Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is it worth getting Daybreak NOW just in case? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after the thread discussing the possibility of the product line being discontinued by FFG, I was wondering whether I need to rush to buy the Daybreak expansion while I still can, and whether it will be right for my group.
- We play base + Pegasus + Exodus
- We've only just got Exodus, so far only used the Cylon Fleet Board
- The game is really tough for Humans
- We use Kobol
- We have no major grievances with the game which require fixing
- We wouldn't want anything to drastically lengthen the game
- We like the idea of 16 new characters! Are they all playable in standard games? (Seems like a lot...)

Does it sound right for my group? Is it worth £35 just in case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you ever play with 4 or 6 players, or do you have other games you play with those player counts?

If the former, get Daybreak for the cylon leader Motives.

16 characters? There are 12 new characters in Daybreak, some of which are new versions of previous ones, and some are Cylon Leaders.

We (almost) always play with all expansions to Kobol, and a game takes around 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you ever play with 4 or 6 players

We play with 6 players occasionally. Are the Cylon Leader motives a big improvement? How do they differ? We so far have played with Sympathetic Cylon.

Quote:
16 characters? There are 12 new characters in Daybreak, some of which are new versions of previous ones, and some are Cylon Leaders.

Oops, my mistake. Do the new versions straight-up replace the old versions?

Quote:
a game takes around 2 hours.

We are MUCH slower - our games tend to be 4 hours...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
Quote:

We play with 6 players occasionally. Are the Cylon Leader motives a big improvement? How do they differ? We so far have played with Sympathetic Cylon.

The Motives are what makes the Cylon Leaders work. The CL needs to fulfill 3 Motives, and two must have the allegiance of the winning side. The human-allegiance motives require some bad things must happen to humans, and cylon-allegiance motives require that certain resources are high (there are objectives other than resource ones too). So, the Motives are great at balancing the game.

Daybreak and the Cylon Leader Motives resurrected the game for us when we could not get 5 players. And I love playing Cylon Leader. (We probably played Cylon Leader Agendas once, twice tops.)

(Around 2 hour games are the result of 200+ plays. Occasionally games take 3 hours or less than 2 hours.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak has a lot of good stuff in it. I'd say it's worth getting and playing with immediately, but, even if you don't want to add Mutiny and improved Treachery to the game yet, there's enough good stuff there that you'll want to include it eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak is a fantastic expansion. Worth it for the treachery cards and characters alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
Quote:

Oops, my mistake. Do the new versions straight-up replace the old versions?

I'm not sure what you mean by "straight-up replace". If you have both versions, there's nothing stopping you from still using the old ones.

Generally, where there's a new version of a character, the old version reflects where the character was in season 1 or 2 of the show, and the new version is them in season 4. That's very different for some of them (e.g., Apollo or Baltar).

Both versions are considered "the same person" in the sense that if one of them is selected in a game, the other version is then unavailable for selection, either at the start or after an execution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
So after the thread discussing the possibility of the product line being discontinued by FFG, I was wondering whether I need to rush to buy the Daybreak expansion while I still can, and whether it will be right for my group.
- We play base + Pegasus + Exodus

Daybreak could be a fine addition indeed

possumman wrote:
- We've only just got Exodus, so far only used the Cylon Fleet Board
If you're into a challenge, then an Earth game (10 distance) with CFB is fun for that, especially if humans tend to win games

possumman wrote:
- The game is really tough for Humans

In that case, you may want to stick with CFB and non-Earth, or try CAC with Earth

possumman wrote:
- We use Kobol
Problem solved cool

possumman wrote:
- We have no major grievances with the game which require fixing
Also cool cool

possumman wrote:
- We wouldn't want anything to drastically lengthen the game
Avoid Earth. Avoid the other objectives unless players are familiar with it, or you want to ramp players up to that point.

possumman wrote:
- We like the idea of 16 new characters! Are they all playable in standard games? (Seems like a lot...)
They're all available for any given game, but with restrictions.

--Obviously, there's the character selection rules at the start of the game

--CL are only available if you opt for that option.
-So in 7p games, there's going to be a CL and Mutineer (Mutr.)
-In 5p games, you can do 1 cylon, and Mutr. + CL. (We did one game of this since our group was excited to try out both the Mutr. and CL, but I'd recommend playing straight up with 2 Cylons in general)
-4p or 6p games, CL or Mutr. CL is the overall preferred choice amongst my groups and here on BGG.com
-3p games, no CL

--you can't use Alternate and original characters in the same game, even with execution. So if someone choices Alternate Baltar ("Cultar" as some refer to him as ), then nobody can choose "Polly" Baltar. Even if Cultar got executed

possumman wrote:
Does it sound right for my group? Is it worth £35 just in case?
Questions of this nature can be interpreted with "plays per cost" ratio, or other factors. Here, I'd say if you play at least once every 2 months, definitely.

a1bert wrote:
possumman wrote:
Quote:

The Motives are what makes the Cylon Leaders work. The CL needs to fulfill 3 Motives, and two must have the allegiance of the winning side. The human-allegiance motives require some bad things must happen to humans, and cylon-allegiance motives require that certain resources are high (there are objectives other than resource ones too). So, the Motives are great at balancing the game.

Daybreak and the Cylon Leader Motives resurrected the game for us when we could not get 5 players. And I love playing Cylon Leader. (We probably played Cylon Leader Agendas once, twice tops.)

(Around 2 hour games are the result of 200+ plays. Occasionally games take 3 hours or less than 2 hours.)

Another interesting thing with Motives are instead of "6 choose 1" for the Agendas, the Motives end up being "14 choose 4", so there's much more variety in card combinations.

Granted, there are cases where the CL can play kingmaker since his Motives dictate he can win with either team, and the situation presents itself as such, but those are the exception than the norm, and they're still better than Agendas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the advice - I ordered it this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
Both versions are considered "the same person" in the sense that if one of them is selected in a game, the other version is then unavailable for selection, either at the start or after an execution.
FWIW, I allow both copies. Just as a cylon leader can be on the human team, we could have two copies of the Apollo model, and both of them could be on the human team, based on their loyalty cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:
FWIW, I allow both copies. Just as a cylon leader can be on the human team, we could have two copies of the Apollo model, and both of them could be on the human team, based on their loyalty cards.

I thought there was more material on this, but this is the only one I can find about allowing both variants of a character in play at once....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1078349/any-non-theme-r...

I do recall we (the BGG community) discussed somewhere that allowing both Cultar and Baltar could be bad gameplay wise as Cultar could feed miracle tokens to Baltar, and he could potentially scan everyone.

Barring some nutty gameplay situations like that, I can't recall anything else that would prevent this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Marin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FWIW, the manual for Daybreak says both Boomer and Athena can show up in the game at the same time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Lindum Colonia
Flavia Caesariensis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
Thanks very much for the advice - I ordered it this morning.

Does anyone know any stockists in the UK that still have copies of Daybreak, I'm after one. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.