Letters from Whitechapel: Dear Boss» Forums » General

Subject: Quick Synopsis After Purchasing Last Night rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Bought this last night, so obviously I haven't played it yet but ...

Miniatures:

The miniatures are nothing special. They are small, light, and have a kind of a cheap look to them in all honesty. I might agree that the pawns are nicer, but I guess the minis are nice to have.

I think the wretch minis might be the best, followed by the Jack minis. I didn't like the police minis at all in the quick look I had at them. Maybe they'll grow on me?

Rules:

Rules leave something to be desired. It's just 2 large single sheets, double sided. One side of one of the sheets is a page you are to photocopy and use to keep track of what optional variants you are using and who won the game ...

So really it's only 3 pages of rules, and some things feel like they are kind of glossed over and not fully explained in detail.

Suspect Cards:

I like these. The Jack The Ripper player randomly selects one of these cards during setup. They come in 4 difficulty levels, with multiple cards in each level, so you can sort out what difficulty you want to try and draw from those cards accordingly.

These cards have a listing in the top right corner. The first is the area of the map that Jack must select his hideout in. The next 4 correspond to the 4 Nights of the game, and list any areas of the map that Jack can't commit a murder in during a given night.

Jack's suspect card is kept behind his player screen, and only Jack knows the details of the card throughout the game.

Victim Cards:

I REALLY like these. Before the game 8 victim cards (I believe there are something like 12 in total) are randomly drawn. These are the potential victims that Jack can murder on any given night.

Each victim has a number in the top corner, that corresponds to the scene of the crime for that victim. Each red circled spot on the map has a victim cards, additionally there are 4 (or more? can't remember) victim cards with other non-red locations that can also be drawn.

Each cards also provides either a special ability for Jack, or a hindrance for the police players. As such I believe these cards are publicly displayed, although the rules are vague on this point.

I like these because to me this fixes the issue of being able to kill in the same location multiple times.

Police Cards:

5 Police cards that provide individual special abilities for the police players. Less exciting for me than the other two, but I'm sure it adds some spice to the game and balances things out a lot.

Jack Player Screen:

New screen has an improved map layout, and various divisions of the map (as referenced on the new Suspect cards) are clearly displayed for easy reference.

There's a quick synopsis. I just got it last night and read over the rules quickly. So I may have a few things wrong, or not properly explained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write up.

So it sounds like the level 4 cards being different sizes in the FFG edition won't cause any issues.

And I like the sound of this...
WBuchanan wrote:
Victim Cards:

I like these because to me this fixes the issue of being able to kill in the same location multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you about the minis being underwhelming.

I like the options that the new cards bring to the game. I'm looking forward to trying these new elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Yuru
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:

I believe this was not possible anyway.

On page 9 of the LfW rules:

"Note: On the second and subsequent Nights of the game, Jack cannot place
Woman tokens on the red numbered circles occupied by red Crime Scene
markers."

Therefore is impossible for Jack to kill multiple times in the same place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Sir Yuru wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

I believe this was not possible anyway.

On page 9 of the LfW rules:

"Note: On the second and subsequent Nights of the game, Jack cannot place
Woman tokens on the red numbered circles occupied by red Crime Scene
markers."

Therefore is impossible for Jack to kill multiple times in the same place.

If Jack waits to kill the woman tokens are moved off of the red circles. The scene of the crime tokens are placed where the woman token is standing at the time jack kills her, not where she started ...

The Letter From Whitechapel forums are full of discussion on this subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.