Champions of Midgard» Forums » General

Subject: Who likes sending their guys hunting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

So as I was playing this week, I explained to another player about hunting, adding that I really disliked the chances of it being useful.

If I have enough dice to hunt successfully I can probably kill something and get the points instead.
And even if not, I can probably use that action to do one of many useful things that I wouldnt't otherwise.
(Build boat, market, stave church if I have gold, or get an additional destiny)

I know we are on the cusp of getting some skilled archers that will be awesome for hunting...still spending the action seems expensive.

So I propose an idea, but I am not posting this as a variant, cause I am more interested in the discussion :

What if all your unasigned warrior dice where going to hunt anyway?
You are already choosing not to use them (somewhat of a disadvantage), wouldn't this balance it out? Potentially provide a different Avenue to success (doing badly, missed the kileable enemies, picked up resources, got some food from "free" hunting, traded it in or fought multiple enemies next turn)

Just a thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Heffernan
Australia
flag msg tools
jooice wrote:
Hey all,

So as I was playing this week, I explained to another player about hunting, adding that I really disliked the chances of it being useful.

If I have enough dice to hunt successfully I can probably kill something and get the points instead.
And even if not, I can probably use that action to do one of many useful things that I wouldnt't otherwise.
(Build boat, market, stave church if I have gold, or get an additional destiny)

I know we are on the cusp of getting some skilled archers that will be awesome for hunting...still spending the action seems expensive.

So I propose an idea, but I am not posting this as a variant, cause I am more interested in the discussion :

What if all your unasigned warrior dice where going to hunt anyway?
You are already choosing not to use them (somewhat of a disadvantage), wouldn't this balance it out? Potentially provide a different Avenue to success (doing badly, missed the kileable enemies, picked up resources, got some food from "free" hunting, traded it in or fought multiple enemies next turn)

Just a thought

Not a fan.

Presumably this will trivialise the acquisition of food and make the other squares that give food much less desirable.

Overall hunting is for sure one of the weaker actions, I imagine its a deliberate design choice. A lot of euros have a booby prize action so that those who mess up the turn or get screwed a bit by other players still have something to do at least.

Seemed fine to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you huntmore or less than once a game...i think I am at 1 in 3 or 4 games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hunt just about every game cause it gives me a bunch of food that I can then convert from the Market trade action into anything else I need, this of course depends on if the obvious better actions are already taken or not. But its very powerful for getting another worker first round if you roll decent.

To me its one the more overlooked actions that people think is a wasted action but people who use it early at the right times almost always win are games cause of getting the extra worker so early from using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
But its very powerful for getting another worker first round if you roll decent.

I assume you meant ealry, like 2nd round, hunting wouldn't help you in the first round.

I agree that an extra worker early is super valuble.

Currently there are 3 ways I know to accomplish this;
1. Get the rune that gives you 4 resources to gain 4 gold, etc.
2. Use one of the 4 merchant ships that give resources, and then go to the market and change all you have for the 5 gold.
3. Get 2 free resources from a a market stall (meat and wood, or 2 gold) plus market

Obviously beating a strong drauger is the easy way to get the worker early, but I guess going hunting will all your dice and gaining 3+ meat is also a resnoble strategy, although I always seem to hunt badly (compared to fighting)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
smith2332 wrote:
But its very powerful for getting another worker first round if you roll decent.

I assume you meant ealry, like 2nd round, hunting wouldn't help you in the first round.

I agree that an extra worker early is super valuble.

Currently there are 3 ways I know to accomplish this;
1. Get the rune that gives you 4 resources to gain 4 gold, etc.
2. Use one of the 4 merchant ships that give resources, and then go to the market and change all you have for the 5 gold.
3. Get 2 free resources from a a market stall (meat and wood, or 2 gold) plus market

Obviously beating a strong drauger is the easy way to get the worker early, but I guess going hunting will all your dice and gaining 3+ meat is also a resnoble strategy, although I always seem to hunt badly (compared to fighting)

Sorry yes should of said second round you are correct. But is a great spot to go to get the resources you need to get a worker very early in the game I use it a lot for that purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You get a white dice to start the game. And, you can take dice as a option. I hunt for food the first turn all the time. Then I trade for gold the second turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1qwerty wrote:
You get a white dice to start the game. And, you can take dice as a option. I hunt for food the first turn all the time. Then I trade for gold the second turn.

interesting. I have to say until this thread I had never even considered this strategy, and I have played CoM a lot (buying it right after i came out) (and i usually do well).

I try to get the good drauger or pick up enough resources in a trade.
The big problem in committing to hunting is that its random.

and you need to spend an action to go to the market.

although thanks for sharing, i did not expect these responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.