Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the insipid drama of the ETF decision is over, the next significant event on bitcoin's horizon is the impending miner revolt and hard fork of the chain away from the banker backed development team that has tried to take over the project. If bitcoin and the community it has generated are as strong and anti-fragile as it has been so far, this will be another significant step towards truly ending the legacy financial system's grip on the world.

http://wmstudios.com.au/index.php/blog/108-bitcoin-is-under-...

Quote:
When creator, and inventor Satoshi, handed over control of the source code repository and network alert key to Gavin Andresen, little did he/she (or they), know that this action would result in a snowball effect of a takeover bid by the corporate elites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the point was a currency that wasn't under control of a central authority, and now the complaint is that people are screwing with that currency?

This seems like exactly the bed Bitcoin made for itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dirk
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. I just gotta ask... What is with your throbbing chubby for bitcoin? Are you incapable of posting on anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:
So the point was a currency that wasn't under control of a central authority, and now the complaint is that people are screwing with that currency?

This seems like exactly the bed Bitcoin made for itself.

People are trying to screw with it. If they fail to do so, it will be indicative of the resilience of the system and further evidence that the incentives were well designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-unlimited-reaches-al...

Bitcoin Unlimited Reaches Almost 40%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-13/bitcoin-m...

Bitcoin Miners Signal Revolt in Push to Fix Sluggish Blockchain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://github.com/digitsu/splitting-Bitcoin

Mitigating Bitcoin Forking Risk during Network Upgrade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-03-16/someone-w...

Someone Wants to Stick a Fork in Bitcoin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:

I used to work in the securities market. The idea that two of the major firms got together and wrote up a notebook like this is implausible. The idea that some random guy on the Internet then "stumbled" upon it is even less plausible.

By comparison, "random guy on the Internet made something up" seems like a good working assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
LightRider wrote:

I used to work in the securities market. The idea that two of the major firms got together and wrote up a notebook like this is implausible. The idea that some random guy on the Internet then "stumbled" upon it is even less plausible.

By comparison, "random guy on the Internet made something up" seems like a good working assumption.

Yes, it is clearly satirical, but not entirely baseless conjecture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
LightRider wrote:

So.... like Trump's accusations of being wiretapped by Obama? Completely made up, but you know....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:

It's a guy who believes in a conspiracy asserting that there is a conspiracy, without offering any evidence. It's pretty much the definition of baseless conjecture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
LightRider wrote:

It's a guy who believes in a conspiracy asserting that there is a conspiracy, without offering any evidence. It's pretty much the definition of baseless conjecture.

Your loyalties to the legacy financial system might not allow you to see that bitcoin is being actively opposed both overtly and covertly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
LightRider wrote:

Your loyalties to the legacy financial system might not allow you to see that bitcoin is being actively opposed both overtly and covertly.

I know, right? The reason Bitcoin isn't widely recognized is entirely because of a massive multi-government conspiracy and nothing to do with the fact that I can't buy gas, groceries, or pay my mortgage with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if there's a forum on the ETC website that is lacking multiple spam threads about bitcoin. That could explain why there's a conspiracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Why worry about a system that has too much latency for almost any financial use, has less throughput than a BBS circa 1995, and where all the exchanges are managed by crooks?

It's like setting up a conspiracy to stop Carrot Top from winning the marathon in the next olympics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Why worry about a system that has too much latency for almost any financial use, has less throughput than a BBS circa 1995, and where all the exchanges are managed by crooks?

It's like setting up a conspiracy to stop Carrot Top from winning the marathon in the next olympics.

Telecoms didn't worry about the internet either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
hibikir wrote:

Telecoms didn't worry about the internet either.

So we're agreed that they're not worried. Excellent. Let's move on to the next thread which equates to something trivial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't difficult to understand. I'm sure even some of you people can get it. The legacy financial system is filled with value leaching middlemen. Bitcoin obviates their position. The middlemen are now attempting to reassert their middleness. If you need me to draw you a diagram, I'll do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
This isn't difficult to understand. I'm sure even some of you people can get it. The legacy financial system is filled with value leaching middlemen. Bitcoin obviates their position. The middlemen are now attempting to reassert their middleness. If you need me to draw you a diagram, I'll do so.

Even by your standards this is nonsense.

I have some shares in Microsoft (*). I want to sell them. That means there has to be someone wanting to buy them. I need to find that someone and agree a price. That means someone (or something, this is obviously automatable) matching me with the buyer. That's a service, which requires payment. And that's a middleman. Doesn't matter if we want to deal in pounds, dollars or bitcoin. Ditto for other forms of transaction (e.g. buying and selling options).

(*) Hypothetically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
LightRider wrote:

You're missing the point. "Baseless conjecture" means a conjecture that has no foundation. That you think it's plausible doesn't give it a base.

If I say, "Donald Trump instructed Tillerson to talk about military action against North Korea as part of a plan to get favorable treatment for a real estate deal in China," that's baseless conjecture. I can build a plausible story around it and can chide skeptics that their loyalty to Trump might not allow them to see how he's using his office to enrich himself, but that doesn't mean I have any basis for the specific claim (conjecture) that I'm making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:

First, lovely ad hominem. Well done on raising the standard of discourse to what you want from others.

Second, before you call out others for having "value leaching middlemen," how would you explain Mtgox as something other than worse than that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
LightRider wrote:

Even by your standards this is nonsense.

I have some shares in Microsoft (*). I want to sell them. That means there has to be someone wanting to buy them. I need to find that someone and agree a price. That means someone (or something, this is obviously automatable) matching me with the buyer. That's a service, which requires payment. And that's a middleman. Doesn't matter if we want to deal in pounds, dollars or bitcoin. Ditto for other forms of transaction (e.g. buying and selling options).

(*) Hypothetically.

See also: Bitcoin exchanges

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave you too much credit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.