Puerto Rico» Forums » Variants

Subject: No love for craftsman angst? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I have recently noticed that on Board Game Arena players seem to overwhelmingly prefer the official two player variant (where both players select three roles) rather than the Craftsman Angst variant (where the governor selects three roles and the opponent selects two).

I wonder if there is some underlying reason for this?

[Edit to correct the numbers]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because more people prefer it, doesn't mean it's better.

In practical terms, the official variant will probably finish the game in fewer turns, so it might just be a way of keeping the action moving online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blizzard
United States
Philadelphia
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will suggest it is probably because the official two player rules are the default assumption, and the craftsman angst must be specifically selected. Some will not even notice it is an option, some will see it and not know what it is and stick with the default, and then some will just prefer the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools

I do not think either of those explanations hold water. This is more than just a trend and in fact a very strong pattern. It does not hold for other games on the site, and the balanced variant (swap factory/university cost and give corn players less money) is quite consistently played, even when the official set-up is used.

I suppose time could be an issue but it seems more likely that players are expressing some preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Just because more people prefer it, doesn't mean it's better.

I'd argue that's false in matters where there's no right answer, and it's a matter of opinion. Though its probably most accurate in that case to say there is no better.

All that said, David's explanation definitely seems logical. Ultimately it just seems to be much more popular though, for who knows what reason. People like what they like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe OP in incorrect in how these play. The official 2-player rules say each player takes 3 turns. The Craftsman Angst says Governor takes 3 turns and other player only takes 2.

A lot of people just prefer the official rules and don't like having to tweak a game unofficially to "fix" it. Also, the Craftsman Advantage is actually a lot of fun as well, it just revolves around a different strategy. Both players get the same opportunity so it's still fair. I may even prefer it due to the uniqueness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
jrdavis4 wrote:

A lot of people just prefer the official rules and don't like having to tweak a game unofficially to "fix" it. Also, the Craftsman Advantage is actually a lot of fun as well...

I agree the effect is interesting. I am more just surprised by the consistency (I am collecting data on games so seeing a lot and the official is overwhelmingly preferred). But players do frequently (well over two thirds) choose the 'balanced' version rather than the official rules, even playing with the official two-player rules so it cannot be as simple as an inbuilt preference for the rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.