Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going by memory without the card in front of me, so forgive miswording.

This card requires a wisdom check, which if passed allows you to potentially explore the next card in the location deck.

But as we were playing, we did not see a way to banish it. The last sentence on the card says to place it on top of the deck face up. It's spaced so that this is grouped with the 'failed check' instructions, but the sentence read by itself doesn't have any qualifier.

Am I playing correctly that this would stay on top of the location deck until we close the location? We looked for other barriers, and I fear that it is implied to banish if you succeed the check, but going strictly by the wording I don't think so. Seems like a tough barrier, which I liked, but also felt it was a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at my records, not the card, but I think this is right:

Lookout Duty wrote:
The difficulty to defeat this barrier is increased by the adventure deck number of the current scenario, if any.
If defeated, you may look at the top card of the barrier's location deck; if it is a monster, you may immediately encounter it.
If undefeated, your ship is dealt 1 Structural damage. Leave this barrier faceup on the location deck; characters at this location encounter this barrier as their first exploration each turn.

I admit I am puzzled this is a question.

Say you encounter Lookout Duty, and you fail the check to defeat.
Your ship is dealt 1 structural damage.
You put Lookout Duty faceup on the location deck.
You don't encounter it for the rest of your turn.
On the first encounter any character makes at the location, they encounter Lookout Duty. It's an encounter. Exactly the same as if you explored a deck and flipped over Lookout Duty. If you defeat it, follow the "if defeated" instruction and then banish it, like any defeated non-villain bane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I played Runelords, and I may be remembering rules wrong. But I thought you would only banish barriers if the card explicitly said to. I realize I was probably remembering a case where you banish it DESPITE failing the check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time you defeat a bane (monster or barrier) you will banish it unless there are instructions on the card that contradict that (or it is a villain that can escape).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
It's been a while since I played Runelords, and I may be remembering rules wrong. But I thought you would only banish barriers if the card explicitly said to. I realize I was probably remembering a case where you banish it DESPITE failing the check.

???

MM rulebook p.10 wrote:
Resolve the Encounter. If you succeed at all of the checks required to defeat a bane, banish it; if you don’t succeed, it is undefeated—shuffle the card back into its location deck.

As stated, villains are an exception.

This language goes back to Runelords.

My best guess is you have some lingering confusion from the Runelords Ambush barrier.... whose disposition was uncertain when undefeated, until it was FAQ'd (you always banish it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Risso
msg tools
mb
I think the problem is: when you play solo whit a character that is weak in wisdom, You can not check succefully against that card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.