Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: On the occasion of RS kickstarter, I want to say, I'm glad I'm thick-skinned rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stan Matz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 2 Queens in Chess. What's up with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddiodaddio wrote:
There are only 2 Queens in Chess. What's up with that?

That's so offensive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
More like:

Daddiodaddio wrote:
There are only already 2 Queens in Chess. What's up with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Justice
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
ElCapitan76 wrote:
ayejae wrote:

It's very dangerous to dismiss people as being offended by everything just because they're not thick-skinned.

Not just dangerous, but very dangerous?

I agree w/ the OP, thicken it up folks. The tendency today to give significance to the trivial and to trivialize the significant is what I find more... let's say, troublesome.

Who determines triviality?

I'll go out on a limb and say it's not your gender studies professor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
DA_Maz wrote:
I think these threads are hilarious... People are upset about other people getting upset. Then the upset people are getting upset about the people who are upset that they are upset. Upsetting isn't it? whistle

That's the thing, people generally aren't against female representation. They're more against the extremist argumentative attitudes people take.

I care deeply about female representation, and I feel like these extremist attitudes do more to hurt the cause than help it, turning the board game community into an argumentative place that spends more time arguing about inclusivity, than it does talking about games.

Progress is made on these issues by encouraging your female friends to take up gaming, calling out creeps who make the environment less hospitable, and game designers, like Eric Lang, Isaac Childres, Level 99, Mindclash and Roxley Games, etc... pushing for more female diversity in their games. Not arguing on message boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Progress is made on these issues by encouraging your female friends to take up gaming, calling out creeps who make the environment less hospitable, and game designers, like Eric Lang, Isaac Childres, Level 99, Mindclash and Roxley Games, etc... pushing for more female diversity in their games. Not arguing on message boards.And continuing this important conversation here on bgg.

Fixed it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
ScoobyG wrote:
C3Gaming wrote:
Progress is made on these issues by encouraging your female friends to take up gaming, calling out creeps who make the environment less hospitable, and game designers, like Eric Lang, Isaac Childres, Level 99, Mindclash and Roxley Games, etc... pushing for more female diversity in their games. Not arguing on message boards.And continuing this important conversation here on bgg.

Fixed it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron L.
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
C3Gaming wrote:

Fixed it for you.

Not really. I have yet to see a message board really change people's minds about contentious subjects. You can sway someone one way or another about the purchase of a game, but you won't change people's minds about RSP. Look at any message board on any news site about any contentious topic where people with differing views are engaged in conversation with one another. They all quickly become flame wars, no change occurs, and both sides appear angrier than when the conversation began. Influencing change requires stronger relationships and personal engagement which is why political, business and organizational leaders still fly from city to city for meetings. If you want to enact real change, mentor future board game designers at the boys and girls club, engage board game designers at panels during conventions, or design your own board game. Fighting here won't get you what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajlaw wrote:
You can sway someone one way or another about the purchase of a game, but you won't change people's minds about RSP.

All fair points, but it does still help in some ways I think:

-It allows for those who share a particular opinion to feel that they are not alone, concerning a specific corner of a specific hobby. This in turn usually makes them feel better (at least it does for me), and encourages them to voice their opinions as well, and/or adds a nudge towards seeking "actual" change outside of these boards. Maybe a very small difference, but present nonetheless.

-It allows people who are oblivious of some issues, because of lack of exposure mostly, to become more aware and potentially engage with them in a productive manner. More than once I have read comments that made me realize how my personal view on a topic was limited, despite my attempts to be as informed or as understanding as possible. Again, maybe a small thing, but I think still a valuable one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darth vader
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this message boards are starting to look like trench warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Matz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
ElCapitan76 wrote:
ayejae wrote:

It's very dangerous to dismiss people as being offended by everything just because they're not thick-skinned.

Not just dangerous, but very dangerous?

I agree w/ the OP, thicken it up folks. The tendency today to give significance to the trivial and to trivialize the significant is what I find more... let's say, troublesome.

Who determines triviality?

Trivial? We're talking about balanced representation of gender on miniatures here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.