Smash Up» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Let's Talk About: Steampunks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. What is your favorite Steampunk minion?
2. What is your favorite Steampunk action?
3. What factions do you like to pair Steampunk with?
4. What are your thoughts on the Steampunk bases (Inventor's Salon and Workshop)?
5. Why do you think it fails or succeeds as a faction?
6. What combos does the faction have by itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
desocupado wrote:

Cap'n Ahab. His great movability is cool, and the rest of the minions are boring.
desocupado wrote:

Agrromotive, it's like having another 5 power minion in the deck. Only it's harder to destroy this one because of Steam Queen and Ornate Dome.
desocupado wrote:

DRAGONS, DRAGONS, and oh, DRAGONS. Really insane.
desocupado wrote:

4. What are your thoughts on the Steampunk bases (Inventor's Salon and Workshop)?

Yawn. Workshop can be cool for some free actions I guess.
desocupado wrote:

It just doesn't seem to have the extra plays and draw it needs to really pack a punch.
desocupado wrote:

Mechanich is great for everything. With Zepplin and Capitan Ahab you can have near complete moveability so that's cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo H
msg tools
1. Mechanic...for semi-obvious reasons
2. Rotary Slug. Turns Ahabs into fours, and clearly has tons of power
3. Like to pair them with Time Travelers, Magic, Werewolves, Bear Calvary, Super Heroes
4. Inventor's Salon is definitely on-theme, I like it. Workshop can be stupid over-powered, but I still like it
5. IMO, Steampunk is basically all about the timing of your draws. If you start the game with two Mechanics and don't draw your main actions (Aggro and Rotary Slug), then you probably aren't going to do very well. However, if you can take some early bases with these actions and then continue to use them multiple times in the game, then Steampunks become one of the best factions and nearly unstoppable. An early Difference Engine can really help the faction succeed.
6. One of my favorite combos within Steampunks basically starts with setting up a Steam Man or other minion at a base with a Zeppelin, and then one or more Ahabs at any other base. Then in one turn, if you have Rotary in your discard, you can play a Mechanic on literally any base, move all of your minions there, and win the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Mechanic hands down. So much aggromotive abuse.

2. Aggromotive - steampunks are centered around this card; besides it is one of the best cards in the game due to high burst potential

3. Dragons, mythic greeks, wizards, time travelers, but they work best with zombies.

4. The bases are ok in terms of rewards and game play. Not a big fan of Inventor's saloon due to its low reward for second and above average break point, but both bases are well designed.

5. When they fail, steampunks fail because they didn't draw/abuse aggromotive. When they succed, they succed because of it. Overall, they are too highly dependent on this card.

6. Ahabs, Zeppelin, Mechanic, are good combo enablers. CHange of venue and escape hatch add versatility

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Mechanic. Steam Queen is more of a synergistic card paired with other base/minion action factions, but Mechanic gives Steampunks true longevity and burst by allowing Aggromotive or Rotary Slugthrower to come out to play again and again.
2. Rotary Slugthrower and Aggromotive, obviously. I think if I had to choose between the two I would choose the latter. It takes three minions on a base to make RS better than Aggromotive, but since Steampunks have no extra minion plays it's not as effective.
3. Time Travelers, Wizards, Apes, Fairies, and Bear Cav.
4. Both of the bases have excellent positive abilities. Inventor's Salon can help you recover that beloved Aggromotive/Rotary Slugthrower, while Workshop can really get some amazing combos out there.
5. Steampunks are really one of the strongest factions out there in the game, as well as one of the most fun to play. They can be frustrated by poor draws, but they feel satisfying to use because they're flexible, have excellent burst, and most importantly, can access their best cards multiple times after first usage.
6. The Mechanic+Aggromotive+Rotary Slugthrower gives you at least 11 power in a turn (if not more because of the latter) and is one of the most reliable and potent bursts in the game. With some Captain Ahab setup, you can add an additional +4 power per Ahab you move over. You could even Zeppelin in a Steam Queen to go from 0-18 on a base, which is absolutely ridiculous. What makes this extra dirty is that you can recover Aggromotive and Rotary Slugthrower and use them again up to 4 times total (2 Mechanics, 2 Scrap Diving)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
desocupado wrote:

The Mechanic. Pulling stuff back from the discard and playing them is really useful.

desocupado wrote:

Rotary Slug Thrower +2 power for every minion with zero effort (unlike say door to the beyond), is amazing.

desocupado wrote:

I've yet to try them with tricksters or dragons but I have tried them with werewolves and I really liked the synergy.

desocupado wrote:

They're both good bases, useful enough for non steampunks

desocupado wrote:

It relies way too much on the aggromotive and rotary slug thrower to be useful. If you never get them they're a pretty meh faction at best, and if you get them very early it's a brokenly good faction. I don't like playing with it a ton.

desocupado wrote:

Mechanic plus almost anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin González
msg tools
1. Mechanic is basically the glue of the whole faction, so yeah.

2.Zepellin. I just can't stress how good this card is. IMO one of the best cards in the game.

3.Steamies are pretty good on their own. Factions that provide speed like Wizards, Miskatonic, Spies, or Astro Knights work pretty well. Other factions that provide additional play on a base actions to their kit like Tricksters or Dragons also work well.

4. Both are pretty good. One is a combo extender for them, and the other one mitigates the minuses you get from their power drops. They both work cohesively with the faction in question.

5. It succeeds because its very unique in what it does, and it does it pretty well. Sure, they might need a hand every now and then, and can be notoriously slow if they don't open Slug Thrower or Zepellin, but Smash Up is not a solo faction game anyway.

6. Anything Mechanic related makes for a decent power play, but Steampunks are mostly about placement around the map until they feel that its worth to commit to a single base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.