Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
Bring a Towel!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the following rules question:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Herbology (proficiency) states: If a hero gains 3 or more health on your turn, that Hero draws a card.

Now suppose a Hero is at eight health and plays bezoar on him/herself: Any one Hero gains 3 health. Draw a card

Now what happens?
a) Does bezoar trigger herbology allowing to draw an additional card or
b) Does the maximum of ten health apply and is the hero only allowed to gain two health without triggering herbology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, seconded. You have to actually gain the health for it to apply, and you can't gain health beyond 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that actually obvious?

I ask, because this sort of thing happens a lot. Bezoar triggers a bonus when you add 3 health, and sometimes you can only add 1 or 2 (or a DA card means you can add none). There are other cards that have a similar interaction.

I know the designer has said that if a DA card forces you to choose between losing health and discarding an ally, you always have to choose one if you can. I.E. if you are stunned, you can't say "I choose to lose health," you still have to discard the ally if you have one. But it's not obvious that Bezoar fits in the same category.

Obviously, if a DA card or villain stopped any heroes from gaining health, you couldn't play Bezoar and then get a card with herbology. But why not if you just went from 8 to 10 health?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joep
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
Bring a Towel!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's tricky. Surely you can be effected by stuff that entitle you to gain three or more health. It's perfectly fine to play spells that give health to a player even if his health is at the maximum. It's just that you can't go over ten health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I acknowledge this isn't clear. I may be importing understandings from other games. An official ruling would be helpful.

I agree you can play a card, like a Butterbeer, to benefit a character that has 10 health, even though the 1 health the card grants is wasted (the character gains the 1 influence).

The question is: does "gaining" equal the act of selecting the character to receive the health, or "gaining" actually registering the health increase on the character board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
China
Guangzhou
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
It doesn't apply.
Yep. Protip, make the Neville player right before Ron in turn order. Neville/Herbology can be difficult to pull off if Ron accidentally keeps healing everyone to 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
An official ruling would be helpful.

Its in the Game 6 section of the Comprehensive Rule Clarifications & FAQ
(Top of page 8 on the current version.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
elcoderdude wrote:
An official ruling would be helpful.

Its in the Game 6 section of the Comprehensive Rule Clarifications & FAQ
(Top of page 8 on the current version.)

Arg. Serious search-fu failure. I searched on gaining health in general but didn't think to search on Herbology (or check the unofficial FAQ). Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joep
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
Bring a Towel!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that's settled then. Thanks for helping me figure this out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.