Subject: Questions about training dummy & "cannot take the action" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uranus TheBeatPoet
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are some cards in this game that allow a player to do X, where X is Take Goods AND the amount of goods taken could, in some cases, be 0.

Examples are the Tax Office. If you go to the Tax Office in a 2P game when your opponent has literally 0 of every good (like RIGHT after he shipped everything to buy a building), you would get 0 goods.

Another example is the Storehouse. You would get 1 good of your choice and then 1 more good per Warehouse you own, which could end up being 1 + 0 if you own no Warehouses.

So, with the Training Dummy, when he encounters the Tax Office, normally, the player gives him one good of the players choice and he gets that one good plus a duplicate of that good from the "bank." Likewise, when the Training Dummy encounters the Warehouse, he takes 1 copy of whatever resource is most valuable and then gains additional copies of that resource per Warehouse he owns.

But what if the player has 0 goods (for the Tax Office) or the Training Dummy owns 0 Warehouses (for the Storehouse)? Does he take nothing/1 good of the highest value + 0 additional goods, respectively? Or does he do his default action (+1 of every good)?

I THINK he gets nothing/1 good + 0 additional goods. In short, he CAN take those actions. Those actions result in no gain/less gain than they could, but they are still legal actions, right?

Anyway, any advice on this would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies that I'm not offering help with your specific question(s). But if you become frustrated or bored with the clunky, unfun training dummy solo variant, you may find a bit of fresh air with this variant:
The 20-Move Solo Challenge: a quicker and easier one-player variant
Trainig dummy = work. 20-turn solo = fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he can take those actions. Just treat him like another player - could be go to the space and execute all the instructions there (without making a choice)? Then he can take the action.

I like the 20 turn version about the same as the training dummy (and saying it's clunky to move the dummy one space and execute the action is hyperbole at best). If you consistently beat the training dummy, I would switch over to the 20 turn solo, because (gasp) the training dummy is for training.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.