Subject: Wait for the expansion? Or buy together? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I have been reading great reviews about this game and want to try it, since i love another deck builder(marvel legendary).

I will only play solo(with 2runners), but everyone i saying that the game is hard, should i buy together with the HCO to improve this an other stuff? Or play and lose some games before buying the expansion?

Best regards,
Ricardk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion comes with an intro scenario that's much more suited for new players. I bought them together and I would recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is eminently playable despite the difficulty, but HCO does give you more options to start out with (easier missions and extra cards that help out a lot). I recommend both - of course, you never know if you'll actually like it until you play it, so buying the bundle is an increased risk.

I liked Marvel Legendary, but SR:CF pretty much fired it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
msg tools
badge
I also play this solo, so here are a few tips about it:

1. This game is extremely difficult with 2 characters, to the point it feels unfair and even broken.
The reason is the game has 4 damage types, and each character specializes in 1. So for each character below 4, you get a disadvantage, as the enemies will require all 4 types to be defeated.

I began playing with 2 characters, then went to 3, then to 4.
The game is still very difficult with 4 characters (really) but at least you have better chances.
So be prepared to control 4 characters if you get the game.

2. The expansion has an advantage of providing more versatile characters, so with it you might want to tackle the game with less characters. It also makes the game a bit easier, which is another advantage for playing with less than 4 characters.
It also has a disadvantage, in the form of cards that forbid you to speak with your teammates - which obviously isn't relevant in solo mode.
It's a small disadvantage, as the game is hard enough even when you get this minor advantage of ignoring this specific effect.

3. Finally you should consider that this game has much less content than Legendary. After playing it a lot I really feel how much expansions are needed, and since we only got 1 I am quite skeptical that we'll ever get more.

I wouldn't say I don't recommend it, but you should really know all the above and feel comfortable with it, otherwise you'll be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to encourage anyone to buy an expansion for a game they haven't played yet.

But I love this game. It is easily one of my top 5 games of all time. It is the game that redeemed deckbuilding for me after several games failed to stick (Dominion, Ascension, Marvel Legendary, Penny Arcade).

If you think you will like it after researching it, you probably will. Rahdo's run through is what sold me on the game and it was exactly what I expected after seeing that video.

The expansion does help ease the game up a bit. The combo roles do help with having better deck access. The base game roles are 4 of one card type with 1 each of the other three. The two new roles in the expansion are 3 each of 2 types, with 1 card of a third, and one not represented at all. This portion of the expansion you can do with the base game as well though. Its just starting deck structure.

Then there are the scenarios. THere is a scenario better suited for new players in there and more scenarios is always good in my opinion, but I do think they are not must haves.

Finally, the expansion offers new cards for the black market, including dual color cards (decking/physic and magic/social) which help again with getting access to more types of damage more quickly. THese also help and you would of course NEED the expansion to use these, unlike the two new roles/starting decks.

If you think you will like the game after researching AND you are in a situation where buying both together is a savings for you (shipping, taxes, etc) I would say go right ahead. Otherwise, if it isn't that much more to buy them separately, I would probably still recommend just the base game.

Context: I have played Crossfire 70+ times, 40-50 of which were solo, 30-40 of those were solo without the expansion. I think the base game is just fine on its own, but the expansion is a must buy IF you like the game. It is more of the good stuff that the base game gives you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is great by itself. Get it, if you have a chance, and then get the expansion.

We've played 40+ games of the base game before getting the expansion, so the replay value is there(also we never attempted The Dragon, and most of the plays were the Crossfire mission[the best mission, including expansions])

Don't be to worried by the difficulty, it's normal to loose your first couple of games(some rules are easy to miss).
You might want to switch to "The extraction" mission after a few games, even if you don't have the necessary karma, since it's a bit more forgiving.

But do get the expansion though, the new obstacles have nice twists, and the market cards are really cool and fun. Also the "Pandemic" mission, gave us some of the most tense and satisfying moments in any co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Raphael24 wrote:
3. Finally you should consider that this game has much less content than Legendary. After playing it a lot I really feel how much expansions are needed, and since we only got 1 I am quite skeptical that we'll ever get more.

I wouldn't say I don't recommend it, but you should really know all the above and feel comfortable with it, otherwise you'll be disappointed.

