk, guess I just have a good memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annika
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for your input, Dracilic! Yes, this has been my way too this far, but sometimes it fails me... I've been playing cards since I was a preschooler and I used to pretty much always remember what cards had been played, but recently I've noticed that sometimes I'm at the end of the game and have to make a decision which card to play but make a stupid error due to not remembering correctly. Maybe I'm just getting old and need mnemotics as crutches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pencil & paper works well, but almost invariably I just make the hidden trackable information (HTI) open in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I just try to remember trends rather than trying to keep track of details. For instance, I would remember that one player picked up a lot of brown cubes but didn't seem to be using them rather than trying to remember that he picked up 8 brown cubes and used 2, so he still has 6. It isn't perfect, but it's good enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano Fish
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely need some sort of memory tracker when I play Colt Express. Between remembering what cards I've schemed already, tracking the other players' schemes, calculating what their next move will be and then picking my next card-- all layered with intermittent hidden information. That game is a memorization disaster! I always lose track of where I am in my scheming.....

I cant tell you how many times I've planned to climb down and loot, but instead climbed down.......then climbed back up again! ......because I'm an IDIOT who forgot that I already schemed that stupid climbing action!!! Nooooo!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do occasionally use memory tricks to track information in games, but I find that it takes away from the enjoyment of the game. For example, when playing Dominion I used to track everyone's score throughout the entire game. But burning and re-burning the images became more work than it was worth.

I use palaces, card names, the phonetic alphabet, etc... all typical classic stuff. Anything from Harry Lorayne's Memory Book is high quality. But if I am playing casually, it just isn't worth it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Read Moonwalking With Einstein and you'll be on your way to remembering anything you want. Plus it's a highly enjoyable book.

But yeah, not sure it's worth it for playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.K. Bentley
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about it. Relax. Play a game. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano Fish
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kent wrote:
Don't worry about it. Relax. Play a game. Have fun.

Fun is for amateurs. I'm here to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.