Catalyst reps in the forums have done everything but outright say there is a new expansion in the works. They are probably under an NDA, but I believe there is at lease one more expansion on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
msg tools
badge
JBMoby wrote:
Raphael24 wrote:

Catalyst reps in the forums have done everything but outright say there is a new expansion in the works. They are probably under an NDA, but I believe there is at lease one more expansion on the way.

Cool! Good to know.
I personally think the game has quite good longevity, but since the OP said he played Legendary I thought it's good to compare them.
However, I would also say that Crossfire is a far better game than Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Archidelic wrote:
Hi,

I have been reading great reviews about this game and want to try it, since i love another deck builder(marvel legendary).

I will only play solo(with 2runners), but everyone i saying that the game is hard, should i buy together with the HCO to improve this an other stuff? Or play and lose some games before buying the expansion?

Best regards,
Ricardk

I play 2 runners exclusively and find it works extremely well. Don't be put off by others who say it doesn't work. I highly recommend you get HCO so as to have the best first experience with the game as possible. It sure is hard but you get better the more you play, and HCO flattens that learning curve a good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably hate 90% of the board games i play.

But I loved Shadowrun Crossfire. I played it solo about 30 or 40 times. Always using 4 characters.

I think the core game is all you really need to enjoy this game.
The only thing I noticed that the expansion does is add cards to make it more balanced.

You see in the core game you have some event cards that are bad, or neutral. then you got some that just plain break the game and kill you pretty much (i just removed those from play)

The expansion, while very thought out, I felt was nothing more than ways to balance the game. It adds vehicles to the game. These vehicles both serve the bad guys (as a barrier) or serve the player as a way to AVOID these unbalanced event cards. Also it adds a bit more flavor to one of classes.

The one thing I didnt like was that you just throw all these cards together and now you have a bigger stack. As a minimalist the idea of playing with 150 cards sounds way more appealing than playing with 500 cards. I know most wont agree with me, but I just hate thick stacks of cards.

In the end I would say for sure buy the core deck and the expansion. The game is just too awesome not to buy everything that is released. But if you want to test it out just get the core. You arent missing anything by not getting the expansion.

The developers are planning on a reprint and another expansion. I just hoping its 2nd ed core game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:

I play 2 runners exclusively and find it works extremely well. Don't be put off by others who say it doesn't work. I highly recommend you get HCO so as to have the best first experience with the game as possible. It sure is hard but you get better the more you play, and HCO flattens that learning curve a good deal.

This. Half the games I play are with 2 runners, and it balances well; just make sure you take your extra NuYen and Crossfire skips. HCO smoothes out much of the game, not making it less difficult just a little more consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We all started with the base set.

It's a good place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tsekos

Kalamata and/or Athens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this game always solo and always with 2 characters.
Unless a really bad sequence of events happens i win nowdays.
I started with base only but when you go with the expansion there is no going back.
IMHO go with the expansion from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Archidelic wrote:
Hi,

Best regards,
Ricardk

There is nothing common between Legendary and SR:CF.
Don't waste your money if you don't have a stable party of 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chabster wrote:
Archidelic wrote:
Hi,

Best regards,
Ricardk

There is nothing common between Legendary and SR:CF.

Welp, that's incorrect. According to myself and many others on this thread, it's quite enjoyable to solo with two characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chabster wrote:

I've been very happy pairing up with my wife against this game.

Why do you think that anything less than a full set of 4 players isn't worthwhile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had plenty of fun playing 1, 2, and 3 player games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Chabster wrote:

I've been very happy pairing up with my wife against this game.

Why do you think that anything less than a full set of 4 players isn't worthwhile?

I enjoy 4 players Solo. Its not messy. No idea why these people don't like 4 classes. So much more fun. Maybe because it's too tough with all the random events and enemies being drawn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with two, I got them up to a certain point and decided to start over with two more characters. Once I go through the various scenarios I've gotten through with the first two and get them to a close Karma level, I'm going to start playing 4 handed.

I think now that I have over 50 plays in, it won't be confusing nd I could have done this long ago...I think once I got HCO and the mixed classes, I delayed doing this, but now I've gotten to the point where I'm playing either harder scenarios or tougher variants that would probably benefit from having more characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the great feedback, I will buy it together, the thing is... is out of stock in Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Pentz
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I was able to find it on Amazon in the states, but none of my local shops had it. I really hope they print some more. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.